Scott's Coaster Closet

An amazing collection of roller coaster history!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Yummy! I just ate donkey!

"Killer Coasters " ---- Popular Mechanics - Sept.

Postby SeaWhippet » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:39 pm

This 1987 PopMech article features the horrific SFGAdv Lightnin' Loops and Edmonton Mindbender accidents, plus a nice long article on coaster history/safety.

Enjoy!

Scott

Here is the news cast from the day of the Lightnin' Loops accident. You can hear exactly what happened from the guy sitting next to her.

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=kONWwpo_rwY[/youtube]
PM1.jpg
PM2.jpg
PM3.jpg
PM4.jpg
PM5.jpg

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:03 pm

Didn't Lightnin' Loops have OTSR? How could they "lock behind her"?

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:10 pm

^ She got in and sat down while the restraint was already closed. Remember that in early Arrow coasters, the restraights were flat. Imagine these restraints without the silver handle:

She had no idea that there was supposed to be something over her. Yes, I know it sounds stupid, but you have to remember that you don't have to pass an IQ test to ride a coaster.

For whatever reason, the ride was started with the woman sitting on top of her restraint.

From what I have been told, it was after this accident that Arrow started putting those HUGE round handles on all their restraints.

--Robb

Shirtless Dude!

Postby Twister II » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:27 pm

Does anyone else notice the body laying under Mindbenders loop? :?r

I poop golden school busses

Postby astroworldfan1 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:30 pm

I saw it, it must have been after the accident. Why didn't the ride ops check the restraints?

-Tatum

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby westipher97 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:52 pm

^ I have the same question regarding Lightning Loops. Wasn't someone checking restraints?! Didn't ride ops physically pull on them to ensure they were locked? Even if you just walked by and made a visual, wouldn't you notice if a rider didn't have his/her harness pulled down?

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:01 pm

I believe before this accident it was not customary for ride ops to check the restraints. After this happened it became policy for them to check each lap bar physically. Also Six Flags put all those big orange handles on their lap bars which made it impossible to sit back against a closed lap bar.

I also thought that the girls was thrown from Lightnin Loops as the train went from the launch area down into the drop, ya know where you get the major airtime on those launched loops. I didn't know it occurred in the loop.

I still find that picture of the Mindbender with the body on the ground very disturbing. What a horrific accident :(

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:35 pm

montezooma wrote:I believe before this accident it was not customary for ride ops to check the restraints. After this happened it became policy for them to check each lap bar physically. Also Six Flags put all those big orange handles on their lap bars which made it impossible to sit back against a closed lap bar.

I also thought that the girls was thrown from Lightnin Loops as the train went from the launch area down into the drop, ya know where you get the major airtime on those launched loops. I didn't know it occurred in the loop.

I still find that picture of the Mindbender with the body on the ground very disturbing. What a horrific accident :(

Wasn't there speculation at the time of the LL accident that the girl was intoxicated & sat down in the seat AFTER the staff had already checked,and cleared the train for dispatch? Had she been sobor she would've seen as she approached the car that the restraint was down already.

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby SeaWhippet » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:37 pm

I agree, Shane, that shot of the body beneath the Mindbender's loops is awful. I could not get that image out of my mind during my flight from Las Vegas to Edmonton for my first spin on MB after the accident. Despite the train being comprised of three pilot cars with those bloody ratcheting OTSRs, I fully enjoyed the ride. The sheer brilliance of the Schwarzkopf/Stengel design overshadowed everything else. The Mindbender remains one of my all-time fav rides!

-S

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby cycamps » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:48 pm

RandyV wrote:Scary -- I have that exact same article in my stash of stuff. This is the kind of thing you had to go find if you were interested in theme parks before the Internet.

My focus was mostly on Marriott's Great America in Gurnee, IL. Guess I may have to fire up the scanner and share some things with everyone as well.

Please post those! That's my home park and I think it would be very interesting

Also, that article above was fascinating.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!