Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 984: Boogie Board Racer & Grand Carnivale announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Re: Carowinds Discussion Thread

Postby pǝʇɹǝʌuı » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:39 pm

Those photos are amazing! Thanks for sharing!

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby coneyislandchris » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:30 am

Yeah, these photos are not doing a great job of making me ANY less excited to get back to Carowinds this weekend for the first time in two and a half years. :lol: Great shots, especially that rainbow pic! Amazing.

The forecast is looking a little rainy this weekend, scattered showers throughout the two days we'll be there. How are they on closures down there? We're staying at the Comfort Inn right next door so I mean, worst case scenario, we can always hide out in our room for a while and come back to the park if they open up again later on... just wanna make sure they don't pull a Six Flags Great Adventure on us and close at 3 if there's rain going on earlier in the day.
That coaster dad [335] and that coaster kiddo [212]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Twisted Timbers. Intimidator 305. El Toro.

Kiddo's faves: Talon. Alpengeist. Copperhead Strike. Twisted Timbers. Fury 325.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby tndank » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:29 am

Cedar Fair doesn't like to close their parks. It'll be open unless it's pretty bad.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby kylexy2298 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:05 pm

Thanks for the reports, both of you seemed to have an awesome day at the park. And those photos! :lover:

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby tndank » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:13 pm

Anyone got news on Copperhead Strike? Heard there was injury and it's been down since Sunday.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby hoppedup » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:41 am

tndank wrote:Anyone got news on Copperhead Strike? Heard there was injury and it's been down since Sunday.

From local news website:

Carowinds released the following statement:

“On Sunday evening, a guest had a thumb injury on the Copperhead Strike roller coaster. Park officials immediately responded and the guest was transported for medical care. Out of precaution, the ride is currently closed while we conduct an assessment. The safety of our guests is our top priority.”
Parks: 21 | Coasters: 142 | Wood: 39 | Steel: 102 | Fiberglass: 1

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby michaellynn4 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:46 am

Can't say I've seen many "thumb" injuries from roller coasters. Curious to see more details emerge.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Postby yawetag » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:15 pm

Seems the front part of the train (the fiberglass(?) car part) came off and hit her on the thumb.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:46 pm

^That almost makes sense. People online are trying to figure out how a 'thumb' injury closes the ride for multiple days. But if a part of the train flew off that isn't supposed to, then that makes sense of why it's still closed.

Postby yawetag » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:04 am

Newer information is making the issue more cloudy. A screenshot of a post of the victim on Facebook implies there was a malfunction on her seat (using her wording). Also, it doesn't appear the thumb was detached, as the post was a few hours after the incident and shows the victim in a bandage; if she had lost her thumb, recovery time would have been much longer.

But, if there was a malfunction, then I can understand the extended closure. Also possible that South Carolina requires rides to remain closed until they can complete an investigation, which may take a few days to get someone to the park and do their job.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!