Scott's Coaster Closet

An amazing collection of roller coaster history!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'd kill to bang an Ewok

Postby Coasterlvr_nc » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:32 pm

^ I agree, I personally would like to see a lot of the stuff that happened around the time I was born until when I became an enthusiast. Those years seem to have a good amount of change that i would like to learn more about. Besides, its just neat to see how parks change and evolve over the years.
Intamin is my way of life!
Get High on Roller Coasters, not Drugs!
Furry is Life
Nighthawk, -10 Crew

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:33 pm

It seems so primitive to use wooden models to check for clearances. I wonder if Walter and Claude cut a lift hill and a loop out of plywood to check clearances on Kumba.

I am wondering if those trains were for the Chicago Loop at Old Chicago???

I poop golden school busses

Postby astroworldfan1 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:36 pm

They look like Loch Ness Monster's trains. I could be wrong.

-Tatum

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby SeaWhippet » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:45 pm

Robb -

I am more than happy to contribute to the Retro cause (thanks, Shane, for kicking it off with his Attic!). I'm just glad there is interest for such things.

astroworldfan1 -- My current avatar is a train from Alpenflug, THE first 'modern' suspended coaster that ran for two weeks at Oktoberfest 1975 in Munich.

-S

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby scruffy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:11 pm

Do you have anything from Coney Island, Ohio before it closed down and moved to Kings Island.

I used to have the last map but it got destroyed in a flood in the basement of my house.

Sir Haunts-a-lot

Postby Vffreak07 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:11 pm

I have a 1998 Valleyfair map/brochure. . . It really is interesting to see how the old park maps looked like. I really think its hilarious how bad some of them are. . .

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby cycamps » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:33 pm

I love this kind of stuff! It's so interesting to see the history of parks.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby RandyV » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:56 pm

Scary -- I have that exact same article in my stash of stuff. This is the kind of thing you had to go find if you were interested in theme parks before the Internet.

My focus was mostly on Marriott's Great America in Gurnee, IL. Guess I may have to fire up the scanner and share some things with everyone as well.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Moose » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:58 am

Iteresting article. Shane, I too was shocked about the wooden markup. I know something similar was used in submarine construction up until about 5 or 10 years ago. It was the best and cheapest way to make sure things fit.

I am guessing Claude and Walter used computers as the transitions etc are way to smooth to have been done entirely by hand. (bu that's just a guess).

Attic, Closet, then basement? these fun places are getting more interesting names :P

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:16 am

Holy blast from the past, Batman! I had completely forgotten about my subscription to National Geographic World as a kid. That issue would've been a bit early for me, but thanks for that post. It really brought back some memories. :)
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!