Scott's Coaster Closet

An amazing collection of roller coaster history!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby bobafett » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:49 am

SeaWhippet, did you work on the piers or just know someone who did? I spent my childhood summers on the beaches of WildWood. I have a summer home located 5 minutes outside of North WildWood. Still go down there every weekend, even in the winter. I love it down there. It has changed so much though. Thanks for the old pics of WildWood. If you have any more please post them. Thanks! =)

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby SeaWhippet » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:47 am

Here's a video of one operating at Mirabilandia fairly recently. I seem to recall the Wildwood units going backwards through the loop at least twice. I suppose there were various programs. Unless these two went somewhere else while they were here, I don't think any Katapults operated in the States.

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:17 am

That ride looks so fun, sorry I never got the chance to ride one. Now let me ask the million dollar question:

Is that a credit?
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Postby SeaWhippet » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:25 am

bobafett wrote:SeaWhippet, did you work on the piers or just know someone who did? I spent my childhood summers on the beaches of WildWood. I have a summer home located 5 minutes outside of North WildWood. Still go down there every weekend, even in the winter. I love it down there. It has changed so much though. Thanks for the old pics of WildWood. If you have any more please post them. Thanks! =)

No, I didn't work in Wildwood, though I went there a lot with friends who lived nearby. Those pics were shot in the winter when the piers were closed. I agree that the old Wildwood had a lot more character. I never rode the Screem Machine as my first visit to the shore was the year AFTER it was torn down. :(

Postby SeaWhippet » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:15 am

montezooma wrote:That ride looks so fun, sorry I never got the chance to ride one. Now let me ask the million dollar question:

Is that a credit?

Sure, it's a credit! And it DOES coast. The friction drive doesn't extend around the entire track.

It wasn't, in my opinion, a great ride, but it was quite entertaining to watch.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby DaveH80 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:36 am

Hey Scott, great pics as always! I really enjoy seeing nostalgic pictures, especially from the 80's as it brings back lots of childhood memories. I really enjoyed Wildwood through the years, sadly I was too young to ride the Katapult when it was there. This coaster model has always intrigued me, I'm a huge Anton fan & this would have been a nice one to ride. Does anyone know why the one at Mirabilandia was so short lived? They only operated it for a year I believe.

Fabulously FIERCE!

Postby DenDen » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:09 am

OMG! I have so much to say about this latest update, I don't know where to begin! So I'll "try" to make it short!

The Katapult video is AWESOME! Good find!

I was lucky enough to experience the old trains of the KW Racer. It really was such a different ride, and granted, the ride today is mild, smooth and comfortable, the old trains were 10 times better, and without seat dividers, you really did slide around. I know I've mentioned this somewhere, but the old trains are actually still in exsistance at Station Square in downtown Pittsburgh.

The Coney Island shot is AMAZING. When I see pictures like that, I just try to envelop myself in the image, and for some reason, its sad. But the history stuff really gets me.

An update to my mother trying to find our old family photos at West View, she has 3 more boxes to go through, with no sign of anything yet. I hope they're still there.
"To the floor! The only thing that will hold you up when nobody else will!"

Postby SeaWhippet » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:21 pm

Dave & Den, glad you and others are into the history aspect of The Closet.

Den, yeah, that Coney shot is sweet. And as I said in my caption, it makes me a bit sad as well. There's something about that afternoon light and the lack of crowds that evokes a melancholy atmosphere. I soooooo wish the photographer had turned the camera into the station of the Bobsled ... He did, however, shoot the Tornado's platform. There's a pic of that in one of my books. I'll try to find it.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby kpmcman » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:07 pm

do you have any more pictures of salisbury?

Postby SeaWhippet » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:43 pm

kpmcman wrote:do you have any more pictures of salisbury?

The only other ones I've seen belonged to PTC and were printed in the Schmeck book that ACE produced. This pic was published in Charlie Jacques' reprint of an old PTC catalog. It shows the Wildcat as the ride originally opened in 1927. Those speed bumps must have been crazy!

The ride was reworked and tamed somewhat (by Schmeck) in 1941 and reopened as the Comet (yet I've heard that many people still called it Wildcat). The photo I posted first was shot in 1974 after the ride had been closed for a year. It was destroyed in 1976. :?r
SalCat2.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!