Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

P. 928 - Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Media Preview!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Re: Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

Postby Jew » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:10 pm

ryder wrote:I don't know if it's credible, but one twitter account was claiming that after that opening weekend, they are now taking text reservations for the Cantina. If true, it'd be like a restaurant: you check in, given them your number, and when they're ready to seat you, you get a text. That way you're free to enjoy other shopping and whatnot instead of wasting your time in that line.

If it's not true, it ought to be. :) If others visit in the near future, confirmation would be welcome. I'd also appreciate confirmation if they're allowing multiple rides on SR, or instead marking your wristband and only allowing one ride.

That is true, but they only take a limited amount of parties per timeslot. I had to wait 15 min in line to get added, then it was 2 hours before I got my text to return. And this was the first thing I did in the land for my 8am-12pm timeslot yesterday.
I was told that they stopped taking reservations somewhere between 8:30 and 9:00am that morning.

You will absolutely need to head straight for the cantina to get your spot.

Lightsaber experience was full by 8:30am that morning too.

So you’re picking your priority. I don’t see that ever changing.
Last edited by Jew on Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:12 pm.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby ryder » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:56 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:So texting a reservation to stand in a bar? Well ok, if that's what you want to do.

I mean, I'd rather be texted and do other things to stand in the bar, rather than stand in line for 2+ hours only to stand MORE in the bar, so...

Postby Jew » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:30 pm

Keep in mind this is somewhat historic: the only place us “normal” folk can drink at Disneyland. DJ Rex is also my new favorite thing at Disneyland.

That being said, Disney made a huge error in underestimating the popularity of it. Max capacity can’t be more than 150-200, and you certainly aren’t leaving immediately after getting your drinks. I can’t foresee it ever going away from some sort of reservation system.

Side note: I do hope this is the beginning of the end for no alcohol in Disneyland. Tradition is holding the park back. Walt’s dead and the world has changed a whole lot since his view of “family friendly” was envisioned.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Satans Hockey » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:23 pm

Jew wrote:Keep in mind this is somewhat historic: the only place us “normal” folk can drink at Disneyland. DJ Rex is also my new favorite thing at Disneyland.

That being said, Disney made a huge error in underestimating the popularity of it. Max capacity can’t be more than 150-200, and you certainly aren’t leaving immediately after getting your drinks. I can’t foresee it ever going away from some sort of reservation system.

Side note: I do hope this is the beginning of the end for no alcohol in Disneyland. Tradition is holding the park back. Walt’s dead and the world has changed a whole lot since his view of “family friendly” was envisioned.

I don't care about what Walt originally thought or tradition but holding the park back from what exactly? Sure they would make some more money if the sold alcohol but it's not like they aren't making a ton of money as it is or having poor crowds. Plus if you have a park hopper you can walk right across to California Adventure and find plenty of booze there or take the monorail to downtown Disney and find plenty there too so it's not like the resort is completely alcohol free.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:56 pm

^ Still, it's nice to be a part of an actual historic change in policy for the original park. Disney Park fans will definitely note that. But if the queuing etc for even having one cocktail in the the Cantina is too much...you are right, there are plenty of other options just across the plaza and in the Disney Village, and even in the Disneyland Hotel (Trader Sam's!*). :smile:

*Which I hope we'll be visiting, when we're there, in September, the week after Labor Day weekend/week.

p.s. FYI, you have Disneyland Paris Resort to thank (from what I've known since 1992), for allowing both alcohol into all the Magic Kingdoms (and everywhere else), and male cast members allowing facial hair to be 'worn', whatever the heck that meant., lol. But now you see male cast members everywhere in the Disney Parks World with moustaches and/or beards etc. in all the parks. It's a nice change. And the booze, too.
IMG_9547.JPG
Myself and David in the (then named) Blue Lagoon Restaurant, Disneyland Paris, saluting
their allowance of cocktails (which we got later on) ..... with our water glasses ~ Sept.2002.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby Jew » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:09 pm

Disneyland as a whole is a park stuck very much in the 1950s with its design because people are so tied to “history”, “tradition,” “Walt’s legacy”...blah blah blah.

It’s not just alcohol. It took them until Star Wars to figure out they needed to widen walkways. Main Street is a clusterf*ck for parades and fireworks because the area has far outgrown its intended capacity. It’s time to stop being so hung up on history and Walt’s legacy.

But back to alcohol, I’m well aware of what I can do by drinking in DCA or downtown Disney. Doesn’t mean it isn’t dumb to adhere to a tradition that makes no sense in 2019. I would MUCH prefer to have an alcohol mint julep or dole whip in the park than have to go elsewhere. Plus as a shareholder I want them making every last dollar.
Last edited by Jew on Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:14 pm.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:13 pm

Trader Sam’s (at least in Orlando) operates exactly the same way. They text you when it’s your time and when you go in there’s no guarantee of a seat. We had no issues with that system.

Postby Jew » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:22 pm

coasterbill wrote:Trader Sam’s (at least in Orlando) operates exactly the same way. They text you when it’s your time and when you go in there’s no guarantee of a seat. We had no issues with that system.

Not quite the same since there is no outdoor patio to get the drinks in the land. This is one 150ish capacity bar that almost every visitor to Disneyland wants into. Perhaps it was intentional to make it such a “hot” place to be, but I really can’t fathom why they didn’t think to make the cantina much larger.

I predict we’ll see a resistance camp bar of some sort added to that side of the land when rise of the resistance opens to help offset the capacity of ogas.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby tinaalsgirl » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:13 pm

I don't drink, so it wouldn't bother me too much not to get into the Cantina.... except I totally wanna see DJ Rex in person. Also, does anyone know if they'll release the music from the land on CD or anything? I really, really wanna hear the full versions of the music in the cantina; what I heard in various vlogs was VERY catchy.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:39 am

tinaalsgirl wrote:I don't drink, so it wouldn't bother me too much not to get into the Cantina.... except I totally wanna see DJ Rex in person. Also, does anyone know if they'll release the music from the land on CD or anything? I really, really wanna hear the full versions of the music in the cantina; what I heard in various vlogs was VERY catchy.

Disney is really good at catering to people who don't drink. Their specialty drink list without alcohol is longer than the list of drinks with alcohol and I'm sure these will be super fun looking themed drinks also. They nailed this at Trader Sam's too. I almost ordered one of the non-alcoholic things because I liked the tiki cup that it came in (emphasis on almost, I came to my senses). :lol:

You'll probably have a blast in this place even if you don't drink.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!