Scott's Coaster Closet

An amazing collection of roller coaster history!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
The classic!

Postby dr.gumbo » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:14 am

That Suspended coaster update is probably one of the most interesting updates you've given us so far, and you've given A LOT of interesting stuff.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby kitsch transporter » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:45 am

Thanks for the great "Alpenflug" pictures. The first one was taken at Oktoberfest in Munich, the only fair the ride ever played.

The coaster was so popular that the owner had to call in police to control the crowd of spectators and riders. Of course this was also a sure way to get some free press.
I still remember that "Alpenflug" made huge waves in the news and in the papers.
After all, the manufacturer MBB is/was a hi-tech weapon company with a very unpopular standing in postwar Germany.

The coaster was the largest and most amazing (travelling) coaster the world had seen back then and when it was closed down and permanently dismantled due to its faulty fabrication, the publicity got even larger.

The whole "Alpenflug" dilemma was certainly not the kind of publicity and image-change the dubious company had hoped for.

The other pictures show the ride during construction on the MBB plant near Munich. That explains the unfinished IKEA look of the cars.

It´s a pity that there are no more pictures which show the ride in fill swing.

According to the Stengel book, every part was manufactured as a double. So the second coaster was actually already existing, but it was never assembled and probably ended up as some bombshell.

Speaking of the Stengel book: There are some sketches of Big Bad Wolf from the Schwarzkopf-phase.
They show a train of 4-person cars, which look almost identical to the Arrow-trains. There is a scene which shows the train racing through a "bob"-trough, with the track hidden in the theming.
Then there is another scene in which the train is racing down a snowy hill, while "jumping" over a "bavarian" house, which is half sunken in the snow.
Those sketches indicate that Schwarzkopf and most likely Busch Gardens were not planning to use those huge "Flugbahn" cars, nor the circular track that was originally designed for this attraction.

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby SeaWhippet » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:05 am

kitsch transporter wrote:Thanks for the great "Alpenflug" pictures. The first one was taken at Oktoberfest in Munich, the only fair the ride ever played.

The coaster was so popular that the owner had to call in police to control the crowd of spectators and riders. Of course this was also a sure way to get some free press.
I still remember that "Alpenflug" made huge waves in the news and in the papers.
After all, the manufacturer MBB is/was a hi-tech weapon company with a very unpopular standing in postwar Germany.

The coaster was the largest and most amazing (travelling) coaster the world had seen back then and when it was closed down and permanently dismantled due to its faulty fabrication, the publicity got even larger.

The whole "Alpenflug" dilemma was certainly not the kind of publicity and image-change the dubious company had hoped for.

The other pictures show the ride during construction on the MBB plant near Munich. That explains the unfinished IKEA look of the cars.

It´s a pity that there are no more pictures which show the ride in fill swing.

According to the Stengel book, every part was manufactured as a double. So the second coaster was actually already existing, but it was never assembled and probably ended up as some bombshell.

Speaking of the Stengel book: There are some sketches of Big Bad Wolf from the Schwarzkopf-phase.
They show a train of 4-person cars, which look almost identical to the Arrow-trains. There is a scene which shows the train racing through a "bob"-trough, with the track hidden in the theming.
Then there is another scene in which the train is racing down a snowy hill, while "jumping" over a "bavarian" house, which is half sunken in the snow.
Those sketches indicate that Schwarzkopf and most likely Busch Gardens were not planning to use those huge "Flugbahn" cars, nor the circular track that was originally designed for this attraction.

I have the Stengel book. It really is a treasure trove of info. You are right about the sketches showing a ride that looked a lot like the Arrow version that except for the "snow" theme and the bob skids on the vehicles. From what I can gather from interviews with both Stengel and Ron Toomer, the "original" BBW design did indeed call for the single-pipe track and the big 14-seat cars, but for whatever reason the second version Stengel did used the same setup used on the Bat vehicles/track. Stengel also made it very clear that Schwarzkopf had every intention of banking his track on the BBW, unlike what transpired on the Bat and Alpen-Flug.

Furthermore, I asked Stengel if he thought a true suspended coaster could be built today and he was very enthusiastic about it. He even said his company had developed additional calculations to make it possible and that he would be quite excited to work on a modern version of the suspended coaster. Now wouldn't THAT be something to see ... :)

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:20 am

TurboWagon wrote:Never did experience either those trains or White Lightnin' but my parents always talked about how "pointless of a ride" it was. :b

BLASPHEMY!!!!
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Fabulously FIERCE!

Postby DenDen » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:21 am

All I can say is wow! Scott and Shane are the amusement park gawds!

Awesome update Scott!
"To the floor! The only thing that will hold you up when nobody else will!"

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Nosferatu » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:22 am

Great Update Shane.

Seeing as you say you interview Mr. Stengel I assume you where the one that wrote the article about Alpenflug in First Drop about a year ago :) It was a very interesting story, both then and now and I would love to hear more like it :) Looking forward to the rest!

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:29 am

^ Well I would love to take credit for that update because it is one of the best I have seen! But Scott is the one with all those great pictures.

-Shane

PS. I am completely intrigued by this Stengel Book. I am going to try and track down a copy right now, what is the name of it? In the mean time I WOULD LOVE IT if you posted the pictures and sketches Anton did of the Big Bad Wolf.
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby SeaWhippet » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:31 am

Nosferatu wrote:
Seeing as you say you interview Mr. Stengel I assume you where the one that wrote the article about Alpenflug in First Drop about a year ago :) It was a very interesting story, both then and now and I would love to hear more like it :) Looking forward to the rest!

Yes, I did the FD story.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby DRACHEN_FIRE_FAN-BOY » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:14 pm

WOW! Thanks so much for sharing this! I've wanted to see more photos of this, so THANKS!

I bet that would be scary to ride in *shudder*

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Nosferatu » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:34 pm

SeaWhippet wrote:
Nosferatu wrote:

Yes, I did the FD story.

Wow, sorry. I got the attic and the closet mixed up a bit there :P Anyway, I just want to say it was a great feature, and one of my favorites. Keep up the good work :)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!