Moreys Piers Discussion Thread

P. 107: Runaway Tram (Family coaster) coming in 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
(22:06:18) ajc47: who are the obnoxious ones? (22:07:16) tatertot3710: Mr. Starr, jeremie, deathbydinn

Re: Morey's Piers Discussion Thread

Postby tatertot3710 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:35 pm

New Finale for The Ghost Ship
We have learned a lot since the Ghost Ship opened Memorial Weekend, and the ship itself has undergone a fair amount of change. Because the crew is made up of live bodies, they are always changing their behavior to present newer and scarier material to visitors. The flexibility that the crew has is a huge part in making sure the attraction remains compelling. We have been adding things to the attraction hoping to improve it, but one area that we agreed we blew it on was the ending…….. well, that is about to change.

Construction is underway on a new scene that will deviate from the rest of the attraction. Lead designer Russell Bethea has miraculously found some hidden space to create a horrific new finale. The scene is being built by Morey’s in-house spook therapist, Anthony Canzano and local hauntepreneur, Eric Prinz.

It is not too late however to make suggestions for what you feel should be included in this scene. Feel free to express any other ideas you may have, as this is live theatre and change is part of the recipe…

http://www.moreyspiers.com/blog/?p=259
Last Credit: Stinger (Dorney Park, 4/28) -- Bringing coaster count to 83

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Mike240SX » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:39 am

I'm guessing this Ghost Ship business completely removed the mini-golf course that was in that building? If so, that's a shame.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 134
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Airtime&Gravity » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:12 pm

Morey’s Piers to host Breakfast in the Sky media day aboard 156-foot high Ferris wheel

(July 13, 2010) Members of the media are invited to experience a new way of enjoying breakfast – aboard Morey’s Piers 156-foot high Ferris wheel, the Giant Wheel. On Thursday July 22 from 9:30-10:30 a.m., Morey’s Piers will host a preview of its new morning dining experience called Breakfast in the Sky!

Morey’s Breakfast in the Sky Media Day will feature a sampling of menu items, all hand-crafted by Moreys’ new Executive Chef Walter Jurusz. Dishes will include Shrimp and Lobster Omelets, freshly-made Belgian Waffles or Smoked Salmon Scrambled Eggs.

Breakfast in the Sky is the newest out-of-the-box idea from the creative team at Morey’s Piers. Guests will be whisked away on a dream-like adventure, leisurely soaring high above Wildwood on Morey’s Piers Giant Wheel as the sun rises, while dining on culinary delights complete with fine china, white linen tablecloths, and wheel-side service.

This unique breakfast experience was one of the last famous ideas of Morey’s Piers’ late founder, Will Morey, Sr. Years later, to sentimentally honor their father’s last whimsical wish, the second-generation Morey Brothers, Jack and Will Jr., have set the dream in motion.

Reservations are required at least 48 hours in advance for media. There is a maximum of 30 spots for members of the media; however there is not a limit for the media to view the event.

To make your reservation contact Joe Degand of Suasion Communications Group. Call 609-653-0400 x124 or e-mail jdegand@suasionmarketing.com.

http://amusementtoday.com/

Postby cal1br3tto » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:24 pm

New goal in life: eat a formal breakfast on a Ferris wheel.
Seriously, I must do this.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Postby Airtime&Gravity » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:04 pm

Breakfast in the Sky opened to the public on Friday, and this article gives a nice description of what goes on.

WILDWOOD - It's not exactly in the sky.

And they haven't really reinvented the wheel when it comes to having meals in odd places.

But a new attraction called "Breakfast in the Sky," debuting Friday about 16 stories up in a Ferris wheel (the Giant Wheel at Morey's Pier, at Schellenger Avenue and the boardwalk to be precise), is a spectacularly unusual place to dine.

For $75 per gondola for one or two riders - and $35 each for two additional guests - you can see greater Wildwood, clear down the coast to Cape May. And maybe even catch a glimpse of a few dolphins as you dine on gourmet fare, like shrimp and lobster omelets, smoked salmon, steak and eggs, or Belgian waffles. The menu even includes a down-Jersey option: a locally grown BLT with a fried egg on sourdough bread with herb mayo.

Casually dressed engineers secure riders in cars before lowering in a specially made, fold-down table.

The waitstaff then sets the table with a white linen tablecloth, heavy silver wrapped in a cloth napkin, and a weighted basket of condiments. Juice and coffee are brought to the table, along with a basket of pastries, croissants, and toast.

China plates covered with warmers appear swiftly, containing whichever selections were made from the seven-item menu when the reservation was booked.

