Scott's Coaster Closet

An amazing collection of roller coaster history!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby restoca » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:55 am

More great stuff Scott. Strange that those GASM trains were just sitting there, exposed to the elements. I remember seeing Texas Cyclone PTC trains in "storage" at SFOT, slowing slowly being stripped for parts for Judge Roy Scream.

Flyer & Screechin' Eagle - two more woodies I knew of when they were operating, but never rode. Wildcat after its relocation was a bit of a mess.

I've seen photos of those odd Springlake rides. I wonder if that hybrid train-coaster was completely unique to that park, or if similar attractions could be found elsewhere. Here's a photo that appears to be the same ride, and called Super Chief.

I've looked for the manufacturer of that Orbit ride, but no luck. Looks like it could be Eyerly or very closely related. I think the entire ride rotated on that main column.
springlake55s.jpg
Orbit11.jpg

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby borisdag » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:41 am

That looks insane and there's not enough money in the world to make me ride that beast!

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby SeaWhippet » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:44 pm

Great shots, restoca. I would love to have seen the Orbit (and that train with coaster hills) in operation. Surely, some home movie exists out there somewhere ...

Screechin' Eagle is one I DID get to ride on several occasions. It had a very "loose" feel and some of those airtime pops (esp. the steel hill off the turnaround) were intense. I spoke with a well known coaster designer who was at Americana last year and he said the Eagle is in VERY good structural condition. Apparently, they put a LOT of work into it not long before the park closed.

Now Americana is owned by that kooky RV/camper salesman. What a waste. That's as bad as Idora being owned by the brainless pentecostal church of the holy coaster haters. And we see the crime against history those hateful freaks committed ... RIP Wildcat & Jack Rabbit. :(

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby cycamps » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:51 pm

Screechin' Eagle looked like a great ride. Those pictures were pretty neat. That Orbit ride seemed rather interesting. I'm sure it's just as safe as any other carnival ride though...

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:29 pm

Here is my POV of both coasters that were at the CNE, the Doppel Looping and the Flyer.

Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Postby SeaWhippet » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:52 am

Thanks for that vid, Shane. The Flyer's train seemed incredibly long for such a small ride. I'm told by friends who rode it that, because of this extended train, there were some interesting push-pull effects. Sorry I missed his one and Le Cyclone at Parc Belmont. :(

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:21 pm

^^ Cool! thanks for the POV and pics. I remember riding the Doppel Looping at the CNE many years ago. I think that the woodie was gone when I went, but I remember that Doppel Looping was great at night. I went to the CNE last summer, but it seems that this place is not the same - is it smaller now?

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:32 pm

I can't believe I missed this great post that including the Screechin' Eagle. Glad I caught up with this one. I do miss that coaster and I wonder what will ever become of it, or if it's even too late.

It's one of the coasters I'm looking for footage of if anyone has a POV!

--Robb

Postby SeaWhippet » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:33 pm

robbalvey wrote:I can't believe I missed this great post that including the Screechin' Eagle. Glad I caught up with this one. I do miss that coaster and I wonder what will ever become of it, or if it's even too late.

It's one of the coasters I'm looking for footage of if anyone has a POV!

--Robb

Robb-

The Eagle really was a great coaster. I wish someone would relocate this one. I have quite a few still shots of the ride in action. I'll look through The Closet to see what I have video-wise. Looking forward to your defunct coaster production.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby tedten » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:06 pm

Wow this thread is amazing.
I can't believe that 'rainbow' ride that looked like an enterprise or orbit on an arc was actually constructed and operated.

Here is some interesting Info on Old Indiana Fun Park that many people may already know but I find it interesting, being the Hoosier that I am.

Someone mentioned the bobsled that was sitting disassembled in an indiana field for some time. Many people may already know this but that was the Old Indiana Fun Park property. I had the chance to visit there when I was younger before the unlucky miniature train accident but I was too young to ride the two credits: Montagnes Russes & Mad Mouse. Here is a link to the RCDB page detailing the history of the park, it's many name changes, financial trouble, and it's downfall:

http://rcdb.com/pd89.htm
http://rcdb.com/ig692.htm?picture=7
http://rcdb.com/ig169.htm?picture=3

^The pictures when you click on the coasters are just sad.
The coasters were transported from Opryland & SFNE for storage after the park had closed so they never operated at Old Indiana . It's also interesting to think Premier parks was planning to reopen the park as a "Heartland Festival Entertainment Complex" in 1999 but six flags has since sold the property.

I'm also fascinated with the history of Pacific Ocean Park (Not Santa Monica Pier). It's where my mom had her first date circa 1967. I've found a lot of information on wikipedia and a few other enthusiast websites detailing many of the rides & history but if anyone has any additional information that would be awesome to take a look at with my Mom. Thanks for getting through my post!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!