TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Video Posted to TPR - Steeplechase/Wacky Soap Box!

Hey everyone,

A couple of weeks ago I got some archival footage of Knott's Berry Farm's now defunct "Wacky Soap Box Racers" and decided it would be a cool idea to do a side by side comparison of this ride and Blackpool Pleasure Beach's Steeplechase.

Since these were the ONLY two rides of this type that Arrow designed, it gives you a really good idea of what these two rides were like. I've been on both of them (technically all three if you count that Wacky Box was once the Motorcycle Chase) and I can tell you they are both VERY similar.

You can download the video by clicking the link below. Please post your questions or comments about it here!

http://www.themeparkreview.com/videos/video.shtml

--Robb

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird. I downloaded it and it was corrupted!

I'm uploading it again now...give me 5 minutes!

--Robb "We're sorry, but the Steeplechase/Wacky Soap Box video is temporarily closed due to technical difficulties. If you wish to continue to wait, you may do so, or you may exit the area the same way you came in. Thank you very much!" Alvey

Hey Robb, I really, really enjoyed the video! I was a ride op on Wacky Box back in the early 80's and it was great to be able to remember back. It's too bad that they didn't have footage of the day that the Sumo Wrestlers came through the park and rode Wacky Box. That was a sight to see! :shocked:

^ When did you work there? at least you got to work on a somewhat 'classic' ride.

It always seemed as though every time I would go to Knott's, something else on the theming would be broken.

The steam tunnel used to work, the fireworks in the final turn would work, the announcer dog would work, the water spray from the wave & surfboard, the doors at the end would work, etc.

The last two years, NONE of the stuff worked!

It was a really, REALLY good ride. I'm so bummed that Knott's took it out for WINDJAMMER!!!! :shock:

While I certainly wouldn't trade back in XLR8R to have it again, since XLR8R is a really good ride, I would definitly trade in Silver Bullet! IMO, Wacky Box was a much better ride than SB!

--Robb "Who nearly fell alseep riding Silver Bullet!" Alvey

^ LOL! Good catch! It actually comes from the video game "Katamari Damacy."

It was a hard call on what kind of music to put to this video, since it's not like most of our other "Theme Park Review" videos. I needed to be more 'background music' than anything else.

We think it works, although it is 'funky'

--robb

^ When did you work there? at least you got to work on a somewhat 'classic' ride.

I worked Wacky Box during the summer of 1981. I haven't been back to Knott's in over 20 years, but I was really kind of brokenhearted when I heard that they taken out Wacky Box. That summer provided some of the best memories of my life.

I also worked that little theater in Fiesta Village. I can't remember the name of the theater, but it had a 180 degree screen (kinda like an early version of IMAX).

I also worked that little theater in Fiesta Village. I can't remember the name of the theater, but it had a 180 degree screen (kinda like an early version of IMAX).

Ahh, the Cinema 180. I remember going in there several times. They used to show videos of roller coasters!

It used to sit out in the middle of the lake, kind of....of course now, there is no lake there anymore. =(

--Robb

Yep, that's the place. I used to stand outside the theater giving the spiel to get people in line, then I'd go in and emcee the start of the show.

You know, I guess most people prefer the bigger and badder coasters (and other attractions) of today, but, for me at least, it's such a shame that some really cool rides (like Wacky Box) and theming (like the lake) are sacrificed for "progress". It's really nice that occasionally a great site like yours can provide a link to the past for the younger generations. Keep up the Great Work!

• 1 month later...