SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 628: Ice Breaker launched coaster for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sun May 03, 2009 6:15 pm

^Since I haven't been on Tatsu, I can't really compare the two, but I can say that this is the best flyer I have been on so far. I strongly prefer Manta to either of the two Superman flyers I have ridden. It can also be said that there is no reason whatsoever to even consider comparing Manta to a Vekoma flyer, at least in my opinion. =)
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby downunder » Sun May 03, 2009 6:20 pm

jedimaster1227 wrote:^Since I haven't been on Tatsu, I can't really compare the two, but I can say that this is the best flyer I have been on so far. I strongly prefer Manta to either of the two Superman flyers I have ridden. It can also be said that there is no reason whatsoever to even consider comparing Manta to a Vekoma flyer. =)

I only compare methods of torture to Vekoma Flyers.

I get wet for Manta!

Postby themeparkman25 » Sun May 03, 2009 6:35 pm

When were those pictures taken, today? It seems that the timing of the splashdown was a little off today (assuming they are from today), than it was yesterday.

Thanks for posting though!

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby justint87 » Sun May 03, 2009 6:38 pm

^ I agree. Yesterday when I was there the splash effect was timed perfectly with the trains.

Looking at these pictures, it seem as if the water came up a little early.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby bgeguy » Sun May 03, 2009 6:43 pm

Manta is simply...beautiful.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sun May 03, 2009 6:44 pm

^^^These photos were taken today.

^^My brother and I did notice that the timing was off by a little bit, but nothing major enough to ruin the effect. I figure they are still tweaking it, so I'll wait until the official opening to focus more on the system.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby nicksvideo » Sun May 03, 2009 6:46 pm

Yeah, like I said in my previous post, it seemed they were running the splash effect quite a bit faster today. It actually got us wet in the front row, whereas yesterday it wasn't fast enough to get us wet there. It also seemed to be a bit bigger today. I assume they're still testing it at various speeds and heights to see what looks best for riders and spectators.

And jedimaster, my friends and I are totally in a few of your photos. I thought you looked familiar, and almost said something to you, but bringing up an internet message board to a complete stranger is always a bit awkward, so I decided against it.

Also, here's another rather poorly thrown together video from today:

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby delirium_guy » Sun May 03, 2009 6:56 pm

The splash definitely seemed bigger today, but not sure about the timing. My rides late this afternoon found the block brake kicking in a tad more than yesterday (least it felt like it) and my rides from earlier on.....didnt detract from the ride at all, just an observation. Could also explain the timing. Still looks fantastic!

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Sun May 03, 2009 7:48 pm

So...is there a splash zone (as implied in the concept art) for non-riders or not? I don't think I've seen any photos yet of little kids getting soaked as the train goes by.... :?r

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby CoryPa77 » Sun May 03, 2009 7:50 pm

I finally got to ride Manta today and I have to say I was very impressed. The layout is great because it gives great visuals of guests all over Sea World, it has perfect B&M smoothness, and the ending is great with the low to the ground dives and close (sometimes too close) dives to the water. I was only able to manage 2 rides one in the middle and one in the very back. The queue line is cool, dark and provides plenty of entertainment while waiting. They even have a great soundtrack playing while waiting.

As far as a comparison to the other flyers, I've been on both SFOG and SFGAd Superman rides and Tatsu - I think it's clearly a big step up from the Supermen ride and I honestly prefer it to Tatsu. I can see where a lot will like Tatsu better, but I think Manta gave an overall better mix of sensations than Tatsu and Tatsu seemed to just power it's way through the whole course (which is a good thing too). Manta had several intense moments, but some nice fast, gliding-type moments too which is when flyers are their best IMO. The pretzel on Manta was intense enough, maybe not quite as intense as Tatsu, but very close. However, I loved the sequence after the pretzel which was a roll over then an intensifying 270 degree spiral dive that went back, threaded the pretzel and did a corkscrew type element into the block brake. The ending was not very intense, but the interactions with the themeing, water and ground more than make up for it. In fact, the back seat gives a really nice sensation when you dive out of the block, something kind of unusal for a flyer.

The length is fine and pretty much perfect. It's a rather quick (and deceptively high) climb to the top of the lift and you get great views of people walking below. The dive off the lift gives a great whip in the back row.

Overall, I'm really excited about Manta and can't wait to go back and ride some more. Honestly, when it was first announced, I didn't know what to think because I've never been a big fan of flyers, but I think it's going to be a hit. I loved it and the public seemed to LOVE it too. I'm sure I'm leaving some good points out.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!