TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Robb & Elissa's 2005 Europe Trip - Need some advice!

Ok, Europe people! Since you've had the chance to ask us questions, now it's our turn!

We're in the final planning stages for our Europe trip this summer and we need some advice! The following is our day to day itinerary and below are a few questions.

Keep in mind while reading this that we are driving a mini-van during the entire trip, we are doing most of our driving at night after visiting a park, so that we can be at the next day's park for opening. We will usually be done with most parks by 5 or 6pm, so that should give us plenty of driving time at night.

Ok, here's our current plan.

Day 1: Leave LAX 6pm

Day 2: Arrive CDG 2pm, then drive 3 hours, stay at hotel near Brussles

Day 3: Walibi Wavre (Six Flags Belgium), stay at hotel near Brussles

Day 4: Bobejaaland, then drive 4 hours to hotel near Walibi World

Day 5: Walibi World (Six Flags Holland), then drive 4 hours - stay at hotel somewhere near Germany/Denmark border.

Day 6: Drive 4 Hours, Farup Sommerland, take overnight ferry from Fredericshavn to Oslo

Day 7: Tusenfryd, then drive 6 hours to hotel near Liseberg

Day 8: Liseberg, then drive 4 hours to hotel near Tivoli

Day 9: Tivoli & Bakken, stay at Tivoli hotel

Day 10: Bon Bon Land, then take ferry to Puttgarden. Try to visit Hansa Park, then drive 4 hours to hotel near Heide.

Day 11: Heide Park, then drive 4 hours to hotel near WBMW

Day 12: Movie Park Germany (WBMW) then drive 1 Hour to Toverland, then drive 3 hours to hotel near Phantasialand

Day 13: Phantasialand, then drive 1 hour to Klotten Park, then drive 3 hours to hotel near Holiday Park

Day 14: Holiday Park then drive 2 Hours to hotel near Europa

Day 15: Europa Park, then drive 6 Hours to hotel in Verona

Day 16: Drive 3 hours to Mirabilandia, then drive 3 hours to hotel near Gardaland

Day 17: Gardaland, Movie Park/Aqualand then drive 6 hours to hotel near Walibi Rhone-Alps

Day 18: Walibi Rhone-Alps, then drive 4 Hours to Nigloland, then drive 3 Hours to hotel near Walibi Lorraine

Day 19: Walibi Lorraine , then drive 3 Hours to Disneyland Paris, stay at Disneyland Paris

Day 20: Disneyland Paris/Disney Studios Paris, stay at Disneyland Paris

Day 21: Parc Asterix, then Disneyland Paris, stay at Disneyland Paris

Day 22: Leave CDG

Now on to the questions.

Question #1 - Since we are traveling during the last three weeks of June, we are assuming that parks shouldn't be that crowded. Is this a correct assumption? When we did our Europe trip in 2002, we were there during the last 2 weeks of July and the parks were *PACKED*. We're hoping by going a bit earlier, we won't see as many crowds. When do schools officially get out for the summer?

Question #2 - Are the drive times that we have posted accurate? We're going by our maps and mapquest and trying to be a little conservative. But do they look correct or are there drives that we should plan shorter or longer, for example, these in particular:

Question #3 - How long realistically will it take to get from Walibi World to Farup? The maps we have say it should take about 8 hours. Is this realistic? Should we budget less time, more time, or is this about right?

Question #4 - On the drive from Liseberg to Tivoli, we know we have to go over a really big bridge. Any idea of common backups or tolls over that bridge?

Question #5 - On Day 10, when we take the ferry, does anyone think we need to make reservations for this one? It goes about every 30 minutes, and it seems like we should be ok without them, we just want to make sure.

Question #6 - Also on Day 10, is it realistic to be able to hit Hansa park? How much time should we budget for Bon Bon Land? Is it a park we can see in 3 hours or less? And how long would we need at Hansa Park?

Question #7 - On Day 11, would it be possible to hit Fort Fun after Heide Park? Does anyone know what time Fort Fun would close on a Friday night in late June? More specifically, we're actually not concerned about the coasters at Fort Fun, we just want to ride the Alpine Coaster! But we also don't want to sacrifice too much time at Heide. Any idea of how long it would take to drive from Heide to Fort Fun?

Question #8 - On Day 12, we plan on hitting WBMW then Toverland. Is this realistic? We're planning on leaving WBMW by 3pm to get to Toverland by 4pm, which should give us 2 hours at that park.

Question #9 - On Day 13, we are planning on leaving Phantasialand at 2:30pm in order to get to Klotten park. Is one hour drive from Phantasialand to Klotten correct? And is 5 hours at Phantasialand enough?

