SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 631: Riptide Race dueling water slide announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: pǝʇɹǝʌuı and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Re: SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

Postby tuxedomask5432 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:52 pm

I was just at the park yesterday and so many people were watching the shows! I noticed the animal shows are still extremely popular, and most of the GP has forgotten about the Blackfish scandal. I think SeaWorld’s advertisements of rescuing 31,000 animals and using the animals as a means to learn about them scientifically is working wonders for the shows. You can tell the trainers really care about the animals.

As far as the new 2020 ride Ice Breaker, any new coaster is a win in my book, especially one in the Arctic area, which would help pull crowds back to that side of the park. The lower height requirements help Ice Breaker to be that “stepping stone” coaster between Super Grover and something more intense like Kraken. And I love the colors and the theme of the ride. Great job SeaWorld!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:39 pm

tuxedomask5432 wrote:I was just at the park yesterday and so many people were watching the shows! I noticed the animal shows are still extremely popular, and most of the GP has forgotten about the Blackfish scandal.

I'm not sure about all that. I still hear people bring it up in everyday life all the time. Now are those people who would have gone to the park who are no longer going to the park? Who knows. I can't keep up with the attendance figures, but I do recall the last figure I heard said Seaworld was still down in attendance. Whether all of that stems back to Blackfish is hard to say at this point, I think. Economics is very complicated and it's impossible to point to one and only one causation.

Whether Blackfish is still causing them issues or not, hyping up record-breaking coasters can't be a bad thing at all for them.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:03 pm

The new coaster looks awesome! We love Sea World's shows and made a point to see all of them when we visited this summer (San Antonio park). They're so well done and really feature the animals as the stars of the show. My girls are already asking when we can go back...and it will be to the Orlando park.

Sea World is fun, y'all. Get yourselves to Sea World.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Sluggo77 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:41 pm

What a huge year 2020 will be for the Busch/SeaWorld parks. This looks like a cool new addition as well.

Postby Philrad71 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:02 pm

Looks like an awesome addition...I need to get back to Florida next year!

Postby DILinator » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:04 pm

I'm loving the look and expected experience of Ice Breaker! SWO just keeps getting better and better! It was already in my Top 5 parks, and that was before Infinity Falls, and now this! Once again, SEAS are just on FIRE lately, and show no signs of slowing down!

One thing I'm a little confused about, are the references to "diving" and "predatory heights". That led me (and many others) to think it'd be called Gyrfalcon, which completely fit the arctic theme, and both those hints. This name though, doesn't seem to imply any of that... Maybe I missed it somewhere in the extended announcement...

At any rate, this is another spectacular addition to the park, and it's hard to believe that by the time my kids and I get back to SWO and BGT next year (hopefully!), after having just been to each park April of last year, they will have two new major attractions each! Very impressive!

EDITED for misspelling "Gyrfalcon"
Last edited by DILinator on Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:26 pm.

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby BintamiM » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:26 pm

DILinator wrote:
One thing I'm a little confused about, are the references to "diving" and "predatory heights". That led me (and many others) to think it'd be called Gyrfaclon, which completely fit the arctic theme, and both those hints. This name though, doesn't seem to imply any of that... Maybe I missed it somewhere in the extended announcement...

Thank someone who has a lot of power who did not want the ride named after a bird. The new name leaves a lot to be desired. Regardless I think we can all agree this ride will be fun. Not to mention needed at this park since they are lacking a middle ground coaster between the big 3 and their kiddie coaster.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:48 am

Looks like a good addition--a welcome change from all the "Tempesto" like coasters they've been building (I like those rides, but I think they've been cloned enough for now).

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:26 am

Yup I had also heard the Gyrfalcon stuff and we actually MET a Gyrfalcon in Alaska this summer. It would have been a better name.

Postby coasterbill » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:20 am

I came here to read the lastest feedback on the coaster but now I'm reading about gyrfalcons on Wikipedia. I've never heard of these things. I figured it was some mythical whatever-the-f*ck-bird like a Valravn. :lol:
Last edited by coasterbill on Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:20 am.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!