Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

P. 955: Disneyland reopening postponed
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Re: Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:48 pm

^ Well, if this causes them to extend the borders of New Orleans Square...
...won't be very much of a "square" anymore. ;) And good old Critter Country
will be "downsized" a bit. (I do realize that Haunted Mansion already changed that.)

Or, they'll leave it all as is, and this will be a 'bridge' of sorts, between the two lands.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby jjeerr » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:33 pm

oh I'm excited :airtime: ! I love the "look" of the movie, I'm hoping the creative team gets the budget to really capture the animation and mannerisms of all the characters. I wonder if they will use some of the "2d" ideas from Mickey and Minnie's railway.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby JGuy » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:01 pm

I can’t say I’m not disappointed that they’re completely retheming it. I like The Princess and the Frog, but I absolutely love the atmosphere and music for Splash Mountain.
That being said, the new theme will fit perfectly in both New Orleans Square AND Critter Country.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:19 pm

It’s a win win for Disney. Cheaper to overlay a ride instead of whatever new projects are on the books and ends the “social” controversy as well.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby aueft » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:36 pm

Even outside of the timely racial sensitivities, this is obviously a good branding move for the park. However, I'm sort of against the change as I suspect that placing a Princess and the Frog overlay on Splash Mountain is going to result in a worse ride.

Part of it is the theme. In order to better align with the princess branding, the designers are probably going to want this ride to be as toothless and as non-threatening as possible. And given that this is one of Disney's thrill rides, I worry that the ride is going to end up feeling conflicted and weird.

The other part of this is also purely speculative, but I wonder if Splash Mountain is an absolute bear to maintain with the ridiculous number of animatronics in splashy water proximity. I am worried that they are going to remove most of the animatronics as a matter of practicality and use mostly screens with only a smattering of new animatronics, which I personally wouldn't find as interesting as the overabundance of animatronics that the ride currently has.

Anyhow, those are my dumb thoughts on this.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby RideWoodenCoasters » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:27 am

I do have faith that the Imagineers will deliver...eventually. Watch the excellent TPR POV of MMRR to see what they can do with constraints. No doubt the budget will be lower now, and it will take a while,

Don't worry about the ride having an edge...if there's one thing Disney rarely avoids, it's an edge.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!