Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 984: Boogie Board Racer & Grand Carnivale announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 11 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Carowinds Discussion Thread

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:22 am

^ For B&M stand-ups, you want to make sure you get your head above the OSTR. You do this by sort of slouching while the seat locks. Once it locks, your shoulders will be pressed against the top of the restraint but you will avoid all headbanging.

That's how I was able to enjoy Vortex on this trip as well as Riddler's and Green Lantern recently.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby pǝʇɹǝʌuı » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:07 pm

DILinator wrote:Coasters can objectively be rough, and as I mentioned before, we coaster enthusiasts are not the ones to properly determine what that is, because we ride so many coasters we are desensitized to a lot of what IS rough, to the average everyday person.

I'll give you that argument. I will, however, stand by my opinion that I enjoyed Vortex. Perhaps it should be given in the context that such a ride CAN be enjoyed if you're willing to brave a few bumps and jolts. It has its merits.

With all the discussion on standups, that they're better if they're smaller, can I suggest Riddler's Revenge as a counterexample? That ride is hardly considered rough and engineered well enough to where it's not too forceful and actually has pretty good transitions. It's the tallest and fastest standup yet my GP friends all had good things to say about it.

Also, random question for Flying Dutchman fans, does anyone know why Nighthawk's lift hill is so much quieter than Firehawk's was? I must say, that was one of the things that Nighthawk did better.

Postby DILinator » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:12 pm

pǝʇɹǝʌuı wrote:I'll give you that argument. I will, however, stand by my opinion that I enjoyed Vortex. Perhaps it should be given in the context that such a ride CAN be enjoyed if you're willing to brave a few bumps and jolts. It has its merits.

Oh yes, I think anybody can enjoy any coaster, and that's totally ok. I'm not trying to say rides like Vortex or SoB can't be liked, or have their fans. Just that they ARE objectively rough coasters, and responding to somebody else's comment, was explaining why people who call them rough aren't "pussies", or "babies". They're the more "normal" riders. I'll never ride Vortex again, but I know a few of you on here like it, so to each their own. If somebody hasn't been to the park, and wants to get the credit, I wouldn't try to dissuade them from doing so (though, interestingly, I'm not much of a credit whore, as I've been to Carowinds twice now, and didn't ride the Boomerang, or kiddie coasters either time. If a "credit" doesn't appeal to me, I'm not likely to ride it, as credits aren't the ultimate goal for me when I go to a park.)

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby RollerManic » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:53 pm

“Objectively rough” does not apply to Vortex. I swear, if you were me when I rode you, you too would swear it was just as smooth as the other three B&M’s in the park. I mean that wholly.

But see, I do believe you when you say that you had a ride on it as bad as SOB. But how can this be? I think with stand-ups, it’s a serious matter of how you set yourself up in the seats and your body type. I got myself perfectly tight, and my body style just worked, but I’m not claiming that’s perfectly repeatable or applicable to everyone. I wasn’t able to get it to work on Green Lantern (unlike you), so there’s an example of it not being ”repeatable” even for me. Furthermore, as I mentioned, I’m certain there are some people out there for whom the trick will never work.

Re - knee pain: I can’t relate as I’m young with healthy joints, but if that’s your case against Vortex/Stand-ups, I 100% understand it.

There definitely is such thing as “objectively rough” in coasters, but I find stand-ups are “completely subjective” because of the dynamics of different body types and fitting into the restraints and not something you can agree are “objectively rough”. SoB? Yeah, objectively rough.

EDIT: This is the “trick” I keep referring to:
Canobie Coaster wrote:^ For B&M stand-ups, you want to make sure you get your head above the OSTR. You do this by sort of slouching while the seat locks. Once it locks, your shoulders will be pressed against the top of the restraint but you will avoid all headbanging.

That's how I was able to enjoy Vortex on this trip as well as Riddler's and Green Lantern recently.

Postby pǝʇɹǝʌuı » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:13 am

I don't know if subjectivity is always the issue, though. Sometimes rides run better than other times. Case in point: I rode Fury 5 times in the same day. 2 of those times there was a pretty bad rattle, the other 3 were remarkably smooth. I think perhaps one of the trains ran better than the other (they were only running two trains), but regardless it goes to show that it's not always the fault of the rider and their opinion.

Plus, there are many more factors beyond the things already mentioned that go into coaster experiences. If you're not doing your best to stay hydrated, or if you jump on a ride right after a big greasy meal, or if a ride is your last in a long streak of back-to-back really intense rides, then you should expect to be a little less comfortable on it. I'm not trying to make any accusations, but I have observed that due to these exact factors, I've had "bad" rides on some of my favorite coasters. I'm sure age plays a part as well.

Postby prozach626 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:44 am

Wow... Boo Blasters is rough.

Fight me.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby yawetag » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:22 am

DILinator wrote:interestingly, I'm not much of a credit whore, as I've been to Carowinds twice now, and didn't ride the Boomerang, or kiddie coasters either time

You should really ride Woodstock Express. It's a fun little ride.

Postby DILinator » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:17 pm

^I actually think I may have ridden that one. I do like those family wooden coasters!

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

Postby pǝʇɹǝʌuı » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:33 pm

yawetag wrote:
DILinator wrote:interestingly, I'm not much of a credit whore, as I've been to Carowinds twice now, and didn't ride the Boomerang, or kiddie coasters either time

Agreed. Best wood coaster in the park fight me

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby yawetag » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:10 am

pǝʇɹǝʌuı wrote:
yawetag wrote:

Agreed. Best wood coaster in the park fight me

As much as I love Hurler, I did ride Woodstock Express this past weekend and wonder how it's remained so smooth.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!