TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kemah Boardwalk and Bullet Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Kemah Boardwalk and the Boardwalk Bullet, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Official Park Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

December 6th, 2006 - first talk of a new wooden coaster

September 2nd, 2007 - opening weekend photos

December 19th, 2007 - work on Boardwalk Bullet to tame the ride

January 1st, 2008 - Boardwalk Bullet re-opens

April 13th, 2008 - additional trackwork on Boardwalk Bullet

May 9th, 2008 - Chance Chaos being installed

September 11th, 2008 - Hurricane Ike hits Kemah Boardwalk

November 15th, 2008 - Boardwalk Bullet re-opens 2 months after Hurricane Ike

November 17th, 2008 - 140 foot Super Shot Drop Larson Tower announced for 2009

January 30th, 2009 - Larson Tower opens but Boardwalk Bullet done again for more trackwork

August 15th, 2009 - Boardwalk Bullet to get more trackwork in September

I've heard the following news about a new woodie in Texas:

"By now the whole world may know of a new 2007 wooden twister project in the U.S. Unfortunately the park was not ready to make a full announcement by the time this issue went to the printer, but we just want everyone to know there's to be another cool woodie out there, headed for a Southern sunny spot near the water next year. Details soon, we hope."

Anyone have any idea what and where???

Edited by jedimaster1227

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here is a blurb in the newest ACE News

"By now the whole world may know of a new 2007 wooden twister project in the U.S. Unfortunately the park was not ready to make a full announcement by the time this issue went to the printer, but we just want everyone to know there's to be another cool woodie out there, headed for a Southern sunny spot near the water next year. Details soon, we hope."

Anyone have any idea what and where???

I believe they are talking about Ghostrider....

--Robb "Stupid ACE News always being late with their info!" Alvey

www.kemahboardwalk.com

My pics from this year:

It's a really "cute" place. Had been a Chance dumping ground, now this should bring in more people specifically for rides. It's a Landry's showcase otherwise.

The ride is said to only occupy about 1 acre, which is believable based on the park. It looks a lot like a GCI twister, and the first drop looks a lot like Hercules' (Jay, you listening??)

Edited by ParkTrips

Kemah Boardwalk was voted best place to take visitors in this years Houston Chronicle reader polls. As mentioned it is a showcase for Landry's restaraunts and the Amusement portion is a lot of fun. We have had one ACE event there already and I expect a lot more!

They still have not made any announcement, the owner just re-opened the Golden Nugget in Las Vegas so they have been busy but he did promise us a coaster Houston could be proud of. Looking at the models of the coaster that *might* be coming here is really exciting, especially after losing Astroworld.

The woodie looks lovely, nice 1st drop and great headchoppers everywhere. You lucky people in Texas.

Can't wait for a POV.

Just don't install a "Trim" brake on the 1st drop.

coasterboy25 - The ride will be more than reasonable, this is created by "Gravity Group" who are the best woodie designers in the world.

I remember reading about this coaster I think on coasterbuzz. I don't think this is a Grvity Group coaster, and I have two reasons. First, The layout does not like like a gravity group coaster, but rather a GCI as some have already mentioned. Second, if you look at the last of the four pictures Jakizle had on his post, the train on the model screams Millennium Flyer to me. I would say someone mixed up the designer becuase of the simmilar initials. But I agree, It looks like an awesome ride regardless of who makes it! Count me in as one of those "I would have gone to Houston until they took down Astroworld, but now I wanna go agian!" people!

^ Kemah is about 30 miles from downtown IIRC, and yes its on the water.

maps

I remember reading about this coaster I think on coasterbuzz. I don't think this is a Grvity Group coaster, and I have two reasons. First, The layout does not like like a gravity group coaster, but rather a GCI as some have already mentioned. Second, if you look at the last of the four pictures Jakizle had on his post, the train on the model screams Millennium Flyer to me. I would say someone mixed up the designer becuase of the simmilar initials.

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted, but here is a little more "proof" that its a Gravity Group product.

kemah.jpg.cbf4dd192a477ca78166c10f638fdb2e.jpg

^ Kemah is about 30 miles from downtown IIRC, and yes its on the water.

maps

I remember reading about this coaster I think on coasterbuzz. I don't think this is a Grvity Group coaster, and I have two reasons. First, The layout does not like like a gravity group coaster, but rather a GCI as some have already mentioned. Second, if you look at the last of the four pictures Jakizle had on his post, the train on the model screams Millennium Flyer to me. I would say someone mixed up the designer becuase of the simmilar initials.

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted, but here is a little more "proof" that its a Gravity Group product.

Fair enough, I will conceed the notion of it possibly being a GCI.

http://www.amusementtoday.com

Kemah Boardwalk building wooden coaster (DEC 7, 2006) The much-anticipated news is finally official. Amusement Today has confirmed that The Landry's Restaurant's-owned Kemah (Texas) Boardwalk is building a wooden coaster for the 2007 season.

The coaster will be located on a tight footprint next to the Saltgrass Steak House. Kemah plans for a late spring or early summer 2007 opening.

The contractor overseeing the complete project is Martin & Vleminckx Rides, LLC based in Haines City, Fla. The design of the ride was completed by Cincinnati, Ohio based-The Gravity Group. The yet to be named coaster will feature two, six-car trains (800 pph capacity) from Philadelphia Toboggan Coaster Co. The ride's safety system will be provided by Orlando's Entech. Bullock Smith & Partners in Knoxville, Tenn. provided Kemah with conceptual and other thematic drawings for the ride.

Concrete work for the ride's footings is underway and was contracted to Houston-based Bobcat Concrete. Erection of the ride's wooden structure by M&V is schedlued to begin next week.

The western-themed coaster will stand 96 feet tall, feature a first drop of 92 feet, reach speeds of 51 miles per hour and travel a track layout of 3,236. But the most impressive fact the coaster has is a result of its less than one-acre footprint that results in the most number of track crossovers ever designed into a wooden coaster. It will also feature several themed tunneled sections.

"The design team has developed a plan to give the Kemah Boardwalk a great wood coaster experience in a very tight footprint. The design incorporates countless crossovers, direction changes, and several tunnels. Tim Anderson, general manager at the Kemah Boardwalk told AT. "In addition, the coaster is being constructed within a few feet of Galveston Bay providing a great seaside view. I believe that this will be the coolest coaster on the coast and will be an exciting feature for our 3 million visitors per year.”

See the complete story in the Jan. issue of AT.

Kemahhigh.jpg.d0ea9495f3354e46dd0a7f175d1b4baf.jpg