California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

P. 1176: Cedar Fair complete park land purchase!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Re: California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Postby The Geek Mojo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:45 pm

God this new coaster looks awesome as hell...Wished I could ride it next year. Oh wait, I can...I'm going to Texas! Who cares if they're identical, they're both originals in my book! Love RMC!

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby laqueefa » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:24 pm

Between CGA and Knott's, Cedar Fair on the west coast is killing it! If anyone doubted their 20 year plan, this ride and its theming should give the naysayers something to think about. I wonder how the construction will affect Haunt, as the construction site sits right up against one of their haunted house locations.
Tigga, please!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DILinator » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:47 am

While I was impressed the addition of Wonder Woman at SFFT, and I still think that's a great addition for that park, and looks nice there, THIS blows it away in my opinion! For me, I'm a HUGE fan of themeing, and all the rocks, tunnels, and water surrounding this installation really add to this version's presentation! I LOVE the entire look of the coaster, and its surrounding area, and think it's a fantastic addition to the park. I've never been to CGA, but I've already told my brother who lives in LA that the next time I visit him, we're taking a Bro Road Trip up the coast to the Bay Area to hit up CGA and SFDK, and I'm definitely excited to be able to get a ride on this coaster! That back seat sure looks like the "money seat" on these Raptor coasters! Coming over that first drop especially... :airtime: Woo Hoo!!! Another perfect fit for Cedar Fair!

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby PixelRush » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:55 am

chickenbowl wrote:Definitely true. I feel like some enthusiasts start cheerleading certain companies (DAE RMC?!) and hating on others (Boring & Mild). I'm certainly guilty of this with my fanboyism of Intamin. But recently I feel like everyone is significantly improving their designs and that makes me super excited for the next decade. I think it's safe to say we're living in a coaster renaissance!

While your point of a coaster renaissance is very true, the DAE RMC and Boring & Mild things are just tongue-in-cheek jokes on the r/rollercoasterjerk subreddit. We're just making fun of the over the top enthusiasts out there in a nonsensical way for fun. That includes TPR as well :lmao:
I have the rumblies, the rumblies that only AIRTIME can satisfy. :airtimer:
Top Steel: Maverick [Cedar Point] Top Wood: El Toro [Six Flags Great Adventure] Coaster Count: 78
My username is Zergei on the NoLimits Central Forum
Proud member of the Cult of Skank Mountain, where the airtime is to die for.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby Jameslofton » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:09 pm

Seeing what RMC is doing with Hurler really does make you wonder if Grizzly isn't beyond saving after all.

In lurk mode I read this whole thread and I saw many laugh several years ago when the possibility of RMC turning Grizzly shit into Grizzly salad was brought up. Most said just burn it to the ground which is something I pretty much agree with.

The ride is a bore. While I haven't rode every wooden coaster in the world obviously, I think it deserves its 'worst' label.

Torch it or give it a second life and let RMC get its hands all over it? I have no idea which would actually be cheaper. I assume a big part of that would depend on its potential replacement.

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby Domm » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:55 am

Jameslofton wrote:Seeing what RMC is doing with Hurler really does make you wonder if Grizzly isn't beyond saving after all.

In lurk mode I read this whole thread and I saw many laugh several years ago when the possibility of RMC turning Grizzly shit into Grizzly salad was brought up. Most said just burn it to the ground which is something I pretty much agree with.

The ride is a bore. While I haven't rode every wooden coaster in the world obviously, I think it deserves its 'worst' label.

Torch it or give it a second life and let RMC get its hands all over it? I have no idea which would actually be cheaper. I assume a big part of that would depend on its potential replacement.

Who's the guy on here that kept trolling this and the Knott's thread about that rare intamin surf rider? Quiet now. Either way, that negative energy went to way better things. Announcements period are $. We are fortunate.

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby Domm » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:46 am

coasterbill wrote:Image
I mean... it fits the mold and the description from the conference call. It's also a reasonably priced coaster which is an important factor to consider when they're adding 4 coasters in one year (regardless of what the payment structure is).

Nailed it

Postby coasterbill » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:54 am

Believe it or not people are often (I'd even say usually) wrong when making predictions about new rides with little information to go on. I fail to see the point of your post.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:14 am

Jameslofton wrote:Seeing what RMC is doing with Hurler really does make you wonder if Grizzly isn't beyond saving after all.

It's not exciting for coaster enthusiasts, but the ride was really smooth (as of 2014). It's a great family coaster. Most of the RMC conversions are when a ride becomes painful.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Rainbow MagicLand & Gardaland

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby Jameslofton » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:08 pm

Domm wrote: Who's the guy on here that kept trolling this and the Knott's thread about that rare intamin surf rider? Quiet now. Either way, that negative energy went to way better things. Announcements period are $. We are fortunate.
I thought you were referring to westcoasterking.

Bill most certainly isn't trolling.

coasterbill wrote:Believe it or not people are often (I'd even say usually) wrong when making predictions about new rides with little information to go on. I fail to see the point of your post.
I agree and another thing...making predictions for this park is even more difficult than most. Months ago when rumors/speculation went into overdrive, no one seriously imagined CGA getting a ride of this magnitude. Other than Gold Striker, CGA had been in a sort of limbo for years.

The announcement was best case scenario.

IMO it also allows the real possibility of parks like Michigan's Adventure, Valleyfair, etc. to get some killer additions in the coming years. Some of the fans of those parks are a tad doom and gloom but there's light at the end of the tunnel even though some believed the light was turned off due to cost cutting measures.

If they're willing to make a serious investment in CGA, it'll be their turn soon.

Canobie Coaster wrote:
It's not exciting for coaster enthusiasts, but the ride was really smooth (as of 2014). It's a great family coaster. Most of the RMC conversions are when a ride becomes painful.
Good points.

Unfortunately it was closed on the day I went a few months ago. I rode it in the 80s and 90s but wanted to ride it again now that it has that label attached to it. I don't remember it having that reputation back then. All I know is the fact it had/has long lines...so somebody likes it.

You're right. Its a good family coaster but at what point does it warrant removal? Its taking up valuable space back there that could easily be put to better use.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!