SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 628: Ice Breaker launched coaster for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

Postby Mrlittle » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:01 am

^Oh I hope it's a tall SHARK

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:30 am

They should put in a Tornado slide and dub it "Sharknado."

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:56 am

Jew wrote:I doubt they purposely didn't pay the bill. I'm guessing it is either a dispute over whether or not the vendor completed the work according to the terms of their deal or just a mistake someone made behind the scenes (there's usually lots of "red tape" when it comes to finances at theme parks).

Agreed, this is not unusual in construction. There is always a hold back on any construction project until everything is signed off. Probably a dispute about something and SeaWorld is waiting to get it resolved before paying. Once they pay the contractor completely they have no leverage to get a problem corrected.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby chargersmichael » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:32 am

I wonder what the tallest looping water slide is. Will the new slide be the tallest looping or just the tallest "drop" slide? Also is the record in just FL or...?
Roller Coaster Count: 140
| Millennium Force | | Skyrush | | Top Thrill Dragster | | Kingda Ka | | Maverick | | El Toro | | Mako | | Apollo's Chariot | | Storm Runner | | Nitro | | Incredible Hulk |

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby PeoplemoverMatt » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:08 pm

"Blackfish" aired on CNN tonight. I only caught the last 30 minutes but, wow, absolutely capitalizing on the trainer's death to push their anti-orcas in captivity agenda.

This is what they got across to me. It's wrong to pen orcas into tanks to perform in shows that make money for the company. It's not wrong to exploit the death of an employee of that company in one of those shows in order to push that message. They went so far as to call the Shamu shows "barbaric" but I wonder if any of them considered how "barbaric" it is to think that because someone died, you now have a right to scream your agenda that has absolutely zero - NOTHING - to do with the accident. You just think it's wrong that orcas are kept in those tanks, and whatever happens, mistake, accident, or otherwise is proof of your agenda. You're clearly willing to stand on the grave of that trainer to blast your message. Let's throw away human life because we'd like to tell you about how wrong it is to discount marine life.

I think any normal person knows what's really "barbaric" here, and it's not the Shamu show. :roll:

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby 2012jarrett » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:42 pm

PeoplemoverMatt wrote:"Blackfish" aired on CNN tonight. I only caught the last 30 minutes but, wow, absolutely capitalizing on the trainer's death to push their anti-orcas in captivity agenda.

This is what they got across to me. It's wrong to pen orcas into tanks to perform in shows that make money for the company. It's not wrong to exploit the death of an employee of that company in one of those shows in order to push that message. They went so far as to call the Shamu shows "barbaric" but I wonder if any of them considered how "barbaric" it is to think that because someone died, you now have a right to scream your agenda that has absolutely zero - NOTHING - to do with the accident. You just think it's wrong that orcas are kept in those tanks, and whatever happens, mistake, accident, or otherwise is proof of your agenda. You're clearly willing to stand on the grave of that trainer to blast your message. Let's throw away human life because we'd like to tell you about how wrong it is to discount marine life.

I think any normal person knows what's really "barbaric" here, and it's not the Shamu show. :roll:

I saw that and didn't make a final opinion because I didn't hear Seaworld's point of view of the story. A lot of the stuff they said seemed legit to various degrees but I saw that Seaworld had declined an interview for the show, and I wish they hadn't. It's a topic I don't know much about that I'd like to, but there's so many different viewpoints it's hard to get a clear message. I find it interesting, though. I'd definitely like to get more informed on it.

Though if it really is detrimental to the orcas and can psychologically scar them (strong arguments for both sides, not sure who to side with) I think the best solution would be to release all of Seaworld's orcas and use the existing structures for non-releasable ones in a learning exhibit like Cheetah Run. Again, not sure if it's the cause of these accidents, but if it is, I think this would be a fair solution. That's just me, though. Like I said, I'm not as well informed on the topic as I'd like to be.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/18ec287bb60672cae6c938cd59dddba3.jpg[/img][/url]

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby PeoplemoverMatt » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:16 pm

^ Why in the world would Sea World agree to be interviewed by someone obviously out to diminish their product and destroy their business?

The way I see it, Sea World already has their side of the story out there. The parks are still open. The shows are still on. The professionals stay professional.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby 2012jarrett » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:32 pm

PeoplemoverMatt wrote:^ Why in the world would Sea World agree to be interviewed by someone obviously out to diminish their product and destroy their business?

The way I see it, Sea World already has their side of the story out there. The parks are still open. The shows are still on. The professionals stay professional.

I didn't say it would be a good move on their part, I said I would have liked to see it. You have a point about the fact that the parks are open and it speaks volumes. I'd just like to see a documentary/program put out by Seaworld before picking a side.

The thing the bothered me the most was how they took some of the whales away from their mothers too early. In addition to how it allegedly emotionally scarred the mothers and babies, I'd honestly find it more interesting to see a family of whales performing instead of a fabricated pod. I'm no marine biologist but if they could perform as a family I bet it would cut down on the fighting seen on the program and make it a bitter comfortable for the whales.

Not trying to start a fight and I admit I don't know as much about the topic as I'd like to, this is just assuming Blackfish was correct. I'm allegedly going to BGT next week, if it rains we're probably going to Seaworld instead. I'd like to see one of these shows and learn more about them. It's definitely a topic I'd like to be more informed on.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/18ec287bb60672cae6c938cd59dddba3.jpg[/img][/url]

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:55 am

I think my issue with all sorts of these 'type' of documentaries is why we feel one animal is above another?

Is it because they're cute? Or bigger? Or deemed smarter? Don't we learn new things about animals and species every day. Haven't they just decided that dolphins are no longer as smart as we originally thought?

Why aren't they advocating to release all of the sharks back into the wild? Why do we only care about certain animals? How many of the people involved in the documentary have pets at home? By now through all of the breeding and generations aren't some of these orcas 'domesticated' like pets? The whole thing to me just seems dumb. SeaWorld is obviously not harming these animals on purpose to make a profit, and they do a TON of good out in the real world.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:51 am

I caught about the first half hour and then went to bed.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!