Scott's Coaster Closet

An amazing collection of roller coaster history!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby borisdag » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:53 am

QueerRudie wrote:A great collection of posts, no doubt about it- and a little bit of trivia back about Ocean View Park's Rocket....

Back when I was in College in Tidewater, a friend of mine (also an enthusiast) showed me something that made me DROOL...

It was THREE of the cars from the defunct Rocket, languishing away next to an old warehouse near the Campus of Old Dominion University. When I left Tidewater in the late 90s, they were still there, but as that area has been 'redeveloped' I'm quite sure they are now gone, sadly. If I'd only had a trailer and a place to store them...

Actually, many years ago I saw the cars you're talking about. They were literally on the side of a warehouse on a street in an area that was sketchy at best. There used to be a nightclub in the area called The Cue Club and the old Rocket cars were down the street from it. ODU was nearby/

I haven't been to Norfolk in prob ten years, so I have no idea if they're still there, or what the area is like these days!

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Defunct Coaster Potpourri #1

Postby SeaWhippet » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:14 am

I was looking through the Closet today and happened up a lot of little oddball items that didn't really fit a particular 'theme' and/or I didn't have much on each ride. So, I thought I'd group them all together for a little look back at some of the wonderful roller coasters that have been lost to history.

If only I had a time machine --- or some way to slingshot around the sun and go back ... ;)

Enjoy!

– Scott
PCyclone.jpg
Palisades Cyclone. I remember seeing this in an old 8th grade biology text book and just had to "add" it to my collection. At the time, I had no idea which Cyclone it was. Who knew back then that this train would find its way to Williams Grove ... :(
SGOG ticket.jpg
Texas Cyclone. That's right, it's not the Georgia version, but a reversed image of the Lone Star original ... complete with those big 4-bench PTCs!
Buckrode Dipper.jpg
Buckroe Beach Dips. Yet another in a long line of coasters-seen-but-not-ridden. Because of an evil twist of fate, I got to walk around and shoot both this ride (which had no up-stops!) and the nearby Ocean View Rocket on the same day but was denied a chance to ride them. Grrrr.
Idora.jpg
Idora Jack Rabbit. This sweet little ride was just plain fun. Though the bigger and meaner Wildcat was more popular, it was such a joy to slide around on this clunky retro classic from the early 1900s. I sincerely hope that whoever is really responsible for allowing this beautiful park and these brilliant coasters to be destroyed is slowly roasting on a sharp spit in Hell. I'm just sayin' ...
SalbryWlcat.jpg
Salisbury Beach Wildcat. Though I never got a chance to experience this Herb Schmeck beauty, I've daydreamed about its action-packed layout for years. Schmeck is one of the most clever and underrated coaster designers ever.
Redondo Giant Dipper.jpg
Redondo Beach Giant Dipper. This classic Fred Church seaside twister shared more than a few elements with the San Diego Dipper. This is another design I wish GCII would replicate ...
Playland1.jpg
Rockaways' Playland Coaster. This Vernon Keenan ride used little two-seat NAD trains and had several crazy toss-you-out drops (especially the second one). I miss this little park and this very llooooong ride.
Steplchs JJet.jpg
Coney Island Jumbo Jet. I included this old worn Polaroid because it was sent to me when I was a little boy by the secretary of Steeplechase Park. Note the Steeplechase name on the ticket booth.
Coney Bobsled.jpg
Coney Island Bowery. This pic was shot by Mike Boodley's dad in 1974. Bathed in creamy, late afternoon light, this image always makes me a little sad. I can't help but focus on someone's grandma there, walking with her head down past both the Tornado and Bobsled, oblivious to the potential fun just waiting. Or maybe she can't look up because she remembers being a young girl in the '40s, riding those classics with her long lost love. "I'll never let go, Jack, I'll never let go ..."
Kwood racer.jpg
Kennywood Racer. Though the Racer is still rolling along, these huge (original) 4-bench trains are long gone. Like the Jack Rabbit, they only used fixed lap bar and a thin leather strap as restraints. I didn't realize what 'rider freedom' meant back then ...
Morey's piers 87.jpg
Morey's Pier. Glory Days! In this 1987 shot, you can clearly see both a Schwarzkopf Jumbo Jet and Katapult (one of two that were in Wildwood at the same time). Heaven. Also, on the right is (I think) the kooky and short-lived Canyon Trip.
Rattler.jpg
Rattler. When it first opened in 1992, the Fiesta Texas Rattler had one of the most terrifying first drops of any coaster operating anywhere. From the back seat, this twisted 166-foot plunge was truly an awe-inspiring experience. Despite, those tin-cans-on-wheels ... I mean, original Morgan trains and sinfully boring helix, the Rattler was a unique one-of-a-kind ride. Today, there's a nice flat wooden trestle where that wonderfully drop once thrilled brave riders.

