TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

^ The shin guards I find the worst are the ones on the Premier Sky Rocket II's. All other shin guards I've seen (including these ones from the photo) contour around the shin. On the Sky Rocket II's, it's that foam pad that is jammed against your leg.

True those did suck. My frustration stems from Twisted Timbers not accommodating me this year while Tempesto did and I am blaming the shin guards because I'm tall (when it's probably 99% my guts fault).

Two interesting observations:

1. Anyone else notice that the Steelers Logo has been removed from the logo with the bucket pouring steel. This would make the logo more marketable outside of 412.

2. There is a decent opening in the supports at the dive loop. It would be grand if Kennywood moved the bridge to go through the dive instead of keeping it behind it.

Two interesting observations:

1. Anyone else notice that the Steelers Logo has been removed from the logo with the bucket pouring steel. This would make the logo more marketable outside of 412.

My guess is that the Steelers logo was removed from the Steel Curtain logo only for official S&S material. I doubt that they would also want to pay the Steelers/NFL a licensing fee if they wanted to use those animations for promotions. If you watch the new animations, the trains also lack the Steelers logo on the back of the car.

Just my guess.

I myself can not wait for Steel Curtain to open and can only hope it lives up to the hype and delivers a ride comparable in thrill to Phantom's Revenge.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure how good these deals are but Kennywood does have some decent deals online for their holiday sale. $33 one day tickets valid until September 15th. Anyone in the 55+ crowd looking for a one day ticket the holiday special is $13! Not bad in my opinion.

Not sure how good these deals are but Kennywood does have some decent deals online for their holiday sale. $33 one day tickets valid until September 15th. Anyone in the 55+ crowd looking for a one day ticket the holiday special is $13! Not bad in my opinion.

It's a good deal for a non-local who doesn't want to spend hours searching for a cheap ticket months from now. I picked one up for $29.99 during the Labor Day Flash Sale.

I'm closing in on the 55+ ticket deals.

Any decent hotels or motels near Kennywood?

We stayed here

Close to Kennywood. Has a massive insoor pool. They have a very nice Restaurant and bar. My only complaint was the lights in the hallway were dim. Other then we enjoyed our stay. We would stay there again

We stayed here

Close to Kennywood. Has a massive indoor pool. They have a very nice Restaurant and bar. My only complaint was the lights in the hallway were dim. Other then that we enjoyed our stay. We would stay there again

Last summer, I stayed at the Econo Lodge in Jefferson Hills. It was a decent, clean place, and you can buy discount Kennywood tickets through them (for ~$30, IIRC).

The Choice Hotels website shows them having laundry facilities, but when I pulled up the motel, their laundry machines were unplugged and sitting in the parking lot. The guy at the front desk said they were getting rid of the guest laundry room. That was my only gripe with the place.

I live locally about 7 min from the park. Stay at the "waterfront area" at one of the places below. Anything and Everything surrounds the area. about 5 min drive to the park.....

Hampton Inn & Suites Pittsburgh/Waterfront-West Homestead

$136

2-star hotel

301 W Waterfront Dr, Homestead, PA 15120•(412) 462-4226

Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh East - Mall Area5

$112

3-star hotel

658 E Waterfront Dr, Munhall, PA 15120•(412) 205-3904

Courtyard by Marriott Pittsburgh West Homestead/Waterfront

$109

3-star hotel

401 W Waterfront Dr, West Homestead, PA 15120•(412) 462-7301

Kennywood has been sharing some great updates on Twitter on the construction of Steel Curtain!

It’s been an EXCITING day at the #SteelCurtain construction site! The first of the many track segments that make up the coaster’s twisted layout was carefully lifted into place. Nowhere to go but up!

We have a cutback! This will be the last of Steel Curtain’s nine inversions. Which one are you most excited for!?

Dua6Pm9WkAEmtwo.thumb.jpeg.704845f2364d014c3c1dd43770fc4a97.jpeg

Dua6Pm_W4AEUKoI.thumb.jpeg.241526df67f4434a16b3977079353e5b.jpeg

Dua6Pm_WkAEUWzt.thumb.jpeg.0f725bbdaa26e5b9446eeab325887f08.jpeg

Edited by jedimaster1227

There was a great update (and also a Facebook live video) posted today by Kennywood's PR guy Nick, showing off that Steel Curtain's vertical construction has now also begun in the lagoon area!! I am getting more and more excited for my home park's new addition with each new update and picture I see! We were at Holiday Lights on Sunday, and when we rode Thomas with our girls, you can get a great look at the construction area. Things look big already, so I can only imagine what it will be like when they top this thing off at a full 40 feet taller than their Skycoaster!

Kennywood's Facebook Live Video - Steel Curtain Construction

https://twitter.com/Kennywood_PR/status/1075448056391159808

KW_SC_Constr_1.thumb.jpg.0f0b4b5ed89f40f0e8c0b71da15fd795.jpg

Photo courtesy of Nick's above Tweet

KW_SC_Constr_2.thumb.jpg.0e510c85cb2b4c01c892edb2a66c407d.jpg

KW_SC_Constr_3.jpg.5a9608b4cf45de6334547e4ad8fcf0b8.jpg

KW_SC_Constr_4.jpg.65ac2f52aa3c14fa5ac09b328e452737.jpg