Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 984: Boogie Board Racer & Grand Carnivale announced!
Users viewing this topic: i305isdaddy and 15 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Re: Carowinds Discussion Thread

Postby bgtlover » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:00 am

No need to fight. That's 100% accurate...lol
Coaster Count: 130
Top 10:

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby AndrewA86 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:24 pm

Was at Carowinds today. It wasn’t my first time at the park so I won’t give a big park review. Overall I love the park. Fury is unbelievable and was running better than my last visit which was a colder April day last year. Still love Intimidator and Afterburn.

But the new hotness known as Copperhead Strike was pretty disappointing. I went in with really low expectations based on some people saying it was slow and some others even calling it a family coaster. Without the inversions it pretty much is a family coaster. Yes it had some nice hang time because you of how slow you went through some of the inversions but overall I thought it felt a lot slower than 50mph. The launches are not all that great and the second one really isn’t noticeable at all.

This coaster was pretty expensive, right? I feel like the park could have got the same kind of forceless slow boring ride for a lot less.

One thing I did really like was the restraints. I wish other manufacturers could follow suit in that regard.

I guess this filled a need in Carowinds’ lineup with a launch coaster. Now I would argue that the park needs a good launch coaster...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby JJLehto » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:37 pm

Yeah, Copperhead Strike was OK...and I too kept expectations low. Especially the launches, I heard they were very slow/forceless so I kept that in mind. Even with that I was a bit let down. I knew it would be somewhere between Cheetah Hunt and Maverick, and for me..pretty much in the middle but a tad towards the Cheetah Hunt side. It was indeed a mild ride, with the 2 good pops of airtime, 1 or 2 whippy moments. The hang time was indeed the best part, which is probably not a great thing. I love hang time, but yeah with a multi launch multi inverting coaster with that compact wild layout...
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Fury 325, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), I305, Lightning Run
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast

Postby AndrewA86 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:06 pm

I think Cheetah Hunt sh!ts on Copperhead. I prefer Sky Rocket at Kennywood over it as well..

Postby JJLehto » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:18 pm

Well I found Cheetah Hunt pretty mild, basically CS but even less...there was just the 1 airtime moment (maybe 2 depending on seat) and even less force and inversions. It was fun dont get me wrong. But yeah Copperhead was a let down.
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Fury 325, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), I305, Lightning Run
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast

Postby AndrewA86 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:58 pm

Cheetah hunt is pretty mild but seemed to be a lot faster than CS. I’m not exactly sure how fast either is but CH seemed a lot faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:10 pm

How were the lines? Copperhead Strike seems like something park guests would love, which is why I'm asking.

Postby JJLehto » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:12 pm

You're right about that, and it doesn't just seem it IS faster. 60mph I think? Not positive but I think its 60. Helluva lot faster than CS I mean 50 mph is already slow but after such a mild launch... Shame, the idea of accelerating over an airtime hill seemed awesome, but yeah I barely noticed.

That said the ride was still my #4 at the park. Honestly after that it's a big drop off. Everything else was meh at best. So I deff feel CS was a great addition. They needed something else outside their strong top 3. Even Intimidator surprised me. I generally didn't hear much about it and when so people seemed dismissive, I got lots of solid air, even a moment or two where I "felt" the ride! Low expectations, but I enjoyed it. Afterburn was great as I heard. Only reason I didn't ride it a ton more was 1 train ops and the line while small was always like 30 mins. Fury was often 5 at tops so it was more worth marathoning that!

But I always make a layover in Charlotte when going north, I will surely stop by here next year on my way to CP or wherever. On a weekday it was dead, and made for a great few hours.

Postby AndrewA86 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:38 am

prozach626 wrote:How were the lines? Copperhead Strike seems like something park guests would love, which is why I'm asking.

No lines. At it's busiest it was a station wait. The longest I waited all day was 20 min for Afterburn. Intimidator was walk on and Fury was about 10 min up until the last couple hours where it was walk on.

Postby AndrewA86 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:47 am

JJLehto wrote:
That said the ride was still my #4 at the park. Honestly after that it's a big drop off. Everything else was meh at best. So I deff feel CS was a great addition. They needed something else outside their strong top 3. Even Intimidator surprised me. I generally didn't hear much about it and when so people seemed dismissive, I got lots of solid air, even a moment or two where I "felt" the ride! Low expectations, but I enjoyed it. Afterburn was great as I heard. Only reason I didn't ride it a ton more was 1 train ops and the line while small was always like 30 mins. Fury was often 5 at tops so it was more worth marathoning that!

Yeah CS is definitely #4 in the park because of the huge drop off. And when I go back I'll ride it as long as the line isn't longer than 15 min. I'm just really curious as to what the park was trying to accomplish with CS. Was it intended to be a high thrill coaster or a mild coaster? Seems to me it was the former. If true IMO it's not a good addition.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!