TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

I was surprised to see Kennywood was trending on Twitter this morning and was curious to find out why. Needless to say, this is the most "Pittsburgh-est" reason I could think of.

Pittsburgh Dad is filming and episode about this incident as we speak.

Pittsburgh is obsessed with cheese fries. I have never experienced such a thing anywhere else. Always there's ketchup available, maybe some places have malt vinegar. But in Pittsburgh, if you don't offer cheese fries, it's anathema. This brings back good memories of Kennywood.

Love the open design on the trains. This coaster is going to be so. much. fun.!

And let's not forget we'll be going upside down NINE times in those open seats with lapbars including once at 197 feet in the air!!

Love the open design on the trains. This coaster is going to be so. much. fun.!

And let's not forget we'll be going upside down NINE times in those open seats with lapbars including once at 197 feet in the air!!

Right?! So. Much. Fun.

Due to a serious lack of funds this year, I'm going to be doing hardly any roller coastering... However, the one trip that I am hoping to pull off with my kids, is taking them to Kennywood for their first time there! I love the park already, and Steel Curtain looks absolutely awesome (well, except for the name, theme, and colors! ) Hopefully it runs well, and consistently, once it does open!

For those that work at the park (I know there's at least one of you!), have you heard if there's any idea currently about when this will finally open? I'm not in any super rush to get there, thanks to the aforementioned fundage issues, just curious.

For those that work at the park (I know there's at least one of you!), have you heard if there's any idea currently about when this will finally open? I'm not in any super rush to get there, thanks to the aforementioned fundage issues, just curious.

I honestly don't think they know yet... but as you would imagine, they'd want to get it open ASAP. I'm going to KennyKon on July 20th, and they have Steel Curtain ERT on the schedule but with a disclaimer:

While it is hoped that The Steel Curtain will reliably operating by the time of the event, like all new installations, especially ones with new designs, technical challenges can prevail. In the event it is not operational, another roller coaster will be substituted for ERT, and the kindness and understanding of event attendees will be appreciated!

So yeah if anybody hears about when this opens, sound the alarm bells please. I have vacation June 14th-21st and I plan on spending maybe 1 full day back home in Pittsburgh, and the rest will be in Virginia Beach.

I've gone to Kennywood every year my whole life until last year, and now that the bandaid has been ripped off, I sure can skip another year. I'll be really disappointed, but if Steel Curtain isn't open by my vacation, I'm just going to King's Dominion....

I honestly don't think they know yet... but as you would imagine, they'd want to get it open ASAP. I'm going to KennyKon on July 20th, and they have Steel Curtain ERT on the schedule but with a disclaimer:

While it is hoped that The Steel Curtain will reliably operating by the time of the event, like all new installations, especially ones with new designs, technical challenges can prevail. In the event it is not operational, another roller coaster will be substituted for ERT, and the kindness and understanding of event attendees will be appreciated!

Thanks for the response! That sounds like about what I was guessing, based on where progress is at the moment.

Another question, for you, or any other locals or regular attendees... Is there a particular time of year that the crowds at the park thin out again, after mid-June? Perhaps late August? September? I imagine that's when we'll end up going, but I've only ever gone earlier in the season, so I'm not sure what it's usually like then. Thanks!

So yeah if anybody hears about when this opens, sound the alarm bells please. I have vacation June 14th-21st and I plan on spending maybe 1 full day back home in Pittsburgh, and the rest will be in Virginia Beach.

I know, I'll be going around July 11, and I'm kind of holding my breath to see if it'll be open by then--seems like it could be a close call. My travels are tied to a business trip, so the dates are kinda inflexible for me. :/