Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

P. 1050: 2020 park and water park additions announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Re: Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Postby Johnlloyd » Wed May 22, 2019 7:28 am

coasterbill wrote:Question for the regulars: Does this park generally close for bad weather? We're thinking of going Saturday (I know the fact that it's a Saturday works in our favor) and we're watching the forecast but I figured I'd check in and see if this was the type of park that would close "for weather" if attendance was low on a crappy day.

Also, how are they about running the rides if it's raining but not storming?

Canada's Wonderland operates quite well in rainy weather and does not close early unless if a downpour is predicted for the whole day (which is extremely unlikely). You should be able to get on most rides on a rainy day, unless if the rain is coming down very hard. Otherwise, you should be okay. In my opinion, rainy days are the best days to visit Canada's Wonderland! :)
Canada's Wonderland is my home park!

Check out my amusement park blog here!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed May 22, 2019 8:07 am

^ Thanks! I guess I'll have to see exactly how much rain is expected on Saturday. I suspect the forecast means they know a thunderstorm will hit but not sure when right now.

coasterbill wrote:Question for the regulars: Does this park generally close for bad weather? We're thinking of going Saturday (I know the fact that it's a Saturday works in our favor) and we're watching the forecast but I figured I'd check in and see if this was the type of park that would close "for weather" if attendance was low on a crappy day.

I'm in the same boat. I'm thinking of going to Canada's Wonderland on Sunday now and doing Waldameer on Saturday. I've visited Waldameer on a day when it was torrentially downpouring on a weekday and I was one of like 10 people in the park, but they stayed open almost all day.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby Married a Canadian » Wed May 22, 2019 10:22 am

Question for the regulars: Does this park generally close for bad weather? We're thinking of going Saturday (I know the fact that it's a Saturday works in our favor) and we're watching the forecast but I figured I'd check in and see if this was the type of park that would close "for weather" if attendance was low on a crappy day.

Second what JohnLloyd said, rain doesn't usually halt operations. The only thing that will is if there is a thunderstorm with a lot of lightning, but of course that is the same anywhere!
I will say that they get a bit "antsy" in very high winds (they did a LOT of testing for Yukon Striker on season preview night) but again that is not something that would be considered unusual, and although it was a gusty evening that night...the three "big" ones (Behemoth, Leviathan and Yukon) were all running fine.
Forecast is mixed for Saturday....but to be fair to the weather guys...it is really tough predicting weather around the great lake region......hopefully you will get lucky and the current outlook will peter out. Temperature looks OK.

Hope you have a good visit.
If you are looking for Craft beer in the city Coasterbill, "Liberty Village" is a popular area FILLED with craft pubs and microbrewers, just west of the downtown. I think there was a poster a couple of pages back that had beer suggestions also (possibly worked for a micro brewer!?) I have not yet tried the new brews at the park yet this year....will be interested to hear your opinion.
Top Rides:
1 X2 2 Tatsu 3 Twisted Timbers 4 Apollo's Chariot 5 Skyrush 6 Maverick 7 Iron Rattler 8 Leviathan (front row) 9 Phantom's Revenge 10 Millennium Force 11 Manta 12 Saw The ride 13 Mako

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby BitterOldHag » Wed May 22, 2019 10:55 am

This has nothing to do with Wonderland, but I thought I'd throw it out to Coasterbill. If you have time and are in the area for a bit (and of course the weather is okay), Centreville Amusement Park on the Toronto Islands features a chairlift-style Sky Ride that allegedly lasts 16 minutes and offers views of the park and the Toronto skyline. The park also has an indoor Scrambler, a small-ish flume, and a classic dark ride. http://www.centreisland.ca/centreville/rides-attraction.html

I too am hoping the weather holds up for Saturday as I planned on going to Centreville that morning. If not, I think I'll go check out the Haunted Houses on Clifton Hill in Niagara... :)

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby rollin_n_coastin » Wed May 22, 2019 11:04 am

I wouldn't worry about the weather. Storms and rain generally clear up at some point. I don't remember the park closing due to weather during the regular season. Usually, everyone just waits out heavy rain or storms while they pass through. The only time the park has closed early on me was during an October Haunt day, where a wet snow squall made it difficult to enjoy. Even then, I assume the park closed due to very low attendance that evening more so than the weather. Guests received a voucher to return another day.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby thepoint4life23 » Wed May 22, 2019 11:55 am

I have a question about the Halloween event. I am looking to finally make it to the park in October. The hours listed on the website show 10-5. I know Kings Island and Cedar point do a one ticket all day, but this looks like park closes then open it back up for hunt. I would take it if you got fast lane its only for the one part of the day you go? Any help or tips would be great.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/5749463e4331775e371e68621c381f92.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby rollin_n_coastin » Wed May 22, 2019 12:25 pm

thepoint4life23 wrote:I have a question about the Halloween event. I am looking to finally make it to the park in October. The hours listed on the website show 10-5. I know Kings Island and Cedar point do a one ticket all day, but this looks like park closes then open it back up for hunt. I would take it if you got fast lane its only for the one part of the day you go? Any help or tips would be great.

That is correct. Haunt has its own version of Fast Lane and Fast Lane Plus, either for the mazes and/ or the rides. Haunt is a distinct event from the regular park day so if coming for Haunt, you would need to pay again for parking as well if you leave. If you're already at the park, you can opt to stay for the dinner packages they offer in between the end of the regular day and the start of Haunt. This is based on past Haunts, so definitely keep an eye out for when 2019's event information is posted for the latest and greatest.

During the day, you can always choose to buy Fast Lane after getting into the park and seeing how busy it is first, to judge if you'll really need it.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby thepoint4life23 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:48 pm

Do Plat pass also work for Haunt?
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/5749463e4331775e371e68621c381f92.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby rollin_n_coastin » Wed May 22, 2019 12:50 pm

thepoint4life23 wrote:Do Plat pass also work for Haunt?

No, it's a separate event.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Johnlloyd » Wed May 22, 2019 12:55 pm

rollin_n_coastin wrote:
thepoint4life23 wrote:Do Plat pass also work for Haunt?

No, it's a separate event.

Actually, the Gold and Platinum Passes do allow guests to visit Halloween Haunt an unlimited amount of times. Take a look at the benefits of the season passes in the link provided. :)
Canada's Wonderland is my home park!

Check out my amusement park blog here!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!