Question #10 - On Day 14 when we are at Holiday, we are considering trying to also hit Tripsdrill, but we're not sure if that's realistic. How long does the drive take between Tripsdrill and Holiday Park?

Question #11 - We have a LOOOONG drive between Europa and Mirabilandia. We've estimated 8 hours, and we're going to split it up because we want a full day at Europa. Is 8 hours accurate? Do the tunnels get congested, are the roads through Switzerland difficult to drive? How busy do you think Mirabilandia will be on a weekday at the end of June?

Question #12 - Same question as #11, but between Gardaland and Walibi Rhone-Alps? Is 6 hours about right?

Question #13 - We will be at Asterix on the first Monday of July. I have been to this park about 10 times now and it's ALWAYS packed!!! Any idea if we can expect yet another crowded day on a Monday in early July?

Question #14 - We are in the process of booking hotels. We are going to stay at the Liseberg hotel, Phantasialand hotel, Europa Park hotel, and on property at Disneyland Paris. All other nights we are looking for 'motels' that are right off the motorway and easy to get to. Any suggestions?

Question #15 - What can we expect on the overnight ferry we are taking? It is pretty straightforward? Is it "nice?" Are we actually going to get any sleep?

Question #16 - Bonus parks! Can you think of any other 'small' parks that we should consider hitting, even if it's just for a 'credit run' that are "on the way" of our current route. We don't want to go out of our way, since as you can see our schedule is already insane!

Question #17 - Any traveling fairs that you know of that are going on near the parks we are planning to hit? Like I said we'll be in Europe the last 3 weeks of June through July 5th. So if there is a German fair going on the last week of June near a park we're visiting, we might be able to hit that!

I think that's it! (Isn't that enough questions?) Any other words of wisdom you can give us would be helpful. Remember that Elissa and I have both been to Europe several times before so we kind of 'know the ropes' we're just confirming what we already have planned out.

And THANK YOU to anyone who can help. We'll be posting the dates closer to the time of our trip so we can meet up with as many people as possible.

--Robb "THANKS!" Alvey

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do hear you about the binder.

When I travel -- I create a brochure of where I'm going with a simple photo/graphic of the leg of travel (Phoenix - Toronto, Orlando - London) etc. Its only 8.5 x 11 folded in half or three ways on white cardstock.

On the cover will be very simply a few pieces of critical information.

Flight number, hotel address and maybe a small graphic map and reservation codes. I can keep the home made brochure in my pocket and keep relevant currency in it as well if needed and a passport.

Clean, clean clean. Once I'm done with a leg of travel, I throw the paper away, and put bills, i.d. card and / or passport into the next leg of travel 'brochure'.

This way, by taking time to create a clean but simple and slick brochure for myself (they take a lot of time if I want, but take up little space when I pack), I'm almost simultaneously ingraining the details in my head and organizing the travel visually.

But that's the way I operate.

As per hotels. I stick to chains that I'm comfortable with and have standards across the board. Four Seasons? Safe. Hyatt? Well -- depends what level and which one...I know the brand, so i know what works for me, and what doesn't. That might not be your thing. But if you know a brand you are comfortable, and they are ubiquitous as to where you are going (and you can get points by staying at that brand...).

Might be a thing to consider. I don't know.

Enjoy the trip.

Question #1 - Since we are traveling during the last three weeks of June, we are assuming that parks shouldn't be that crowded. Is this a correct assumption? When we did our Europe trip in 2002, we were there during the last 2 weeks of July and the parks were *PACKED*. We're hoping by going a bit earlier, we won't see as many crowds. When do schools officially get out for the summer?

The vacations in Germany begin all approximately at the beginning

of July. That means, there should not be so many visitors in the parks in Juny, except on weekend.

Question #7 - On Day 11, would it be possible to hit Fort Fun after Heide Park? Does anyone know what time Fort Fun would close on a Friday night in late June? More specifically, we're actually not concerned about the coasters at Fort Fun, we just want to ride the Alpine Coaster! But we also don't want to sacrifice too much time at Heide. Any idea of how long it would take to drive from Heide to Fort Fun?

From Heide Park to Fort Fun you need between 3h and 3,5h.

I don´t know at what time Fort Fun would close on Friday, but I will inquire by telephone today for you.

--Soeren

^ Oh, that would GREAT if you could find out for us! We would be going on Friday, June 24th.

I have a feeling though that this park won't be possible for us because unless they are open until 10pm, it would mean having to cut our day at Heide very short, and that's one of the parks we'd like to spend at LEAST 6 hours at.

--Robb

Question #1

June could be a bit crowded with teens in Holland, but not in Germany, Belgium, France.

