TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Official Park Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

February 20, 2005 - Hydra construction photos (SEE BELOW)

November 17th, 2005 - Park to demolish its oldest building- Mansion House Hotel

September 22, 2007 - signs appear for new impulse coaster VooDoo (Steel Venom from Geauga Lake)

May 3rd, 2008 - VooDoo opens

June 3rd, 2008 - Laser is for sale

November 26th, 2009 - Demon Drop arrives at Dorney

January 25th, 2010 - Demon Drop formally announced

July 12th, 2010 - Demon Drop opens

August 25th, 2010 - Planet Snoopy to replace Camp Snoopy in 2011

February 3rd, 2011 - Invertigo moving from California's Great America to Dorney

June 10th, 2011 - Dorney purchases an additional 6.75 acres

September 22nd, 2011 - Dinosaurs Alive announced for 2012

October 15th, 2011 - Stinger (formerly Invertigo) construction update

December 9th, 2011 - Stinger construction update posted!

April 23rd, 2012 - Fast Lane rides announced

September 3rd, 2012 - 'Zombie Invasion II' Halloween event announced!

October 31st, 2014 - Cedar Creek Flyers announced for 2015

July 22nd, 2015 - Christmas in July Toy Drive, July 25-26!

August 18th, 2016 - New rides (Troika and Bumper Cars), show Cirque Imagine) & water park enhancements announced!

August 16th, 2017 - Pre K being introduced at Dorney Park

December 15, 2017 - Stinger is being removed

August 19th, 2019 - Seaside Splashworks water play structure announced!

August 10th, 2023 - Iron Menace announced!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Post

The other day I took the hardhat tour of Hydra (and the rest of Dorney) and took a bunch of construction pictures I thought I'd share. igsmile:

Hydra overall looks fun but really small. I have a feeling people are going to be somewhat let down by this one when they see it in person. To me, it made Batman the Dark Knight look huge...

Take a look for yourself (I have more pictures of Hydra and the rest of Dorney Park in Winter on the Dorney page of my site):

1468110765_DP020405250.jpg.d6a5875af78717f7e23fa3332bbf559d.jpg

Sunset over Steel Force as I was leaving

1482593844_DP020405118.jpg.737fa4657882e6c95a20336f90eeba32.jpg

Nice looking helix

1007039439_DP020405081.jpg.e88b8b23eaf7343767d4a44e939d9078.jpg

The twisted coils

1613741088_DP020405057.jpg.93076a5699323e1ac11d0401414f95e7.jpg

Nice looking air pop over the station!

748932629_DP020405045.jpg.1d0dcdc83ae40bdd610f0824753c26c6.jpg

The "Jojo Roll" (dumbest.name.ever!)

431741255_DP020405004.jpg.846c045e678d14aa08961f76a425827a.jpg

View from the lake

^ I think they just used it as an excuse. Hercules weren't exactly a great coaster, right? :?

When i saw the movie they released in the begining, this thing got me really excited. It looks insane, and very much out of the ordinary, for B&M atleast. However, something about it, and I admit i don't know what, puts me off. Maybe the color scheme? Maybe the weirdness? The world might never know.

Forceless or NOT, its GOING to have fast rotations. To me, thats what really makes or breaks some B&M's is the speed of rotation. And btw, you can have fast rotations without alot of force.

But Im lovin Hydra, it looks like a very cool ride. So far on my recreation (which is comin along pretty close to spec, almost scary how close) its not going to be a super G ride but its not going to be boring either.

The Straight drop looks great and so does the twisted cobra.

Anthony "Doesnt have to pull a bajilion G's to be fun" Harrison

• 3 weeks later...

I personally think Hydra looks awesome, the inclined dive loop seems more like an overbanked turn than an inversion from the pictures though. Since I don't live near Dorney I won't get to ride it, I wish PKI got Hydra instead of Italian Job becuause IJ looks very boring.

Seriously, I hate people who judge coasters on their size! Their are many good rides that aren't even 100 footers! GAWD! You just made me mad... I'm going to eat ice cream until I'm asleap!

I'd choose the 75 foot tall Phoenix over MANY 200+ footers out there in a heartbeat! I think the layout is great and finally a coaster with a straight drop... plus should have some good airtime on the hills. I'm just worried that its going to be like Silver Bullet.. fun but forceless.

Eric

I think the ride looks neat and totally original. It will be fun forceless but WAY better with forces. Judging a rollercoaster by the size is just CRAZY! :shock: Superman at SFMM, is the biggest ride there and dwarfs X and I Love X WAY more than Superman. The tallest coaster on earth isn't so great! :shock:

Kevin "If you like the JoJo roll best about Hydra, go ride Silver Bullet at Knotts" Bujold

• 2 months later...

Interesting for me anyways. Rode Hydra on Friday (awesome ride; by far my favorite floorless compared to Medusa, Knight Flight, Dark Knight and Scream) and saw Paul Reuben @ the park. I first noticed him taking pictures (of Hydra I presume) on top of the Wild Mouse, not that I knew who was up there. They actually closed Wild Mouse for him to climb up the lift stairs with attendants. I then saw him again sitting taking photos. I walked by him a couple of times to make sure it was him. Later saw Dorney Park managers coddling him by Hydra. I thought it was kind of cool seeing him there. I wonder if he told them Hydra was his favorite coaster???

Rich "not stalking the coaster editor" Elie

While I've never read one of his little magazines, whenever I see him on TV or a video, it's always, "This coaster is truly unique, an experience I had never had before: certainly a top-ten ride." I'm sure his little hike up the Wild Mouse lift hill was a top 5 ride!

::said in annoying whining voice:: "It's my number one mouse climb and a truly unique walking experience."

Elissa "I'm surprised he didn't ride a mouse car to the top of the lift...he doesn't seem like the stairs type of person!" Alvey

But that's the thing; if he is such a "celebrity", and his opinion is so important to everyone, how come noone reads Park World? (that's still his magazine, right?) Shouldn't it be available in at least one or two bookstores, or even one of those import magazine stores, that carry every magazine imaginable?

I wanna know how he ended up with that job, he's like the "George Lopez" of the roller coaster - a celebrity, but doesn't really do anything. At least, nothing that anyone pays attention to. Yet everyone knows who he is.

I've actually heard that he's losing more and more popularity. I know that most Six Flags parks won't really work with him anymore since he is so 'demanding' and had gone into restricted areas.

I think it's more one of those things that he's been around for awhile so everyone knows his name. He also goes out of his way to try and get invited to all the events and crap to get his name out.

Elissa "I think his magazine is mostly sent to media and parks...not the public" Alvey