Then diners are whisked upward to enjoy their breakfast in place at the top of the wheel. Only 16 of the wheel's 40 cars are used for the breakfast experience, which departs between 8:30 and 10:15 a.m. Fridays through Mondays. Regular service resumes when breakfast is over.

"It's been a dream of ours for a long time," said Jack Morey, who runs the three-pier amusement company with his brother, Will.

Their late father, Wilbert, came up with the sky-high breakfast concept while on vacation at a golf resort more than a dozen years ago. Jack Morey says it's the only amusement of its kind he's heard of employing a Ferris wheel. A "Dinner in the Sky" experience during a summer festival in Toronto in 2008 hoisted 22 diners at a time aboard a giant table via a massive industrial crane.

"My father talked about doing something like this in 1997. We came back from our trip, we talked about taking what we had to offer and turning it into an attraction that people could embrace when they visit here," Morey said after Thursday's inaugural run, which was open to reporters and Morey's friends and family members.

If early bookings are any indication, visitors are embracing the idea. The company began taking reservations in June, and bookings are already tight. Breakfast will be served through Aug. 23.

If all 16 cars are booked to capacity, 64 people can ride and eat at once.

Morey's executive chef, Walter Jurusz, brought in last summer to update and refine menu offerings in the restaurants and food stands on Morey's Piers, said creating the "Breakfast in the Sky" menu and creating the dining experience had been challenging.

Prevailing winds 160 feet above the boardwalk meant that everything from the heavy metal bread basket to the lidded jar to dispose of used sugar packets had to be well-planned, he said.

"It's a fabulous idea," Jurusz said. "But a lot of thought has gone into creating the whole experience, not just from my end of it but from the entire Morey organization . . . the carpenters, the engineers, the creative teams, it's taken everyone to put this together."

The chef recalled a Goldilocks-like experience in choosing the coffee mugs.

"I have five different mugs sitting on my desk right now. One was too big; one was too small; one was too light," Jurusz said. "It took awhile to get it just right."

Link

$75 doesn't seem like a bad price considering the food and the fact that it's at an amusement park. Hopefully the quality is as good as it sounds though. Hopefully this ends up being a successful venture, and if so, hopefully it will occur again next year.

Flap, Flap, Flap. I'm a sexy girl!

Postby davisal771 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:23 pm

Thats a great idea, if not a little pricey. It seems like it would be a grand experience to eat a gourmet breakfast aboard a ferris wheel.

I'm guessing the higher price point would be to make up for costs that were lost during the 2 hours or so that the wheel is booked for breakfast. I would absolutely love to try this some day... I hope they continue it!
Coasters: 33, 31 steel, 2 wood Park count: 10, Elitch Gardens home park... :)

|Facebook!|

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby coasterdude28 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:32 pm

I went to Morey's last night and went through Ghost Ship. They really did a fantastic job with this. I won;t repeat everything said in the other reviews, but I will say that the claustrophobic room was one of the coolest haunted attraction features I have ever seen. I really liked that part of the ship.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby njbill » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:07 am

Been on the Ghost Ship several times now. First time I wasn't impressed, I guess I was holding it up to Brigantine Castle standards..... we went again on a Tuesday afternoon to take advantage of the 20 dollar POP, went on it when it first opened at 4 PM and thought it was much better. That clousterphobic thing is cool.

I'll drink donkey urine before I'll drink a Pepsi.

Postby Sir Coaster » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:45 pm

I'm going to be in Wildwood in October for a monster truck show on the beach, and I'm just wondering, is that GCI Woodie project complete?

I'm asking because I heard about it last year while I was in Wildwood, and I got real psyched about it, and since then, nothing came out of it...

I've been on Great White and Sea Serpent, both wonderful coasters (Yes...I said a VEKOMA BOOMERANGE CLONE was wonderful...), but the pier where Great Nor'Easter is is never open when I'm there...Can anybody tell me how much better it is than any other of Vekoma's "masterpieces"?

And I'm still bummed about Castle Dracula...That place was the best...
Home park: Six Flags Great Adventure Park Count: 23 Coaster Count: 79
Wooden: 15 Steel: 63 Liquid: 1
Favorite Wooden coaster: El Toro @ Six Flags Great Adventure
Favorite Steel coaster: Maverick @ Cedar Point

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby RollingRunner » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:13 pm

I believe Morey's is just starting to build the new GCI since they are starting the mini-golf deconstruction, (I think).

As for Nor' Easter, definitely one of the better SLCs out there. Minimal headbanging and an all around good ride thanks to the new trains. I reccommend sitting in the front, but it doesn't actually matter where you sit since any seat is relatively smooth-ish. Morey's really does a good job maintaining their coasters. Sea Serpent is almost a masterpiece, (or maybe a miracle...), considering how smooth it is!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!