Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 984: Boogie Board Racer & Grand Carnivale announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Carowinds Discussion Thread

Postby tanthonyam » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:41 pm

When do they usually open for the new season?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby VF15 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:10 pm

^
Usually the third or fourth weekend in March.

Postby coasterbill » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:44 am

I'd bet the house that they'll be open on the 28th. The 21st is also a possibility. Note that their temperature limits are higher than most parks (especially for Intimidator) so if you're traveling from any distance, give them some time and maybe go in April or have flexible plans if you want to go earlier. If it's supposed to be over 50 degrees then you're fine.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Lightning Rod » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:23 am

I’m making plans to go to Carowinds for the first time in July 15-17. Right now I’m planning to stay at the new SpringHill Suites by Marriott at Carowinds for two nights. Has anyone stayed at the new hotel yet? I’m curious I book the room through Orbitz was $389 for two nights and I was wondering is it worth it? Also is the hotel within walking distance to the park? When I’m done with Carowinds on Friday night I’m driving straight ten hours north to Cedar Point staying then staying at Breakers for 3 nights.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby coasternut79 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:38 am

Lightning Rod wrote:I’m making plans to go to Carowinds for the first time in July 15-17. Right now I’m planning to stay at the new SpringHill Suites by Marriott at Carowinds for two nights. Has anyone stayed at the new hotel yet? I’m curious I book the room through Orbitz was $389 for two nights and I was wondering is it worth it? Also is the hotel within walking distance to the park? When I’m done with Carowinds on Friday night I’m driving straight ten hours north to Cedar Point staying then staying at Breakers for 3 nights.
The new hotel is definitely within walking distance as it's directly beside the entrance booths.

Postby coasterbill » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:48 am

Lightning Rod wrote:I’m curious I book the room through Orbitz was $389 for two nights and I was wondering is it worth it?

It's the most expensive hotel in a 5 mile radius for those dates aside from an Embassy Suites. It looks very nice but I think they're smoking the good sh*t. There are tons of super, super nice hotels that are $100 less and you're booking through Orbitz so you're obviously not interested in working towards Bonvoy status. There's a Hyatt place for $150 less, another Springhill suites 2 miles further for $100 less. Crown Plaza...

They need to put the crackpipe down. That's my opinion. Even if a hotel is 2 miles away, Uber to a better hotel and still pocket an extra $100. :lol:

Edit: It's a few dollars cheaper to book right through Marriot and earn rewards points than to book through Orbitz but they still need to put the crackpipe down.
Last edited by coasterbill on Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:52 am.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:05 am

Lightning Rod wrote:I’m making plans to go to Carowinds for the first time in July 15-17. Right now I’m planning to stay at the new SpringHill Suites by Marriott at Carowinds for two nights. Has anyone stayed at the new hotel yet? I’m curious I book the room through Orbitz was $389 for two nights and I was wondering is it worth it? Also is the hotel within walking distance to the park? When I’m done with Carowinds on Friday night I’m driving straight ten hours north to Cedar Point staying then staying at Breakers for 3 nights.

It's worth noting Carowinds is off a highway with no crosswalk. If you're across the street, you should take an Uber even though the distance isn't far...unless you like playing Frogger.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Universal Orlando/Islands of Adventure & Disneyland

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:15 am

I've used Uber to Carowinds a few times, it's really easy they let the driver bring you all the way up to the entrance. Same with pick up. I wouldn't pay that much for that hotel.

I'll recco Comfort Inn At The Park. I plugged in your dates and it only costs $185.
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

Postby VF15 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:57 am

Monster Jam: Thunder Alley is coming to Carowinds from March 21 through April 19. This pretty much confirms March 21 as Opening Day.
https://www.carowinds.com/play/events/monster-jam-thunder-alleyk

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby tndank » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:54 pm

That hotel price is crazy. The Comfort Inn may be closer to the gates. If not, it's very close. Save yourself some money. You're going to be at the park all day. You just need a bed and bathroom for a few hours each day. Comfort Inn has some food and an waffle maker in the morning, too. The Comfort Inn is also closest and easiest to the interstate as well.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!