Scott's Coaster Closet

An amazing collection of roller coaster history!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby SeaWhippet » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:39 pm

nrs2420 wrote:I love these old pictures. 110 film, what's that? lol :lmao:

You must have a huge freakin closet.

On the outside The Closet appears entirely normal, but once you cross the threshold ... well, it's ... vast ... ;)

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Wildcat cars

Postby Defcon62 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:12 am

I came across the trains over on Idorapark.org a couple years ago. The trains were discovered sitting under a covered porch in the outskirts of youngstown at the home of the guy who bought them at the auction back in 84.

The cars sold individually to different people for $500 each. The yellow train appeared to be in great shape and looked as if you could hop in and ride. My particular car was the last one available at I snagged it for $350 because it was in the worst shape of them all. I'll have to fabricate a new front lap bar and seat. I managed to find a replacement set of decals through a buddy that has been in the hobby longer than I've been alive.

Its in ok shape for being exposed to the elements for 20 years, In MUCH better shape than the existing jackrabbit cars.

A old work friend bought the raging wolf bobs from apex machinery awhile after the GL auction and I've worked out a deal to get myself a section of wolf bobs track to put the coaster car on.

Thanks again for all the excellent vintage pics !!!!!
wc150k.jpg
Excuse the 7th layer of hell that is my garage, I'm remodeling......
wc2150.jpg
front shot, they went cheap on the repaint towards the end

Postby SeaWhippet » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:26 am

Glad to see the lead car is at least under shelter now. Are the wheels still intact? Though it will take some work to restored it, I'd be interested to see once this happens. Also, the next time I speak with Tom Rebbie at PTC, I'll ask if he might have an old lap laying around the shop. Good luck!

Postby SeaWhippet » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:30 am

Defcon62 wrote:Amazing shot of the chippewa coaster, I would have loved to have seen the back when there was some more things intact, When I got there the train was in sections. One in the station one flipped over off the tracks just outside the station the others in the tunnel. They eventually dissapeared in the following years and more things fell apart.

Though I was able to walk much of the Chippewa Big Dipper's course when I shot those pics in 1982, the track and uprights were in pretty good shape after all those years of neglect following the park's closure. That white train on the covered transfer was even better preserved. Too bad nobody every snagged those cars for preservation before the vandals had their way with then. :x

Has anyone seen video of that ride in operation? I'd love to check that out.
bigDipper.jpg
Big Dipper in operation.

Postby Defcon62 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:59 pm

The wheels and braking system is pretty much intact albeit in need of some de-rusting. They all still turn though I am missing one upstop wheel, when I get off work I'll post a pic of the underneath and try to find pics of the other cars.

If you could get me a replacement lapbar I would probably touch myself in an impure manner.

If I remember correctly there was an amusement park display at the cuyahoga county fair a couple years ago. I was unable to make it there but I remember seeing pics of one of the chippewa cars on display. I'm REALLY curious as to how the trains were removed as they were rusted to the tracks last I saw them not to mention they were falling apart from exposure. I'd also like to know who cut the brake levers off about the same time the cars dissapeared. The brakes still worked as of 2000 or so.

Idora Wildcat trains

Postby Defcon62 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:10 am

http://www.idorapark.org/gallery/catcars?page=1

For everyone that was interested, here's the pictures of the wildcat trains as they were discovered awhile back. It appears there was a yellow, orange and blue train.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Location: Coney Island by Day. Staten Island by Night. Tokyo in my Sleep!

Postby CycloneMan » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:15 am

Nice shot of my Aunt Mae's old house ;)

Postby SeaWhippet » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:48 pm

Defcon62 wrote:The wheels and braking system is pretty much intact albeit in need of some de-rusting. They all still turn though I am missing one upstop wheel, when I get off work I'll post a pic of the underneath and try to find pics of the other cars.

If you could get me a replacement lapbar I would probably touch myself in an impure manner.

If I remember correctly there was an amusement park display at the cuyahoga county fair a couple years ago. I was unable to make it there but I remember seeing pics of one of the chippewa cars on display. I'm REALLY curious as to how the trains were removed as they were rusted to the tracks last I saw them not to mention they were falling apart from exposure. I'd also like to know who cut the brake levers off about the same time the cars dissapeared. The brakes still worked as of 2000 or so.

I'll see what I can find on the lap bar. I'm always happy to inspire self-touching! :)

Sorry to hear some loser cut the brake handles off the Dipper. Nice act of preservation. :angry:

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby netdvn » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:50 am

Those trains are awesome. If only I could have a piece of coaster history.

For some reason, I think the image on the Dipper train looks Photoshopped on (or at least edited on).

Postby SeaWhippet » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:02 am

netdvn wrote:Those trains are awesome. If only I could have a piece of coaster history.

For some reason, I think the image on the Dipper train looks Photoshopped on (or at least edited on).

Someone sent that to me a while ago. If you mean the Native American decal/painting on the front looks Pshopped ... I have no idea. I have see other shots of the ride in operation and it also features that graphic.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!