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:02 pm

Yes that first drop on the old Rattler was amazing and truly "one of a kind".

I also like that brochure cover for Six Flag's Georgia Cyclone. Even though it was 1990 it sure has a 1970's feel to it. I sure hope they didn't stay with that marketing company too long, that cover is awful, but I love the picture of the Texas Cyclone!
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby thrillerman1 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:08 pm

SeaWhippet wrote:
Schmeck is one of the most clever and underrated coaster designers ever.

For as much flack as ACE receives, I highly recommend the book they published in 2006, "Herbert P. Schmeck: The Forgotten Legacy". It has some great old b&w as well as color photos!

Postby SeaWhippet » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:37 am

montezooma wrote:Yes that first drop on the old Rattler was amazing and truly "one of a kind".

I also like that brochure cover for Six Flag's Georgia Cyclone. Even though it was 1990 it sure has a 1970's feel to it. I sure hope they didn't stay with that marketing company too long, that cover is awful, but I love the picture of the Texas Cyclone!

That SFOG thing is actually the top half of a discount ticket. Yeah, that is an awful design. And why'd they flip the pic? If they'd left it alone, at least they would have had the ride in the proper direction for its Georgia placement. I LOVE that big train! :b

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby bobafett » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:55 am

You are correct in saying that is the crazy Canyon Trip ride on Morey's Pier in WildWood,NJ. That was a fun ride,although I was a little scared every time I rode it. The other Katapult coaster was located on Nickel's Midway Pier down at the other end other boardwalk where Castle Dracula used to be. Ahhh.... the memories of my youth. I used to love the Jumbo Jet. I used to the love the clackity sound it would make going up a hill. Those were the days.

Postby SeaWhippet » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:09 pm

I remember wondering why those Katapults, which were rare rides even back then, would be located so close together. Though I LOVE Anton's coasters, this ride was never very Katapult-y. It certainly didn't have the OMG! factor of the spectacular Weiner Looping - in its original incarnation. The Jumbo Jet was a pretty big deal back then. I thought it was so cool that there was also a Jetstar there as well. I miss the old Wildwood ... :?r
More Jumbo1.jpg
Me sitting on the Jumbo Jet as it was being dismantled.
Morey katapult.jpg
...and hanging out on the Katapult before it was removed.

Postby SeaWhippet » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:08 pm

Yes, thrillerman1, the Schmeck book is a treasure if you're into the history of wooden coasters, especially those designed by PTC's greatest visionary. I actually worked a bit on this book and feel it shows (at least in a visual sense) just how much Herb Schmeck contributed. Though I feel Fred Church was the true, premier artist of that era, Schmeck pushed the envelope with several of his Wildcats and created quite a few inspired thrillers.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby restoca » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:59 pm

I had never seen the Katapult until I saw (fell victim to?) a very bad Shelley Winters film on TV many years ago. It was about carnies, where she and her husband were the owners of the Katapult, if I remember correctly. There's a brief description of the 1981 masterpiece at imdb.

Were the two Wildwood locations the only US home of a Katapult? How many trips through the loop did one ride get you? (My, what a long train you have...)

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby bobafett » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:29 am

^I remember you went forward and backwards but I can't remember how many times. I don't know if they were located anywhere else, I remember them in WildWood.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!