Still school in those countries.

Question #2

It can be done, check www.viamichelin.com for a decent online "routeplanner".

Question #3

Euhm, quite a longe drive. 8 hours without stops, slowdowns (not to mention any incidents along the road that block traffic) and bad weather.

10 hours would be a realistic time (maximum that is).

Again, try www.viamichelin.com

Question #4

That's the Øresund Bridge ( check prices at http://osb.oeresundsbron.dk/documents/document.php?obj=1010 )

Question #5

No idea. I suggest contacting the ferry company.

Question #6

Maybe...very busy day then. With alot of driving.

Question #7

It's a long drive away, not to mention Heide-Park is quite big and Fort Fun has some interesting scenery to check out.

You could try.

Question #8

That can be done.

Question #9

That can be done as well. 5 hours should cover the main rides.

Question #10

Tripsdrill is a good hour and 30 minutes away from Holidaypark.

Question #11

Varies alot. 8 hours, hmm, again, without stows, accidents, slowdowns.

Question #12

Walibi Rhône-Alpes is not worth a visit.

Question #13

July is vacation month. So it can be quite crowded.

Weekdays should be less crowded though. Try to hit the Trace du Hourra first, as well as the nearby logflume.

Do not, I repeat, do not miss the stuntshow "Main Basse sur la Joconde" (Hunt for the Mona Lisa), it's brilliant !

Question #14

Holiday Inn at Disney is great value !

Europa-Park has alot of b&b's.

Motels...hmm, the Accor group has "Formule 1" hotel and "Etap Hotel" across Europe. Those are cheap and good value.

Question #15

Sleep is always possible on a ferry.

Question #16

I would say Nigloland, but I just noticed that one is already on the ittinary.

You're visiting ALOT of parks, no extra parks worth a visit really. Not for Americans that is. (You only have a limited time here)

Question #17

If you are near HolidayPark, there's a chance there will be a small funfair in the town of Speyer. A very nice town by the way.

Check this site out: http://www.kirmesparkrevue.de/termine.php3

(month is the second number )

^ Yeah. It was more expensive for the times we needed to fly in and the schedules weren't as good. This way we're at least ending at Disney and we're close to the airport. The drive isn't THAT bad from CDG to where we need to be in Belgium.

--Robb

Question #9. 1 hour is correct.

I think 5 hours are enought to see the main Attractions in the Phantasialand.

Question #10 - Tripsdrill is one of the most beatuiful german theme parks. I think it takes one hour from Holiday Park to Trippsdrill. But I think you should stay longer in Trippsdrill than 2 hours. Because its very beatuifull there.

Question #15 - Yes you can sleep on the ferry.

Question #17 - Maybe there are some German fairs. I´m going o look for that.

I

Question #6 - Also on Day 10, is it realistic to be able to hit Hansa park? And how long would we need at Hansa Park?

Hansa Park is opened from 10am till 6pm. I think 4h is okay for the Park.

Question #7 - On Day 11, would it be possible to hit Fort Fun after Heide Park? Does anyone know what time Fort Fun would close on a Friday night in late June?
Oh, that would GREAT if you could find out for us! We would be going on Friday, June 24th.

I telephoned with someone from Fort Fun. He was not so nice, but he could give me the opening times. In june the Park is opened from 10am till 5pm and longer depending upon weather conditions also.

I think it is not a good idea to spend some time at Fort Fun after the Heide Park. 1st you need 3h or more to drive to Fort Fun. 2nd the Park close so early.

To recommend I know an overnight possibility in the new Heide Park - HolidayCamp. 1 night for 2 persons costs inclusive breakfast 34 euro.

Here you can get your reservation: info@holidaycamp.de or infos: www.holidaycamp.de

Question #8 - On Day 12, we plan on hitting WBMW then Toverland. Is this realistic? We're planning on leaving WBMW by 3pm to get to Toverland by 4pm, which should give us 2 hours at that park.

I think that can be done.

WBMW is now Movie Park Germany.

Here you get more infos: www.moviepark.de

They have new attractions and still repainted the old attractions. Maybe I could visit this Park with you guys too, after visiting Heide Park.

--Soeren

Question #9 - On Day 13, we are planning on leaving Phantasialand at 2:30pm in order to get to Klotten park. Is one hour drive from Phantasialand to Klotten correct? And is 5 hours at Phantasialand enough?

I think 5h is okay for Phantasialand. You have to drive from Phantasialand to Klotten round about 90min.!

Question #10 - On Day 14 when we are at Holiday, we are considering trying to also hit Tripsdrill, but we're not sure if that's realistic. How long does the drive take between Tripsdrill and Holiday Park?

