Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

P. 1050: 2020 park and water park additions announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 16 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Re: Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Postby Invertalon » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:33 am

I want to know why B&M felt the need to do that weird transition on the dip before the lift. It's so awkward and a weird pet peeve of mine on Valravn. Now, they threw it on this one, too. Copy/mirror/paste, perhaps? ha

Yukon Striker looks cool and all, but as mentioned prior, the vest restrains absolutely suck on dive coasters. Valravn is just so "meh" to me, compared to even say Sheikra (likely due to restraints) that it just burns up any excitement i'd have for this one.
-Steve

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Johnlloyd » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:25 am

Canada's Wonderland's 2019 park map has been released! Check it out below or view in a PDF file by clicking here.

It is important to note that the park brought back the Grande World Exposition of 1890 section and some original ride and attraction names in Medieval Faire, as previously mentioned. The 2019 season sure is going to be an exciting one for many reasons! :)

cw-2019---park-map-page-001.jpg
Canada's Wonderland is my home park!

Check out my amusement park blog here!

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby SbSteveZ » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:43 am

It seems like the enthusiast community is taking vest restraints and using them as justification for knocking this ride and others like it. If the rides were really that bad, then Valravn would not be still getting 90-120 minute lines two years after it opened, Wonderland would certainly not be opening a coaster like this one and there would be no more vest restraints. Plain and simple. It’s not like these restraints are pushing so hard that they’re breaking bones and knocking people unconscious. You may not be getting as much hang time on the drop as the two other dives in North America, but to most everyone who rides these things? They could care less.

Yes, Griffon’s drop is awesome. But I’ll take vest restraints and big ole handlebars over head banging over the shoulder restraints any day of the week. There’s a reason companies are leaning toward these new styles, they make for an overall better experience for the vast majority of folks.

I’m sorry if you don’t get the best top of the line experience you want on dive machines because you don’t like how they keep you where you’re supposed to be, but if you really don’t want to ride it, or have no interest in riding it, then what’s the point in wasting your own time bashing it? FWIW the other two coasters that don’t have vest restraints are still open and doing fine - and exist in well worthy parks! The less folks in line to ride Yukon Striker and Valravn for that matter, the better for me and others who are glad to see a new coaster at the parks and want to ride them!

/end rant
Last Coaster: Jack Rabbit @ Kennywood
130TH COASTER: Goliath @ Great America
RIDE ON

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Intamin_coyote » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:50 am

^ :nina:

I've heard some enthusiasts at this point condescendingly call dive machines "GP magnets". To which, words cannot describe how jaded that sounds.

Vest restraints shmest restraints. As far as I'm concerned, YS should be awesome.

A 245 ft drop at 90 degrees?

That sounds utterly insane.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:53 am

I won't bash anyone for their opinion since different people with different body types react differently to different restraints but personally I don't care at all. Regular restraints are great. Vest restraints are great. Whatever, I don't care. Neither of them bother me.

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby WolfBobs » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:59 am

I actually prefer the vest restraints as well. But either or wouldn't bother me.

Not to overlook Yukon Striker and 2019, but looking at the updated map I just can't help but think how much of an improvement a B&M wing or invert would be in the spot of Flight Deck and Time Warp. Sigh. lol

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby ThemeParkJunkie51290 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:48 am

I'm not driving all the way from Alabama worrying about vest restraints . . . my concern is riding Yukon Striker and experiencing a vertical loop on a dive coaster! =) =) =) I've ridden SheiKra, as well as Griffon, and I must say both coasters were fantastic. I'm sure Yukon Striker is going to provide me with the same adrenaline rush if not better! :b :b :b
ROLLER COASTERS FEAR ME BECAUSE I SHOW NO MERCY!

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby Sledgehammer_77 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:21 am

I was hoping there would be better food options other than the same ol' chicken tenders, burgers and funnel cakes along with the generic "International Plates".

If KD, Carrowinds,Knott's and CP can up their food game it strikes me a bit odd that CW is stuck in the early 2000's.
1. Steel Vengance 2. Maverick 3. Behemoth 4. Leviathan 5. Millennium Force

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:29 am

I agree about the vest restraints. While I do believe the dive coasters are better without them, I don’t think they make the ride “bad.” I enjoyed Valravn much more than I thought I would and hope to experience Yukon Striker someday too.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:43 am

SbSteveZ wrote:It seems like the enthusiast community is taking vest restraints and using them as justification for knocking this ride and others like it. If the rides were really that bad, then Valravn would not be still getting 90-120 minute lines two years after it opened, Wonderland would certainly not be opening a coaster like this one and there would be no more vest restraints. Plain and simple. It’s not like these restraints are pushing so hard that they’re breaking bones and knocking people unconscious. You may not be getting as much hang time on the drop as the two other dives in North America, but to most everyone who rides these things? They could care less.

Yes, Griffon’s drop is awesome. But I’ll take vest restraints and big ole handlebars over head banging over the shoulder restraints any day of the week. There’s a reason companies are leaning toward these new styles, they make for an overall better experience for the vast majority of folks.

I’m sorry if you don’t get the best top of the line experience you want on dive machines because you don’t like how they keep you where you’re supposed to be, but if you really don’t want to ride it, or have no interest in riding it, then what’s the point in wasting your own time bashing it? FWIW the other two coasters that don’t have vest restraints are still open and doing fine - and exist in well worthy parks! The less folks in line to ride Yukon Striker and Valravn for that matter, the better for me and others who are glad to see a new coaster at the parks and want to ride them!

/end rant

There are still so many people talking about the dislike for the vests years after they have been introduced it's not an excuse, it's because they do provide a less comfortable experience for some people. Some parks have fixed/made it better than others but when your chest is being hugged so tight your breathing is shortened, it really sucks and is a big distraction from the ride experience.

Valravn is still a new ride and pulls in that wait because Cedar Point is a popular destination park and the ride is right at the front of the park looming over the midway inviting you to come ride. There are only a handful of rides at CP that get 30 minute or less waits on busy days. Wonderland getting this dive coaster has nothing to do with what people think about the vests. It's a record breaking coaster that's a massive visual spectacle. Just because people complain about one aspect of the ride doesn't mean it's a shit coaster or unworthy of being invested in. Hasn't B&M said that these new restraints have been implemented because of the slow inversions?

Are you insinuating that there's headbanging on Griffon or Sheikra or other dive coasters with the old OTSR? :lol:
{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!