TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Wiener Prater Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about all the news on Wiener Prater, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion.

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

July 22nd, 2007 - New thrill ride "Tornado" installed at Wiener Prater

August 5th, 2007 - New trains with lapbars debut on Boomerang

August 6th, 2007 - New Boomerang train pictures posted

August 9th, 2007 - More Boomerang train details revealed

April 27th, 2010 - Completed StarFlyer photo now online!

May 13th, 2010 - StarFlyer now open! Photos online!

June 7th, 2010 - StarFlyer Point of View video now online!

June 8th, 2010 - StarFlyer photo report posted

June 9th, 2010 - Additional StarFlyer Point of View video

September 26th, 2010 - Guinness Book of World Records names Prater Turm "tallest swing carousel"

October 23rd, 2010 - Accident on Flying Coaster

February, 2012 - Info on the PraterCard

March 12th, 2016 - Olympia Looping will run at Wiener Prater until early September

My homepark Prater in Vienna recently got a new attraction - the Tornado.

I'm not sure if it's another prototype of the austrian company funtime, but i've never seen a ride like that, so i thought i'd share.

Basically it's a swingride, but due to the suspension being excentered itself the "gondola" performs a strange curve.

The four across seats are hung up on steel wires and are also rotating via mounted motors - no free rotation. Guess the operator can choose different ride programs here.

All in all the ride looks fun and according to the screams of the riders it should be. I didn't ride it today, so i can't tell any further on the ride experience by now.

On to some photos...

tornado_01.jpg.66cbd15e1e070a332b4bd9d535cbbd9b.jpg

Starting the ride cycle. The seats are in upright position.

end.jpg.c7f03cbd916dcf3c9542ce9387635719.jpg

And as TPR seems to like boobs shown in parks i'll end this post with this picture - greetings from Austria :-)

clown.jpg.b674159fb8193f83dfd4a441f9d88e08.jpg

I liked this shot - somehow reminds me of the stephen king movie with the clown, which name i can't remember now.

plaza.jpg.dd0bedc267125b955d8c248024ce3904.jpg

Had to post some general park photos - the central plaza by night seen here.

tornado_06.jpg.28b478e47ce4605d3c8f0109199806e9.jpg

Overview of the slim looking ride.

tornado_05.jpg.bc0e30ce4880510353bd7fafb033dfee.jpg

Closeup of the suspension - rotation axis is excentered.

tornado_04.jpg.06a780e20bf6928348bb27d1ef8b3bca.jpg

Different angle.

tornado_02.jpg.ee1d6c483bb30847f3c440d246c2de47.jpg

Seats have started rotating in this picture.

tornado_03.jpg.ae1a3398fd621d18f27fc36b3ed84cba.jpg

Empty swing.

Edited by larrygator

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked this shot - somehow reminds me of the stephen king movie with the clown, which name i can't remember now.

Its called 'It'

Nice pictures! The new ride looks very weird! I also see that they have repainted Boomerang.

Well the chairs are not overturning the arrow, they just swing.

But the riders are inverted by the seats rotating themselves. There are motors attached to the end of the holding lines that rotate the whole gondola and invert it.

And if you think of the most part of the visible supports in the pictures are cables for the motors and the lights, you can think of how thin the supporting steel cables are.

You can see more pictures here, but no video.

http://www.prater.at/News.php?NewsId=775584

What the hell is that ?

And is it safe to build a ride with an intentional "lightning strike" design instead of straight beams ?

I look forward to a video...someone will film it someday.

Well the chairs are not overturning the arrow, they just swing.

But the riders are inverted by the seats rotating themselves. There are motors attached to the end of the holding lines that rotate the whole gondola and invert it.

And if you think of the most part of the visible supports in the pictures are cables for the motors and the lights, you can think of how thin the supporting steel cables are.

You can see more pictures here, but no video.

http://www.prater.at/News.php?NewsId=775584

Wow I didn't knew the seats itself also inverted. I tought it was just a giant swing.

Darn now I feel bad for not doing this ride

• 2 weeks later...

Probably the first Vekoma that makes inversions with only lapbars. Some pictures can be found here : http://freizeitparkweb.de/cgi-bin/dcf/d ... DCForumID4

I think it looks really good, and the guy who tried the new train says it's very comfortable. This new type of trains (which I hope we'll see on other Vekomas) is made by the german manufacturer SAT-Rides.

Edited by larrygator

Ah... I saw a photo of it last night and was just told some German group made the train. But the guy I talked to didnt know who made them.

I think they look cool but also like they need some padding.. But from what I was told you have a bit of room between you and the bar itself so its not that bad.

Canobie "I sooo have that Boomerang credit" Fan

I wouldn't mind a lack of padding, but that bar is so narrow that any pressure against it isn't going to be distributed at all, and will be sharp bruising pain rather than firm pressure.

Everything looping lapbars should be B&M clamshell restrains IMO.