Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

P. 831 - Harley Quinn Spinsanity Announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby DRWP2005 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:21 pm

Ok, I've seen these SlideWinders Advertised for years now in Industry Publications, and to me they don't seem all that exciting. Are they fun at all? I've never been on one, however parks keep building them...to me in a way its a cheaper substitute for a ProSlide Tornado.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby CoasterLover » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:52 am

^Funny thing is, SFA already has a ProSlide Tornado. I think they are adding this slide as almost a compliment to Tornado as Tornado easily has the longest lines in the entire waterpark (often the longest lines in the entire park). Tony Hawk's Halfpipe will also provide single rider version of the experience you get on Tornado... I know I've seen several people not in groups that were dissapointed when they found out they could not ride Tornado as a single rider.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:53 pm

okinawaboy11 wrote:Ugh just another pointless low capacity single slide. We need some sort of slide complex like Geagua Lake has.

Or some sort of coaster...It's been 7 years! And they're all broken anyways.
Sorry SFA, KD gets my Season Pass this year.

Yeah,I've been a pass holder since 1998(the final season of the park when it was known as Adventure world) & back then they were doing much better than they have since premier was dumb enough to purchase SFI from Time Warner.....which BTW was done because TW got int oserious trouble by neglecting SFOT & SFOG in the mid to late 90's by refusing to add new rides simply to lower the property values of the t wo parks.

If SFI under Burke's control had taken care of SFA's infrastructure needs,say five years ago instead of going on a coaster building spree at SFMM,SFGRADV & SFGRAM every other season then maybe those problems could've been fixed resulting in a better park but obviously they didn't.

Now since the theme park side of the property is basically getting the shaft(for the fifth year in a row) in terms of new attractions & with the park's 10th anniversary as an SF park in 2009 does anyone still hold out any hope of getting something worthwhile on that side of the park by then?

Mullets never go out of style!

Postby TheRapidsNerd » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:45 pm

Honest question here. Do you think they're pulling another Geauga Lake with SFA, by growing the water park side? If so, could this be a counter measure to the Fredericksburg Kalahari opening up?

I went several years ago (86-89)when it was Wild World, and the water park was pretty fun, but we didn't do the amusement park side and, though it had Wild One, it looked ho-hum.

Just random musings.

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:54 pm

TheRapidsNerd wrote:Honest question here. Do you think they're pulling another Geauga Lake with SFA, by growing the water park side? If so, could this be a counter measure to the Fredericksburg Kalahari opening up?

I went several years ago (86-89)when it was Wild World, and the water park was pretty fun, but we didn't do the amusement park side and, though it had Wild One, it looked ho-hum.

Just random musings.

I think that they
re over expanding the waterpark because it's much cheaper to build a 2 million dollar waterslide than say a 5 million dollar spinning coaster,or even a simple flat ride.If this trend continues I truely see SFA going the way of GL in a few years time.

Shapiro is no better than Burke,in fact he's just as bad if not worse because,like Burke he seems to be playing favorites while leaving the other parks....parks like SFA that need improvement in the way of new rides to rot.He seems to favor SFNE the most because he has family that lives up there.Ever notice that,like last year(2007) the three parks that got wiggles world them areas(SFGRAM,SFGRADV & SFNE are the same three parks getting dark knight mouse coasters in 2008?

Now I'm hoping & praying that,for SFA's 10th anniversary as an SF park in 2009 we'll get something worthwhile like a new coaster or major addition/expansion to the theme park side but I'm not all that confident that such will happen.Instead I see 09 as an off year and 2010 as just another waterpark expansion or a closure of the ride side.

I know it sounds pessamistic to think like that & I really want the park to improve so I can continue going back but I just don't see any real positives in their immediate future right now.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby conpfreak » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:12 pm

KDCOASTERFAN wrote:
TheRapidsNerd wrote:Honest question here. Do you think they're pulling another Geauga Lake with SFA, by growing the water park side? If so, could this be a counter measure to the Fredericksburg Kalahari opening up?

Just random musings.

I think that they
re over expanding the waterpark because it's much cheaper to build a 2 million dollar waterslide than say a 5 million dollar spinning coaster,or even a simple flat ride.If this trend continues I truely see SFA going the way of GL in a few years time.

