Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

P. 831 - Harley Quinn Spinsanity Announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Only 1/2 CP fanboy

Postby CP_RULES » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:15 pm

There's one of these at Big Surf at the Lake of the Ozarks here in Missouri, they are EXTREMELY fun, and pretty dang thrilling for a water slide.
-Justin Seabaugh -Official Brake Fanboy
M-I-Z-Z-O-U ENGINEERING Go Tigers!

Full Fledged Katonga Enthusiast

Postby Scaparri » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:18 pm

KDCOASTERFAN wrote:They need to get off their butts & start fairly distributing rides equally to their parks or just close a few of them....this is ALL Burke's fault for spoiling SFMM,SFGRADV & SFGRAM punk rotten earlier in the decade while ignoring the remaining parks & bankrupting the chain in the process.

If this keeps up SFA will become the next GL or SFAW I'm sure & this is why I won't get a season pass for 2008,five straight years in a row of neglect with nothing but ride removals & NO replacements while wasting money on only their waterpark doesn't justify the fifty dollar price tag for a pass.

Get off their butts and fairly distribute? First off, when the old management was on their spending spree, I'm pretty sure it was SFA that recieved FIVE major coasters (six coasters total). Second, this is only the second year that the new management has had the ability to decide what and where to install rides. What exactly is so unfair about who's getting rides?

The only ones you could possibly argue are SFNE, SFGAm, and SFGAdv, but neither park has received a new coaster under new management, and SFGAm has had a coaster removed with SFGAdv technically having two removed. As for the others, I don't even see how they can be argued as unfair.

It just amazes me how you make $50 for a season pass to a park that has such high caliber rides and a major water park seem so ridiculous. Since '98, SFA has recieved a GCI woodie, a Vekoma Flyer (was a big deal back then), a Premier LIM bowl, a Vekoma Invertigo (was a big deal back then), a kiddie coaster, and an Intamin hypercoaster. Compared to many other parks, SFA has hardly been neglected.

Just give the "new" management time. I'm sure you'll be taken care of sooner than later.

Besides, where else can you find ANY park that offers a season pass for $50?

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby TexTitan01 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:52 pm

ok, I'm sorry; but does anyone else find the name "Wild Wedgie" to be wildly funny? Sorry, had to put that out there...

Looks like a good idea. I bet these are cheap and low maintenance. I wonder why they havent caught on with smaller-scale water parks? Like maybe putting one in a really ritzy country club or a big public pool or etc. I'm sure there are alot less ways for people to get hurt or fall off them

then again...maybe not
if life gives you lemons, squeeze them in lifes eyes and make it beg for mercy :devil:

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby KGA29 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:25 pm

Scaparri wrote:It just amazes me how you make $50 for a season pass to a park that has such high caliber rides and a major water park seem so ridiculous. Since '98, SFA has recieved a GCI woodie, a Vekoma Flyer (was a big deal back then), a Premier LIM bowl, a Vekoma Invertigo (was a big deal back then), a kiddie coaster, and an Intamin hypercoaster. Compared to many other parks, SFA has hardly been neglected.

Since 98, but how about if we say from 2002 (a good 6 years). What have they recieved? A spinning raft ride, a water park retheme, and 3 water slides (including this one). Oh and they reopened one of their troubled water rides. That's it.

Look at these 3 maps from themeparkbrochures (01, 04, 07)
http://www.themeparkbrochures.net/maps/2001/sfa2001.html

http://www.themeparkbrochures.net/maps/2004/sfa2004.html

http://www.themeparkbrochures.net/maps/2007/sfa2007.html

Not much different. Lately SFA has been neglected from a major attraction and has had 3 of the past 6 years new attractionless.

Full Fledged Katonga Enthusiast

Postby Scaparri » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:38 pm

^Yeah, but my point is, look at the parks that ARE getting something this year or last year, particularly the THBS additions like SFStL, SFDK, SFFT, and SFOT. SFOT's last coaster was 2001. SFStL was 2000, as was SFFT. SFDK had a used coaster in '03 that closed after '04, so before that, it was 2001.

And even if it the last coaster for SFA was in '01, $50 for a season pass is still ridiculously good, especially given the ride collection despite none of the coasters being really new.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby helix » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:09 am

KDCOASTERFAN wrote:
They need to get off their butts & start fairly distributing rides equally to their parks or just close a few of them....this is ALL Burke's fault for spoiling SFMM,SFGRADV & SFGRAM punk rotten earlier in the decade while ignoring the remaining parks & bankrupting the chain in the process.

If this keeps up SFA will become the next GL or SFAW I'm sure & this is why I won't get a season pass for 2008,five straight years in a row of neglect with nothing but ride removals & NO replacements while wasting money on only their waterpark doesn't justify the fifty dollar price tag for a pass.

BatwingFanSFA speaks...

Hmmm.... going the way of AW and GL. Your predictions they weren't going to add anything new this year were on target as well.

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby palmerleeberry » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:16 am

I'm glad that Six Flags America is getting the Tony Hawk's Halfpipe for next season: I'm hoping that will ease the long lines for the Tornado and increase their water park side in popularity and capacity.

Still, I wish the park was getting more for the amusement side to compersate for the flat rides they taken out. Another flat ride would be at least welcomed. Then again, the amusement side needed some fixings to help improve the park that may have cut into overall budget, thus preventing any new attractions.

Oh well, maybe next season.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:39 am

palmerleeberry wrote:I'm glad that Six Flags America is getting the Tony Hawk's Halfpipe for next season: I'm hoping that will ease the long lines for the Tornado and increase their water park side in popularity and capacity.

Still, I wish the park was getting more for the amusement side to compersate for the flat rides they taken out. Another flat ride would be at least welcomed. Then again, the amusement side needed some fixings to help improve the park that may have cut into overall budget, thus preventing any new attractions.

Oh well, maybe next season.

Well 2009 will be their 10th year as an SF park so maybe they've got something planned for the theme park but I sure as heck have no plans to visit in 2008.I simply could care less about what the water park gets because I don't go into that section of the park & now that SFOT's coaster drought will be broken(their last coaster was Titan back in 01) it leaves SFA as the ONLY branded park that hasn't recieved a coaster since then I think the park is long overdue for a new coaster or flats package but I doubt that corporate cares enough to make such an investment & once again I see the park as being in danger of going the GL route as a result.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby CoasterLover » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:19 pm

My opinion, if they were going to just sell the park for the land, they would have done so already. The park has made/is making some considerable investments in the non-ride department that couldn't be re-couped if they just sold the park for land. For example, they spent $1 million in improvements to Skull Mountain (or the ride formerly known as "Typhoon Seacoaster"), they're building a new 4,000 sq ft HR building, they've painted countless rides and buildings, they spent a considerable amount on a new park wide sound system last year, as well as countless smaller projects. Add a new flat or a new coaster and it's not unreasonable to just pick the ride up and move it to another park if you want to sell the park for the land. Additions like SFA has made over the past couple years simply cannot be "picked up and moved to another park" if they were going to just sell the park for the land. While a new sound system or a new HR building are hardly marketable additions, they are necessary to the internal improvement of the park, and right now, more than anything, SFA has to improve its foundation before it can start building on it's ride offering.

Full Fledged Bi Enthusiast

Postby okinawaboy11 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:57 pm

Ugh just another pointless low capacity single slide. We need some sort of slide complex like Geagua Lake has.

Or some sort of coaster...It's been 7 years! And they're all broken anyways.
Sorry SFA, KD gets my Season Pass this year.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!