Scott's Coaster Closet

An amazing collection of roller coaster history!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:46 am

Hey Scott-

Do we get to see the inside of that Circus World brochure or are you just teasing us???
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby SeaWhippet » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:02 am

montezooma wrote:Hey Scott-

Do we get to see the inside of that Circus World brochure or are you just teasing us???

Just teasing, of course. ;) Actually, I meant to add it but had to run down to Carowinds to shoot the GCI rebuild of Thunder Road. I'll upload the rest of the Circus World brochure later today.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby Mr.Wood » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:09 am

This stuff is so great. All these pics are kinda creepy though. Coasters left to fall apart is so sad. When they're loaded with people screaming and laughing that gives them life It's tough to see them like this . Keep the pics coming. Thanks.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby MrMorgan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:52 pm

Just in case nobody has claimed it yet...

THIS is DEFINITELY the best thread.

Ever.

Postby SeaWhippet » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:59 pm

montezooma wrote:Hey Scott-

Ok, Shane ... I just added the three missing sections of the Circus World brochure:

Random mini-update: 1977 mag articles, 1980s brochures

Check out Anton's Das Monster! I wonder where that went ... ?

More coming soon ...

-S

Please Nuderstand This Mozart67. It's Something!

Postby Mozart67 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:33 pm

Not to be off-topic (The OVP demolition reminded me of it) but there was a coaster (Florida, I think) that was demolished in one of the "Cannonball Run" movies. Any idea what it was?

Garr. The Super Loops. The only flat I am fully terrified of and won't ride. Have seen that thing stuck in the apex way too many times to ride it. And speaking of loops, the Looping Wiener (?) looked intense.

I completely agree. This IS the BEST. THREAD. EV-ER.

Keep it up :)

Scott
HeadOn! Apply Directly to when you just don''t feel fresh. Side effects may include drowsiness, explosive belching, cosplay, and death. Use only when directed and when you have an outbreak, have a Coke and a smile!

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:11 pm

SeaWhippet wrote:Ok, Shane ... I just added the three missing sections of the Circus World brochure:

-S

Ahhhh...Now that's the good stuff. I loved Circus World when it was in that "carny" phase. I could not ride the Weiner Looping without blacking out.

This is the best THREAD EV-ER cough-shane'samusmentattic-cough

:lmao:
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

I Love Donkeys!

Postby kitsch transporter » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:22 am

I am pretty sure that "Das Monster" is not by Anton. I´d say it is from a dutch manufacturer. Antons Monsters had different and rotating gondolas.

But the track-bound pirate ship is one of Antons answers to the Huss swinging ships.

Does anyone know where this bizarre UFO ride came from? (That mini Enterprise that travels bothways on a semi-circular pole?) I remember seeing pictures of it in the seventies, but I never saw one in action.

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Ocean View memories-like the colors of my mind!

Postby borisdag » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:38 am

WOW! Great post! I love these old coasters! Can we go back to Ocean View for a sec? I got into the discussion late and I need to share!

I grew up in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area and Ocean View was just about the only amusement park before BG and KD opened. I can vividly remember going to Ocean View and riding a scary water dark ride, and a small diesel train (if I close my eyes I can even remember the smell of the fuel, and the oil from the tracks!). The coaster lined the street and I remember being enthralled as the cars roared up and down the boulevard. To be quite honest, for us Virginia Beach folks going to Ocean View Park was like taking a trip to the ghetto.

I rode that coaster as a teenager and I can tell you it was terrifying! The whole thing was a shaky nightmare.

Interesting stuff:

+ My mother rode it on her first date with my father and would never go near it again.

+ One of my mother's students is in Rollercoaster-an extra who is milling around in the background when Timothy Bottoms puts his cotton candy in the clown trash can. He missed a few days of classes (which my mother, of course, disapproved of). He complained about the filming process which required everyone dress for summer-even through production was in the dead of winter! He said it was torture to be in shorts in the middle of winter on the beach!

+ It was also called The Southern Belle before the production crew for Rollercoaster renamed it The Rocket (which stuck).

+ The park was also featured in a Playboy TV movie production called The Death of Ocean View Park! Local folks were scandalized when many of Heff's Playboy bunnies invaded Norfolk during filming!

+ It took three attempts to blow it up for the climactic scene in the tv movie. The first two explosions blew out windows in the shopping center across the street but the super structure didn't budge! Finally they had to pull it down with a tractor while faux explosions were lit all around to give the illusion it was collapsing.

+ These days there is a city park/parking lot where it used to stand, and it's a notorious gay cruising area where men have sex with each other in the sand dunes!

I'm just sayin.....

Postby SeaWhippet » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:52 am

kitsch transporter wrote:I am pretty sure that "Das Monster" is not by Anton. I´d say it is from a dutch manufacturer. Antons Monsters had different and rotating gondolas.

But the track-bound pirate ship is one of Antons answers to the Huss swinging ships.

Does anyone know where this bizarre UFO ride came from? (That mini Enterprise that travels bothways on a semi-circular pole?) I remember seeing pictures of it in the seventies, but I never saw one in action.

Shane, can you respond to the Das Monster-not-being-Anton's comment. I know my Schwazkopf coasters pretty damn well, but you're the flat expert in this case. ;)

The UFO is a strange little ride. The only version I've seen in person was at a fair (somewhere?). This one did not go all the over to the other side since the pole/guide thing was only a quarter circle. It loaded flat and then rose up to vertical like an Enterprise and then came back down. No idea who the mfg. is.

-S

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!