Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

P. 1007 - 2020 Roller Coaster "Candymonium" Announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
token black guy

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby jarmor » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:11 pm

In regards to retracking Wildcat, wasn't Ghostrider in a pretty bad shape and the full retrack really brought life to it? There was some slight re-profiling as well but I think a retracking could also do it wonders too.
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:02 pm

If they're going to invest in Wildcat, I'd prefer they RMC it since the twisted layout is similar to Lightning Racer. GhostRider had one of the best wooden coaster layouts so it made sense to preserve it there.

But back to the 2020 addition, great coverage!
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Hamburg DOM & Heide Park

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby blk_mamba » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Although I live in the Baltimore metro area, I've always considered Hershey Park my home park b/c it is the one that I went to every year as a child. I am very excited about the new hyper coaster! I like that they have two hyper coasters that really provide two unique experiences. Skyrush, is an aggressive hyper twister with tons of ejector airtime, whereas, this new ride will be an out and back with tons of floater airtime. The name is curious, but fact that a park themed to chocolate is a thing is equally peculiar. Bottom line, I am super excited to live so close to a park with so many world class coasters!

I'm the gyro!

Postby DerekRx » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:11 pm

appel wrote:
DerekRx wrote:Hersheypark has always been pretty unique for an American theme park, with theming, shopping, and restaurants starting before you even are admitted into the park. With the announcement last year that the park entrance will be expanding and changing into Chocolatetown, this will make the park even more unique, as Chocolatetown will be open year round with some food and shopping open year round. But the biggest change hinted at was the giant hypercoaster teased as the cornerstone of this expansion. Today they finally announced more about the park's new for 2020 "15th" coaster and I had a chance to attend the ceremony, so let's check it out, shall we?

Thanks for your detailed review! Are they expecting to have the coaster open until Memorial Day, we might visit the park in mid June so I hope they have it ready?

I asked them if the plan was to have it opened for Memorial Day weekend and they said yes, but also that since it is such a large amount of construction between the coaster, the main entrance, and all the shops, etc that the weather this summer and especially this upcoming winter will factor into the opening majorly.
All clear....

Dispatch, enjoy your ride.

Derek

Postby Philrad71 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:41 pm

Thanks for the report, Derek...I need to get back to Hershey next year!

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby bill_s » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:33 pm

I really liked their wild mouse. 3 years ago when I rode it, Wildcat's main issue was washboarding at the bottom of the first couple of drops, exactly like SFA fixed on Roar. Of course Roar could now use a bit more attention, but that's wood coasters for you. Don't build 'em if you don't want to have to rebuild them. Initial cost cheap for a reason. I also think Wildcat has a better layout than Roar, despite coming first. Love both of them. Of course, to some it's not even about getting something better, they like to hate. Fortunately most parks ignore them out of necessity, but we've still lost some good rides to the complainers.

Ass is another word for Donkey!

Postby tndank » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:09 pm

What the story on Fast Track this year? Looks like the merge points aren't all at the stations and it might not be that good here. Visiting on Sunday and prob wont spring for it, but it's good have the info. Thanks.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby prospekt88 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:22 pm

This looks like a great addition. Will be interesting to see the crowd difference between this and Skyrush. The few times I've been there since Skyrush was added it hasn't had a line out of the station by the afternoon. I expect this will be a lot more popular.

As far as Wildcat, I think it's a fine ride but it's still the third best wood coaster at the park by a wide margin. Even if it was retracked it would probably still hold that position, so don't really see a need for that. RMC it if anything.

Postby DILinator » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:58 am

I love Hersheypark, and I love, love, love this addition and expansion for them! I think B&M Hypers are all excellent coasters, and this one looks like it has some of the best features, and environment, of the lot of them! I also think the whole new front area is fantastic, and can't wait to see it in person, hopefully next year!

As for Wildcat, it's definitely on the rougher side of the coaster spectrum, but when it comes to the re-tracking vs. RMC debate, I'm not sure why it's even a debate... As others have said, even a retrack isn't likely to make the coaster move up much in rank in its own park, let alone anywhere else. Meanwhile, an RMC conversion has 100% of the time, proven to be an improving investment, and a great hit for a park. I'm not sure there's really any downside to a conversion, if they decide to address Wildcat, and if anybody seriously thinks it being the first GCI will have any bearing on whether HP decides to RMC it or not... Well... :?r

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby Invertalon » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:32 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:If they're going to invest in Wildcat, I'd prefer they RMC it since the twisted layout is similar to Lightning Racer.

-Steve

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!