From HolidayPark to Tripsdill you need round about 90min. too!

--Soeren

Its not an answer to any of your questions, but I can give you a little advice about Tusenfryd. If its a hot day, head directly to Supersplash. Its in the back of the park and has almost no line in the beginning of the day. Thundercoasters line will probably be pretty much the same all day, usually around 15 mins. The small vekoma looper can be a bit tricky. Sometimes its walk-on and sometimes you have to wait 20-30 mins.

I hope you will have a great trip

Question #16 - Bonus parks! Can you think of any other 'small' parks that we should consider hitting, even if it's just for a 'credit run' that are "on the way" of our current route. We don't want to go out of our way, since as you can see our schedule is already insane!

There is one park right next to the entrance of Movie Park (5 minutes walking):

http://www.rcdb.com/pd361.htm

Is it right that you going to visit Phantasialand on a saturday? If this is the case you might need more time when you want to hit all the attractions.

Day 12: Movie Park Germany (WBMW) then drive 1 Hour to Toverland, then drive 3 hours to hotel near Phantasialand

You don't need 3 hours from Toverland to Phantasialand. Even if the traffic is bad you need approx. 2 hours.

If Day 11/12 is the 23rd and 24th June you might want to hit the "Sommersend" in Münster. It´s located beetween Heide Park & Movie Park. It starts 23rd June and ends 27th June and it's quite a big fair.

Hi Robb

I hope I can help you guy's out a little bit, as I visited a few German Parks in 1 week, last September...

Question #6

I have not visited Bon-Bon Land, I cannot comment on there. I have been to Hansa Park, It was the first park we visited, and as we got up around 4AM, to get to the Airport, then fly to Germany (Lubeck). We did not rush around the park. We went on a Sunday, and the park was pretty busy in places. We got there around the parks opening time & left around 4:30.

The Wild Mouse coaster was the most popular of the 3 coasters there, we waited in line for about 1hr that. The Water rides were also popular. The Water Slide ride (Sorry don't know how else to explain it) had pretty long line too ( 45 mins) and the Intamin Water Shoot the Chute had a queue line of about (45mins)

The park was okay & like I say we did not rush around the park. If you got just for the 3 'credits' I think 2 hours for a visit is fine.

Question #8

If you get to WBMW on opening time. You should not need no more than 4 hours there. None of the coasters there are outstanding! and if your short of time, 1 or 2 rides on each coaster can be the maximum.

We left there about 2:30, and that was getting all the coasters, most of the 'major rides', Having a relaxed meal there, Looking around the Movie Museum etc. We left early a) because we got bored there b) We wanted to visit another park - See later in my reply...

Question #16

Bonus Parks

We left WBMW to go to CentrO.Park http://www.centropark.de/

Just for Speedy http://www.rcdb.com/id1551.htm. We were there just for a couple of hours & we had lots of fun there. I forget how times we went on Speedy. There not much else there, A big Wheel, Pirate Ship etc, but we really did enjoy ourselves there. We even did a bit of shopping in the shopping centre right next to it.

Also if your really 'Coaster Whoring' there is this park right next to WBMW

http://www.rcdb.com/pd361.htm

Hope some of this helps

Paul C

Edited by nemesis-storm

Hey guys,

This is all GREAT advice.

Yeah, we kind of figured that Fort Fun would be out based on the long drive, and we really don't want to cut our day at Heide short.

It also looks as though Tripsdrill would be out, unless we get to Holiday Park, and feel we've gotten enough rides on EGF in a couple of hours as we would HAVE to do Tripsdrill and Holiday in the same day.

Also, another question about Movie Park - what has become of their Gremlins dark ride and any other dark rides based on WB characters?

Any other advice would be great!

--Robb

Also, another question about Movie Park - what has become of their Gremlins dark ride and any other dark rides based on WB characters?

Gremlins will remain closed this season.

Batman Adventure is now "Time Riders", a brand new simulator ride starring John Cleese !

Looney Tunes Studio Tour is now "Ice Age Adventure", a darkride based on the movie.

Never Ending Story is now "White Water something", a fantasy character ride. No real details known.

Hey Robb,

here is the original Press-Text:

PRESS RELEASE30TH OF NOVEMBER 2004

(Bottrop-Kirchhellen, 10th of November 2004) On the 19th of March 2005, the gates of the Film and Entertainment Park in Bottrop will be opening under a new name and with several new attractions. The park’s management is particularly thrilled to be able to present the first Ice Age ride in the world. The animated international box office hit “Ice Age” with its loveable characters Scrat (the squirrel), Sid (the sloth), and Manny (the mammoth) has inspired a family water ride in the renamed children’s world ”Wonderland Studios“.

