TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Moreys Piers Discussion Thread

Sorry for the doublepost but I saw Moreys finally made somewhat of an official announcement about the Runaway Tram w/ renderings.

https://www.moreyspiers.com/runawaytram

NEW FOR 2019! Watch The Runaway Tram Please! You thought the boardwalk tramcar was out of control…wait ‘til you see this family-friendly coaster. All new for 2019, it’s here to kickstart our 50th season celebrations. We just know that little Bobby and sister Sally are going to want to queue up again and again for this exhilarating ride with a fun theme.

moreys1.thumb.jpg.94399d611cf7588daa26421175a39664.jpg

Moreys2.thumb.jpg.17015685259a56e22690f138adead568.jpg

Moreys3.thumb.jpg.fbc6b7bed97f368579b319a65683d318.jpg

Moreys4.thumb.jpg.a911006c65ac2dbbe5ea4e8e54d4cdff.jpg

Moreys5.thumb.jpg.47591367ebb4ac9be357512788ebe4e0.jpg

Also, a friendly reminder to all that passes/tickets/etc are cheap AF right now if you're planning a visit next year.

• 2 months later...

Update time! (Oh man triple postingggg!! Someone please respond so I can stop talking to myself in here! )

Morey's Piers to Introduce New Roller Coaster This Summer

WILDWOOD, N.J. - A new ride is coming to the Wildwood Boardwalk this summer. To celebrate 50 years on the Boardwalk, officials with Morey's Piers will be debuting a new family-friendly ride this summer on Surfside Pier called the Runaway Tram.

The new roller coaster is themed after the Wildwood sightseer Tramcar, which has been an icon on the Wildwood boardwalk for nearly 70 years. The new ride will be replacing the Flitzer roller coaster. Officials say while it was tough saying goodbye to the older ride, they hope this new addition to the pier will be a positive change families can enjoy.

"The Flitzer had this emotional farewell and, you know, a lot of people said 'why, why, why, why?' so I guess I hope the reaction is that people will say it was worth it," said Jack Morey, second generation partner, Morey's Piers. "And I think it will be. I think this will be a great new ride." The Runaway Tram will climb 40 feet before coasting, twisting, and turning riders along 922 feet of track. To make room for the new ride, Morey’s Piers had to move seven rides and completely reconfigure Surfside Pier, so come this summer visitors are in for a new fresh look.

The video at the link contains a tiny little interview w/ Jack Morey basically saying "sorry about Flitzer, we hope this is better" and a bunch of construction footage of what is going on currently on Surfside pier. Not too much new info here but a few things:

They've completely ripped up the pier underneath where Flitzer/Doo Wopper once stood to pour footers for the new coaster, and while I can't tell from any of the footage, it makes me wonder if they had to do anything (reroute or alter) the underground section of the Zoom Phloom. I would imagine they would have to because it went directly underneath there. I guess we'll find out.

As seen in this video posted by Moreys to FB they've literally picked up and moved the entirety of Dante and pushed it further back (north) on the pier to open up space between it and the flume. I suspect a smaller flat will be going in between them (total speculation on my part but there is a f*ckton of space now).

[fbvideonew]

[/fbvideonew]

Moreys2.thumb.jpg.1402ef8589f3f03c5ce80606b33630c3.jpg

They must have pretty high expectations for a family coaster, if they're doing that much extra work for it. I hope it's as good as they seem to think it will be! ...Just so long as it doesn't have any negative effects on Zoom Phloom. That's irreplaceable.

They must have pretty high expectations for a family coaster, if they're doing that much extra work for it. I hope it's as good as they seem to think it will be!

I think the re-configuring of the pier has much less to do with their expectations for the ride and much more to do with the fact that space is limited and this is a permanent installation (as opposed to Flitzer/Doo Wopper/Rollies which were moved around), this also has a larger footprint than those three (maybe not Rollies...). Moving a bunch of stuff around to make something new fit, especially something this large, is not out of the ordinary for Moreys. They've done it a bunch as they don't really have a choice.

I'm more excited about the changes coming to the pier than the ride itself but as the idea that its coming settles in more over time, I think its going to be a hit - WW folks are going to go gaga for the theme and I think Moreys will pull that off well. It won't have some zip like Flitzer but it'll be great for parents to ride with their kids who aren't yet tall enough for the Vekomas and Great White. As an uncle to a turning-6-this-summer nephew, I'm sure he'll love this. And ya never know - the first drop might have some great air in the back row (not holding my breath).

Not directly Moreys-specific, but this if this happens it's big news for the WW boardwalk.

Wildwood looks to state to fund $64.5M Boardwalk reconstruction

WILDWOOD — The City Commission last month approved a master plan that calls for a $64.5 million complete Boardwalk reconstruction. “The Wildwood Boardwalk is nearly 100 years old and is failing in many respects,” the plan said. The city is seeking funding from the state. The plan argues that revenue generated from tourism taxes for the state comes largely from the Boardwalk. “I pray to God, and I am hopeful that (the funding) comes to fruition because there is no way I can tax the people,” Mayor Ernie Troiano said. The city engineer has recommended a phased approach to reconstruction:

Oak Avenue to 26th Avenue: $25.5 million

Montgomery Avenue to Schellenger Avenue: $20.7 million

Cresse Avenue to Burk Avenue: $18.3 million

All infrastructure, including fiber optics, sanitary sewer and water piping, will be replaced and upgraded, the plan states. The Boardwalk would be rebuilt with a concrete understructure and hardwood decking. The project would begin in the fall if the money is available, the plan states. The city administrator met with the executive director of the Assembly majority office in December. Authorizing legislation for the money could be passed in the early part of this year, according to the plan. State Sen. Bob Andrzejczak, whose district includes Wildwood, could not be reached for comment Tuesday. If the city receives the money, it would immediately start planning reconstruction.