Shapiro is no better than Burke,in fact he's just as bad if not worse because,like Burke he seems to be playing favorites while leaving the other parks....parks like SFA that need improvement in the way of new rides to rot.He seems to favor SFNE the most because he has family that lives up there.Ever notice that,like last year(2007) the three parks that got wiggles world them areas(SFGRAM,SFGRADV & SFNE are the same three parks getting dark knight mouse coasters in 2008?

Now I'm hoping & praying that,for SFA's 10th anniversary as an SF park in 2009 we'll get something worthwhile like a new coaster or major addition/expansion to the theme park side but I'm not all that confident that such will happen.Instead I see 09 as an off year and 2010 as just another waterpark expansion or a closure of the ride side.

I know it sounds pessamistic to think like that & I really want the park to improve so I can continue going back but I just don't see any real positives in their immediate future right now.

SFA has internal issue to deal with before they introduce another big roller coaster into the park and that's why SFA is doing all that this year. Also, you do remember peopel that last year they sepnt 1 million on restoring Skull Mountain. And for next year they play on having ALL rides reliably operational. So NO there is no Geauga Lake thing going on, the park just has other things to focus on year besides adding new big rides. Also, the waterpark gets ALOT of traffic during the summer to it absolutely makes sense to keep expanding it.

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:18 pm

conpfreak wrote:
KDCOASTERFAN wrote:

Just random musings.

I think that they

SFA has internal issue to deal with before they introduce another big roller coaster into the park and that's why SFA is doing all that this year. Also, you do remember peopel that last year they sepnt 1 million on restoring Skull Mountain. And for next year they play on having ALL rides reliably operational. So NO there is no Geauga Lake thing going on, the park just has other things to focus on year besides adding new big rides. Also, the waterpark gets ALOT of traffic during the summer to it absolutely makes sense to keep expanding it.

Well along with their internal issues they really need to focus on some of their external ones like replacing the rides they've removed with something other than green space(Terry Prather,the new GM @ SFA was famous for doing just that at SFNO).I would start by gettin rid of flashpass & the mandatory fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo first.

SKM should just be removed as it's still a maintenance nightmare even after all the capital they sunk into it last season in a noble but futile effort to improve it's operations & reliability.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Postby SFAfan#1 » Tue May 20, 2008 4:01 pm

With the new slide, Tony Hawk's Halfpipe opening in about 4 days, I was wondering, who is planning on being there? I am planning on going there, but I have other plans :cry:

If anyone is going to go, please take pics. I'll see if I can get some pics in when I finally go sometime next week.

For those of you that know nothing about Tony Hawk's Halfpipe (THHP/THH) it is a "slide with no sides" themed as a skateboard ramp at a skatepark. SFA hasn't yet added any theming to the slide but has mentioned it on the blog.

Also you can talk about the good things about SFA. If you have no good memories about the park, keep it to yourself :butt:

Here are two recently added pics of THHP on the SFA blog.
[/img]
Halfpipe_22.jpg
Halfpipe_21.jpg
Last edited by larrygator on Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:37 pm.
Reason: Added Discussion Thread Information

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby fallen xxi » Tue May 20, 2008 4:41 pm

sounds typical to me...
Six Flags needed to put something in SFA to maybe improve attendance and revenue, so they throw in a water halfpipe with no theming and toss Hawk's name on it to catch an eye.

This looks like pre-Shapiro Six Flags. But then again, who cares about SFA?

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby Mark Rosenzweig » Tue May 20, 2008 5:21 pm

fallen xxi wrote:sounds typical to me...
Six Flags needed to put something in SFA to maybe improve attendance and revenue, so they throw in a water halfpipe with no theming and toss Hawk's name on it to catch an eye.

This looks like pre-Shapiro Six Flags. But then again, who cares about SFA?

I personally found this to be a bizarre choice for this particular waterpark as a Proslide Tornado already exists there. Seems as though the "back and forth" halfpipe motion already exists.

Also, unless I'm missing something, "Hurricane Mountain"- the original waterslide complex of SFA's Waterpark is SBNO as the new Tony Hawk slide blocks access to Hurricane Mountain's entrance, and the old slide complex is no longer on the park's list of attractions or website (despite being clearly visible from within the dry park).

Shame, as the old slides were funky and unique tube slides that sadly had a poor design requiring each individual slide to have their own lifeguard (they drop off of four individual platforms). Surely a staffing issue as the new slide won't need more than a total of two lifeguards.

-Mark

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!