Another highlight awaiting visitors next season is the madcap SpongeBob SquarePants, who will be taking up residence in the new 4D cinema. SpongeBob SquarePants is a hugely successful American TV series that is also shown in Germany on Super RTL and that is fast becoming a firm favourite.

The 4D film, created exclusively for the park, will be shown in the newly refurbished Roxy cinema. Thanks to the new technology, with air, water and vibration effects integrated into the seats, the audience will find itself completed immersed in chatterbox SpongeBob SquarePants’ underwater world “Bikini Bottom”.

The third new attraction of the 2005 season is the new flight simulation adventure in the former Batman Adventure. The mad inventor Horace Garrison Wells takes visitors along on a wild journey through time on his Time Rider. This attraction has been exclusively designed for Movie Park Germany by Attraction Media & Entertainment, Inc. in California.

The new Ice Age attraction is not the only new addition to the Children’s World (Kinderland): new loveable characters such as a stuntman or a director welcome the children to the ”Wonderland Studios“ and have been appointed the new park mascots.

“We are very proud to be able to present our visitors with their favourite cartoon heroes and exciting rides in the upcoming season. Families in particular can look forward to fantastic new attractions in 2005“, announces Timothy L. Ruedy, General Manager of Movie Park Germany.

Warner Bros. Movie World was taken over by the British investment company Palamon Capital Partners in April of this year. The investors are injecting 10 million euros into the renaming and refurbishment of the park.

Movie Park Germany, along with six other former Six Flags-Parks in Europe, now belongs to the Belgian StarParks Group.

Well I can't give as much information as anyone else, but I went to Gardaland in early July last year, and the park was actually busy. Most of the people there were students as they all seem to infest the Italian trains aswell.

Also I've been to the Movie World/ Aqua Park the year before! It's great there, but expect long queues for the lazy rivers, they also have a fantastically high dingy drop, which you get airtime on There's a very small hill after a large drop and if you go in the front Rob, I can garentee anyone behind you would come flying off it.. No offence

It's a shame you don't seem to be staying for night-time Gardaland. The park is open till midnight, and you can get some awesome shots of the ride from the parks Flying Island.

Example:

[sorry for the large size, photobucket won't shrink it anymore]

My advice for the park is definately get to it early and get to "Sequoia Adventure" and "Fuga de Atlantide" first. They will probably build up queues fast as Fuga did for me last year. However if you get a quiet day you'll be loving it. If you do have time visit the Pirate

For food I recommend the "Pizzeria Saloon". It's a lovely restaurant with decently priced food. http://www.gardaland.it/en/attrazioni/ristoranti/

I went on a coach through Switzerland to Italy and I must stress how important it is to know where you are. A lot of times we were lost and had no clue what road we were on! So keep a responsible adult (That means not Elissa) looking where you're going. As for tunnels they can get very backlogged. Coming back through the Mont Blanc tunnel we got stuck in a 2 hour traffic jam as lorries and such forth tried to get through it.

Anyway, that's my Italian advice. Hope you have a lovely trip!

^ Just think what you're missing out on by leaving early

Oh and p.s DO NOT bother queueing for their 4D Cinema thing. It's crap. Trust me! Plus they allow smoking in queuelines so if you have any breathing conditions keep a fan nearby.

BonBonland is by no means a major park, it got alot of interesting and well-themed flat rides, and some... uhm... VERY PG-13 figures everywhere . The only major ride is Vildsvinet, the Gerstlauer Eurofighter, though Bæver Rafting is worth hitting too. The park shouldn't be awfully crowded, however, if you want to ride all the major rides, i suggest that you atleast budget 4 hours.

About the ferry Fredericshavn-Oslo, as much as I don't know much about that specific trip, is traveled in the short-distance boats which usually means you will only get sleep if your comfortable with benches and chairs.

If you can, you should take Tivoli after Bakken, it is awesome in the dark, with more light and color than any other park I've been too.

From Liseberg, I think it would be a good bit faster taking the ferry Helsingborg-Helsingnør, which also lands closer to Bakken than the bridge. It would also be a good bit cheaper, as taking the bridge would force you trough a toll both on one of Sweedens motorways, total cost (with the bridge) being around 50 euros, according to http://tinyurl.com/55z8v Viamichelin, who reccomends this route instead: http://tinyurl.com/4ykkm.

I hope this was helpful!

@Question 1: June is a very busy month! It's summer, and everybody is free from school.

Oh, when you go to WalibiWorld, please tell me when, so our dutch coaster enthousiasts can meet you