Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

P. 988: "Christmas in Hershey" 2018 offerings announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby michaellynn4 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:36 pm

Racer slides have quickly become a favorite of mine, ever since I got massive airtime going down the ones at Holiday World a few years ago. I can't wait to give these ones a shot.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:00 am

zburns999 wrote: why do more people not consider Skyrush a top-tier ride?

I loved Hershey Park when I was visited as well — definitely a favorite. Skyrush, however, is too much about endurance and not enough fun for me. I actually rode it a lot when I was there (somewhere around 15 times!) as I figured I wouldn't be back anytime soon and I wanted to really commit it to memory. I just found it unnecessarily aggressive at points, and a little dull at others. Unlike others, I never found the first drop to be all that; the extended s-shape curve in and out of the drop felt more like forward tipping than falling, to me. I liked the speed and some of the directional shifts, but what it comes down to for me is that I want more from a coaster than just extremes — it has to be fun, well-sequenced, and as enjoyable as it is thrilling. Favorites in the park for me were Fahrenheit, Lightning Racer, and Comet.

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby skyrocket010 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:07 pm

Is the park typically crowded on Saturdays in September? Thinking about going on the 16th.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby Satans Hockey » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:38 pm

I really need to make it back to Hershey Park. I've only been once back in 2014 and with all the talk about people not being able to keep their hands up on Skyrush I'm really curious to get on it again. I can't remember if I had them up the entire ride or not but I definitely want to try now lol I do remember loving the ride though.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:41 pm

I fully plan on trying to get over there for Hersheypark In the Dark. Best time of the year to go. Changing leaves on the trees, and barely any coaster lines.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Ccron10 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:09 pm

skyrocket010 wrote:Is the park typically crowded on Saturdays in September? Thinking about going on the 16th.

Yes. This was the line a year or two ago on a Saturday in late September. The weather was also really nice this day as well:
IMG_1414.JPG

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby John Peck » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:52 pm

We once went the Saturday after labor day and it was hot, extremely crowded and the water park was closed for the season... miserable time because of that.

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby prospekt88 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:57 am

boldikus wrote:I fully plan on trying to get over there for Hersheypark In the Dark. Best time of the year to go. Changing leaves on the trees, and barely any coaster lines.

Completely agree. Went a few years ago on a Sunday late in October and hit every coaster in just a few hours. We usually leave late Saturday Morning and hit Knoebels from open to close then spend the night between Knoebels and Hershey. Hit Hershey at opening and are done with everything there with time to get home before Sunday Night Football. It's a really stress free easy trip for anyone in the area looking to close the season with a great coasters and low crowds. Plus the area is beautiful that time of year especially around Knoebels.

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby TBpony414 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:33 am

Small TR from my trip to HP on Monday. I went for a few hours before the Matchbox 20 concert and had a fantastic time! Arrived at noon and left at 7:45pm to go to the concert. The park was relatively empty and operations were hit or miss. Skyrush's operations were absolutely abysmal even though there were at least 6 attendants there. I really wish the worker at the entrance to the queue would request that heavier folks try out the test seat before getting in line. On every single train they would have at least one if not two ops at the same time literally jump up and down on the bar trying to get the restraint to give the green light. The line crawled and guests started getting agitated. It would take minimally 3 minutes of struggling and in every case the people had to eventually take the walk of shame. It seems to me that it's more embarrassing to hold up an entire station full of grumbling folks and have to take the WOS, than try to test seat outside and realize it ain't happening. Several of these folks were absolutely enormous and there was just no way they would ever fit. If you're on the bigger side - absolutely try. But severely obese people who need an extra 8 inches of seatbelt before it can click together holding up the trains for 3-5 minutes every dispatch (I timed them) is outrageous. Can't get situated in 60 seconds? You're out. The ride ops were extremely frustrated with this as well. We didn't encounter problems this badly on any other ride. In order:

-Skyrush
-Comet - saw a mother screaming at the top of her lungs in a horrible manner at her young son in the queue the whole time who was absolutely terrified and hysterical about riding. He was going to be on the next train behind us but ended up not riding and I saw him sobbing and curled in a ball behind the exit gate. Poor kid. That's no way for a parent to get him used to coasters... or behave, especially in public.
-Skyrush
-SDL
-Great Bear 2x
- extremely fast operations
-Triple Tower - Reeses and Hershey. I was surprised how fun these were! I still wish Flying Falcon were there as that was my favorite flat in the park and one of my favorite flats ever (up there with the flyers at Carowinds and Skyhawk at CP) but the towers were a lot of fun and very popular. There was quite a bit of line jumping going on and the ops and queue attendants just watched it and shrugged. Really frustrating.
-Coal Cracker - I got absolutely soaked and mom got barely a spritz. I'm fanatical about dry feet and somehow, even after ducking down low with my feet off the bottom and shoved way under the nose of the boat, my sneakers were saturated and squishing for the next solid hour.
-Storm Runner
-Seal and sea lion show
- which was a blast! Geneva the sea lion did a fantastic job and Mango the harbor seal has greatly improved on her skills since last year. Since I'm very into clicker training with my dog, horse, and rabbit (yes that's correct) I spent a while speaking with the lead trainer after the show. She was wonderful as always and it was nice to get some ideas and have a clearer understanding of why they do certain behaviors a different way that I would. Some of those ideas I will implement into my training and other things they do I do not think is beneficial to the learning process so will not apply them.
-Trailblazer
-Storm Runner 4x
- in line we ran into Dean Z. who is a maintenance man for SR for 10 years now. He was unbelievably friendly and gushed about the ride and how much he loves working on it. Storm Runner is my favorite ride in the park and one of my most favorite rides anywhere so it was cool chatting with him. He was actually working the line separation position near the bottom of the station steps and he was frustrated that 1. they were only running one train due to staffing issues, and 2. that there isn't enough room on the platform to have the attendant stand there to keep the station from getting chaotic as that causes a lot of issues. He saw us later on in the day and waved enthusiastically - super nice guy and it made our day extra special!
-Lightning Racer, lightning side

I didn't take many pictures myself but my mom who went with me took a lot. Unfortunately they're all still on her phone so you'll have to survive on this one picture of Storm Runner. The day started off with absolutely beautiful weather, blue skies and a few clouds, and ended up quite grey. The rain held off thankfully but it poured the entire day yesterday on our drive home.

Storm Runner 8.28.17.jpg

Can someone tell me what is inside the futuristic building by Triple Tower that says "Bblz" on it? We didn't have time to go inside and check it out. I asked a few ride employees and they all said they had no idea. Hmm, ok then! I was really disappointed that I still couldn't find a shirt I liked or a magnet. I would love a shirt for Storm Runner or Great Bear and a magnet of anything but a peanut butter cup or chocolate bar but there wasn't anything whatsoever in any of the shops I went in. This has been true for the past several visits as well. Is there a secret souvenir location that I don't know about?

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:53 am

Nice little report.

Also,

http://stories.hersheypa.com/bblz-launches-first-permanent-location-at-hersheypark/

What is BBLz? Every BBLz beverage combines a soft drink from Pepsi-Cola’s portfolio, such as Pepsi®, Diet Pepsi®, Mountain Dew® and Mist Twst®, with fun ingredients, including Hershey’s confections, such as Reese’s Pieces Candy and Twizzlers Strawberry Twists, to create unique, whimsical beverages. Visitors can choose from seven innovative BBLz recipes, including:

WHIP SCREAM SUNDAE: Float away with this fizzy spin on a sundae, blending Pepsi, vanilla and cherry flavor, vanilla ice cream foam, Hershey’s Syrup (chocolate and caramel), vanilla frosting, maraschino cherries and sprinkles.
ALL-DAY PBJ: America’s favorite sandwich gets a sweet bubbly remix, combining Mist Twst grape flavor, sweet cream foam, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, grape jelly, peanut butter and Reese’s Pieces Candy.
LAFFING LIME: Spin your taste buds through pops of fruity flavors with a refreshing twist of Diet Mountain Dew® mixing lime and coconut flavor, lime popping candy, vanilla frosting, lemon gummy (candy) and cotton candy.

BBlz.jpg

I"m torn between thinking they look disgusting but also really wanting to try one. I will if its open when we're there in the fall.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!