Scott's Coaster Closet

An amazing collection of roller coaster history!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby coasterking2981 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:25 am

Wow, nice pictures. Are Colossus at SFMM and Gemini at Cedar Point the only remaining dualing/racing wooden coasters left? Or are there a few other still standing? Just cruious.

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby SeaWhippet » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:52 pm

montezooma wrote:Well it looks like they cloned rides back then too.

Herb Schmeck constantly duplicated successful elements of his many design throughout his career. The Myers Lake Comet and Knoebels Phoenix (aka Rocket) are almost identical.

It appears John Allen did the same thing .. at least with the Shooting Star and Screamin' Eagle.

-S

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:55 pm

Too bad John Allen didn't build a clone of Mr Twister, then we would have had a back up.
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Postby SeaWhippet » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:13 pm

montezooma wrote:Too bad John Allen didn't build a clone of Mr Twister, then we would have had a back up.

Agreed. It remains one of my greatest hopes that those who decided to trash Twister and Wildcat and create that abomination downtown have a nice toasty place awaiting them ... :devil:

I poop golden school busses

Postby astroworldfan1 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:50 pm

coasterking2981 wrote:Wow, nice pictures. Are Colossus at SFMM and Gemini at Cedar Point the only remaining dualing/racing wooden coasters left? Or are there a few other still standing? Just cruious.

There are a lot of racing coasters still standing, and still operating today! Im not gonna list all of them, just look on RCBD!

-Tatum "Hasn't ridden a racer yet"

Postby SeaWhippet » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:18 pm

hipbrianhop wrote:That looks like a dawm good racer, I've only been to Kennywood racer and the Gemini.
That was in a trip to America 5 years ago, since then I never have been to America our other Racers.
But anyway, this coaster looks brilliant, allthought I don't like the coulers in further pictures.
Well, cya! :lmao:

As others have said, check out: www.rcdb.com.

You'll find there are a few racers still out there, though none compare to the Mexico version in terms of intensity.

-S

Postby SeaWhippet » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:52 am

cosmic hearse wrote:WOW!!! :b This picture brings back so many memories! I've been to this park when i was 8. We went to visit my family in Mexico and we went here. I got on it with my older sisters, as well as the round-up and one of those carnival parachute/umbrella rides. The seats hang and it goes up at an angle just like the round-up. I don't have too many memories other than those 3 rides and getting a soda and being upset because the soda was pour out of the glass bottle and into a plastic sandwich bag with a straw inserted. And then I remember the big fountain thing outside of the park I believe across the street. My mom has pictures of us there, I'll have to ask her if she still has them.

Also my parents and aunt have been on it. Both my parents lived in Mexico until they were in their mid 20s. When they were in their late teens they went to this park on a double date with my aunt and some guy she was dating at the time. My aunt forced my mom on, my mom was too scared to get on but she eventually gave in and they all got on. Well apparently after the first drop my mom said she saw my aunts head just flopping around and she had passed out! Haha, my mom and dad and the guy she was dating spent the ride holding my aunt up. She came to after the ride. Ever since my aunt is deathly afraid of roller coasters...even Big Thunder at Disneyland. Even when she see's coaster footage on TV she starts getting all tense and the 'AYE DIOS!'s start coming out of her mouth. Its really funny. :lolr:

Glad the pic brought back good memories for you. I shot that pic on my last trip to ride the Racer before it was overhauled and ... altered:(. That's when they ran all six of those beautiful NAD trains in their Century Flyer glory! I miss those days ...[/b]

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:23 am

^ I'm curious, so what exactly did CCI do to those trains? I had thought at one time CCI was developing their own trains for this ride (wasn't one of them on Pegasus at one point?) but I had thought that went horribly wrong.

Is the only CCI train left the one running on The Underground?

--Robb

Postby SeaWhippet » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:22 am

robbalvey wrote:^ I'm curious, so what exactly did CCI do to those trains? I had thought at one time CCI was developing their own trains for this ride (wasn't one of them on Pegasus at one point?) but I had thought that went horribly wrong.

Is the only CCI train left the one running on The Underground?

--Robb

Rob,

When I rode LMR prior to the overhaul, the six 4-car Century Flyers featured seat belts with heavily padded lap bars. Due to the ride's extreme negative-Gs, the park added a vertical iron rod that was hinged to the car's floor. After the single lap bar was lowered over both riders, an attendant locked it to the iron rod. After one ride, I understand the need for the hardware.

During the overhaul, I believe the NAD chassis was used with CCI
modified bodies, seats, and individual ratcheting lap bars with an extra chain on lap bar. Rather uncomfortable due to the bar ratcheting down during the ride. I hope CCI didn't trash those beautiful headlighted fronts and side-panels. But I expect they probably did. Yet another crime against history. :(

-Scott

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby CedarPoint6 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:45 am

All very nice stuff. I'm more interested in history then I think any other aspect of coasters and amusement parks, so this is pretty darn helpful in seeing pictures of things I've always wanted to take a look at. The Racing Whippet was a big one as all I'd seen was just a few shots of that turn right on the ground.

I was also wondering if anyone had anything on the Miller's Puritas Springs Cyclone? That was one I always wanted to check out, but have yet to find any sizable pictures that tell me anything.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!