The city will continue its efforts to obtain money for reconstruction from other sources to alleviate the local taxpayers of this expense, the plan states. Any renovation of the Boardwalk that would enhance the tourism experience, the Greater Wildwood Chamber of Commerce is in favor of, said Tracey DuFault, the organization’s executive director. “If grant money is available out there for that, we are thrilled, thrilled, to have that come our way. It’s much needed,” DuFault said.

The Boardwalk is one of the top reasons people visit the Wildwoods, DuFault said, adding the beach is the No. 1 reason.

“We have very large investments up on the Boardwalk with the Morey organization and the piers and Splash Zone. The Boardwalk comes to life during the summer,” DuFault said. The Boardwalk needs to be taken care of, and DuFault said last week she was waiting for the final draft of the master plan to come to her. Besides spelling out the need for a complete Boardwalk reconstruction, the master plan details what the city has been doing to keep the Boardwalk usable in the meantime, including demolishing and rebuilding two ramps. Over the past three years, the city has bonded about $100,000 annually to fund major repairs, the master plan said.

I hope this passes. The boardwalk is well cared for, but over time that understructure wears out. A lot of states are beginning to realize now after decades of adding new pavement on top of existing highways, that eventually the core crumbles and it has to be replaced entirely. Missouri's been doing that with some of our highways recently.

If they do this right, it should last another hundred years. The plan they have sounds like they're doing it right.

• 2 weeks later...

Moreys has announced their opening dates and Easter festivities, info below. Also, judging by their park hours, Surfside won't open until May 11th weekend (ouch) and Adventure Pier will finally open Memorial Day weekend (wow).

Whether it's tradition that keeps you coming back or our super adorable guests of honor, Mr. and Mrs. Bunny, there is one thing that's for sure. Mariner's Pier in Wildwood, NJ will be bustling with activity from 12pm - 5pm.

https://www.moreyspiers.com/event/easter-celebration/2019-04-21

Easter Sunday celebrations and activities include pictures with the Easter Bunnies from 12:00pm to 4:00pm at the Coca-Cola stage, located in front of the Giant Wheel. Children 12 years of age and younger can pick an Easter egg for a chance to win an assortment of fun prizes, ranging from stuffed animals and Curley’s Fries buckets, to one-day pier passes and water park passes. Two lucky participants will win the grand prize of a Morey’s Piers 2019 Wild Pass.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

12PM: Easter Egg Contest* will be at the front of the pier under the archway in the tent. *While eggs last.

12 PM–4PM: Break out your phone and take your picture with the Easter Bunnies at the Coca-Cola stage in front of the Ferris Wheel.

1–5PM: Strolling Entertainment

Book Breakfast with the Easter Bunny!

Enjoy a breakfast buffet with the Easter Bunny at Jumbo's Grub & Pub on Sunday, April 21. Due to limited availability and seatings, tickets must be pre-purchased in advance. Breakfast is $16.95* for adults, $12.95* for kids 10 and under, and kids 3 and under eat for FREE.

Menu to include scrambled eggs, specialty eggs with onions, red peppers, chives, Cuban Spice and melted Jack Cheese, sausage, pancakes, home fries, mini bagels, smoked salmon, assorted donuts and cereal, coffee, tea, juice and more. Alcohol and gratuity not included.

Reservations will open the week of February 25, 2019.

I get that it’s a much cheaper alternative to bring in more kids with their families, but I would have loved to see that GCI come to fruition. It’d satisfy my layering fetish, for one.

ALSO— worth noting that Runaway Tram is listed as an $4 million investment. White Lightning at Fun Spot Orlando only cost $3.5 million in 2013, which adjusted for inflation is somewhere in the neighborhood of $4 million too. A Gravity Group family wooden coaster would work wonders for this park— plus, they can give it a steel structure like Kentucky Flyer or Twister’s to reduce upkeep costs.

• 2 weeks later...

Jack Morey was on Preston & Steve talkin' bout the piers 50th anniversary this year. Interesting stuff.

https://omny.fm/shows/preston-steve-fun-size-podcast/jack-morey-from-wildwoods-moreys-pier

They ask him about the pier-to-pier coaster and he quickly changes the subject, but does note that there is another coaster and water park attraction coming next, and reiterates that they're "trying" to put in 5 new coasters over the next 10 years.

Also, I love when they ask him about problem rides and he doesn't hesitate to mention Canyon Trip (which was always broke) and then proceeds to talk shit about Chinese rides.

I really hope at least one of those “5 new coasters” end up being something substantial like a Gerstlauer eurofighter, Gravity Group kids wooden coaster or if I’m a dreamer an Intamin triple launcher like Sandy’s Blasting Bronco for Nickelodeon Universe NJ.

I could see a Eurofighter or something similar to Gale Force/the American Dream Intamin due to space constraints. I'd love to see something along the lines of Wacky Taxi @ Moreys, something that is thrilling enough for adults but kids/families can ride. If he's really serious about five of them coming, the pier-to-pier might actually happen because where else are they going to add another substantially sized coaster? Completely random and more-or-less baseless speculation here but I'd imagine whatever coaster is coming next will replace Rollies. That sh*t has got to go.

When can Morey’s actually go through with that GCI, instead of building family creds??

I asked a manager when I was there in 2017. He said the problem with that two pier GCI was that each pier was in a different township and there were issues over the taxes,permiting, ect. I looked up the boundaries and he was right, they are in different townships.