Scott's Coaster Closet

An amazing collection of roller coaster history!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Love Donkeys!

Postby Looping Starship » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:54 am

montezooma wrote:WOW that UFO thing is a crazy contraption. I have seen drawings and models of such a ride at the IAAPA convention but never knew that there was a actual ride built. You can see here the concept advertised by IAD as the Rainbow. I have no idea who the mfg is of the UFO.

Hello!

Sorry for my late answer. As for the UFO ride, the manufacturer is a spanish company named Robles Bouso (i guess that´s the name of the owner). i haven´t managed to find out more facts than he/them/they´ve built a couple of paratrooper rides, octopus rides and so this UFO thing. They might have manufactured other rides also but these are the only one i could came up with right now. We actually had a RB Ufo travelling here in Sweden in the late 70´s. The ride came directly from the factory up to the north of Sweden. I´ll attach 2 pictures of it when it was brand new and 2 pictures from it´s new home, in Poland, taken 2007.

Hope i didn´t got oo offtopic now.

/ Robert
ufo1.jpg
During the late 70´s
ufo2.jpg
During the late 70´s
ufo3.jpg
As it looks "today" (2007)
ufo4.jpg
As it looks "today" (2007)

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby SeaWhippet » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:41 pm

I recall seeing a "half" version of this ride somewhere many years ago. I can't remember the fair, but it was basically the same thing but the little mini-enterprise went from horizontal to vertical and then back down again. It was called UFO and though interesting to watch, it was not my cup 'o tea.

-S

Looping Starship wrote:
montezooma wrote:WOW that UFO thing is a crazy contraption. I have seen drawings and models of such a ride at the IAAPA convention but never knew that there was a actual ride built. You can see here the concept advertised by IAD as the Rainbow. I have no idea who the mfg is of the UFO.

Hello!

Sorry for my late answer. As for the UFO ride, the manufacturer is a spanish company named Robles Bouso (i guess that´s the name of the owner). i haven´t managed to find out more facts than he/them/they´ve built a couple of paratrooper rides, octopus rides and so this UFO thing. They might have manufactured other rides also but these are the only one i could came up with right now. We actually had a RB Ufo travelling here in Sweden in the late 70´s. The ride came directly from the factory up to the north of Sweden. I´ll attach 2 pictures of it when it was brand new and 2 pictures from it´s new home, in Poland, taken 2007.

Hope i didn´t got oo offtopic now.

/ Robert

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Cyclone37 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:26 pm

For anyone whos interested...

i used to operate the Cyclone at Southport Pleasureland in England, from 2004 right up to closing day!

While the ride was hit and miss with regards to excitement, i loved using the manual brakes, and have since come to love all coasters that still have them even if some of them disagree with my spine :br

It was very exciting, and yes, in training, several trains went right through the station, sometimes fully Loaded. Of course i could do that on purpose if i wanted ;)

If anyone here was on the UK trip a few years ago, i was running the ride for the ERT :)

Refering to the original post, as with the Big Dipper at Camden, Cyclone also used manual levers but connected to Squeeze brakes. But instead of century flyers i had to deal with heavily modified PTC cars.

Im glad this topic was brought up, i toothought that i was alone on this one!

Postby SeaWhippet » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:27 pm

Cyclone37 wrote:For anyone whos interested...

i used to operate the Cyclone at Southport Pleasureland in England, from 2004 right up to closing day!

While the ride was hit and miss with regards to excitement, i loved using the manual brakes, and have since come to love all coasters that still have them even if some of them disagree with my spine :br

It was very exciting, and yes, in training, several trains went right through the station, sometimes fully Loaded. Of course i could do that on purpose if i wanted ;)

If anyone here was on the UK trip a few years ago, i was running the ride for the ERT :)

Refering to the original post, as with the Big Dipper at Camden, Cyclone also used manual levers but connected to Squeeze brakes. But instead of century flyers i had to deal with heavily modified PTC cars.

Im glad this topic was brought up, i toothought that i was alone on this one!

Hey Cyclone37!

No, you're not alone in your manual brake fascination. As you can see, there are plenty of us!

Wow, I envy your gig as a Cyclone operator. Cherish those memories and feel free to post a few pics of the Cyclone's station/brake area (and any other part of the ride for that matter!).

Sadly, despite all my time in the UK, the Cyclone is the one that I missed. It looked like a great ride.

-S

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Cyclone37 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:47 pm

There are some good pics on this site from the day of the trip, i was operating but am not in any of these, i have seen a video someone has put together from this day that i am actually in, pulling my Levers :P :

http://www.themeparkreview.com/uk2006/s ... hport2.htm

I will remember it all my life!, its a shame i dont have much proof of it though :( The picture right below is taken from the front end of the station, im in the Brakeman's box on the far end, cant really see me though, but it is me! This pic was actually taken 3 days before the park closed, at this point, nobody was to know! Very Riverviewesque!!
n571531807_1223144_6291.jpg
Me in the box!
158801067_71e7394204.jpg
Exit Platform
cymf04.jpg
Fireworks in town, at this point, Pleasureland and the Cyclone had been closed for 2 weeks.
570686820_fd15606ee4.jpg
well this is the cyclone station at least :P here it looks like its been in a cyclone!

Lizzie McGuire is AWESOME!

Postby kalvin » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:37 pm

SeaWippet, When will the new season be starting?

Postby SeaWhippet » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:44 pm

kalvin wrote:SeaWippet, When will the new season be starting?

Hey Kalvin,

Thanks for asking. I'm actually assembling the first 'episode' right now. I hope to have it up by this weekend but a trip down to SFOG for a dose of Mindbender and pumpkins might delay it by a day or so. I'll get things rolling soon. Gotta keep up with Shane in The Attic! ;)

-S

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:47 pm

Yes Seawhippet...when is the new season going to start???? It's like waiting for the new season of Lost.
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Postby SeaWhippet » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:40 pm

montezooma wrote:Yes Seawhippet...when is the new season going to start???? It's like waiting for the new season of Lost.

Unlike Lost, The Closet will not feature any wonky flash-forwards, flash-sideways or quick-cut edits to any Dharma-related installation.

It's all about funky retro wonderfulness. Yeah, baby, yeah!

-S ;)

Locke: Is he talking about what I think he was talking about?
Ben: If you mean time traveling bunnies, then yes.

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:47 pm

Touche
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!