Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 944 - Copperhead Strike Front Seat POV!
Users viewing this topic: robbalvey, Yeild4Pokes and 35 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Carowinds Discussion Thread

Postby VF15 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:29 pm

dadofgage wrote:Also, has anyone had experience staying at Comfort Inn At the Park? Good/bad?

I stayed at the Comfort Inn three years ago and it was good overall. Nothing fancy but room was comfortable, it has free breakfast, and it's within walking distance of the park if necessary.
2016 Valleyfair Ride Operator - Wild Thing
2017 Valleyfair Ride Operator - Wild Thing/Xtreme Swing

2018 Valleyfair Ride Operator - Steel Venom/Scrambler
2019 Cedar Point Ride Operator - Gemini (tentative)

Top Ten: Steel Vengeance - Fury 325 - Twisted Timbers - Intimidator 305 - Lightning Rod - Maverick - Millennium Force - Top Thrill Dragster - Banshee - Goliath (SFGAm)

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:57 am

I stayed at the Best Western across the street and thought the hotel was nice, but it wasn't safe to walk to the park. The park is basically across a highway and there isn't a crosswalk.

The Comfort Inn is the one hotel I remember being on the same side as the park so if you plan to walk to the park, that is the best option by far.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler, Skyrush
Most Recent Trip Reports- IMG Worlds of Adventure & Global Village

Postby coasterbill » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:19 am

You should all know by now that if you mention a Choice Hotel I magically appear. I'm like the point-whoring fairy.

Here's the thing, there's no such thing as a bad Comfort Inn. It's at the point where I barely even bother to read reviews of Comfort Inn or Comfort Suites because they're all good. Don't expect the Ritz Carlton but expect a clean, nice hotel with a decent free breakfast and a good price.

PS: If you're staying two nights and you have a car then sign up for this promotion and hop to this hotel on the second night. Doing this will net you 8000 points which is enough for a free stay at many Choice Hotels that you can use in the future (assuming you book through Choice which you should).

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:31 am

Even without a car, you could Uber across the street. I ended up doing that after I saw a family almost lose a real-life game of Frogger dodging traffic.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler, Skyrush
Most Recent Trip Reports- IMG Worlds of Adventure & Global Village

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby hoppedup » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:36 am

^^Thanks. I have the Comfort Inn booked for pass holder preview night. Going to book one of my rooms on my spring break trip at a Choice hotel to get that bonus.

Postby coasterbill » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:51 am

Awesome! By the way, you can get that bonus an infinite number of times. We've collected like 30,000 points just in the last 3 weeks. :lol:

If it's a long trip and you stay at their hotels exclusively (and hop every night) you'll absolutely clean house.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby hoppedup » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:00 am

coasterbill wrote:Awesome! By the way, you can get that bonus an infinite number of times. We've collected like 30,000 points just in the last 3 weeks. :lol:

Wow. Did not know that. If that is a recurring promotion, then it's bye bye, Wyndham for good. I figured all the hotel hopping was for a purpose, but damn.

Postby coasterbill » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:06 am

They usually do this promotion twice a year. It's crazy easy to earn points with them. I'm a Hilton Honors member and a Marriot / SPG Bonvoywhateverthefuckit'scalledtoday member but we almost always stay with Choice since they have the best rewards program by far.

Basically we always pay for the rooms (or use a cashback travel rewards card to make Choice think we paid) during this promotion since the points earning is so good and then once it's over we're always sitting on a mountain of points so we usually end up at Choice since we never have to pay for the rooms. I have 97,000 Choice Points right now and we're still "paying" for rooms during this promotion. :lol:

They're pretty good at keeping us loyal. lol

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby grsupercity » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:52 am

A new choice hotels card will net you 38,000 free points!
After riding Lightning Run I can not understand why parks are not lining up to buy some Hyper GTX models. That little ride rocks

Postby coasterbill » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:07 am

Yeah, there's also that (though the public offer is 32,000).

I've sort of given up promoting credit cards to the masses because I realize that they're taboo and people apparently hate free, non-taxable money but the card has no annual fee so it's a great way to supplement their already awesome free rewards program. The best play for this card is to churn it for the signup bonus and then never use it again unless you're at a Choice Hotel (where it earns 5 points per dollar) or you have expiring points and you want to keep them alive.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!