Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1486: All Parks Reopening June 5!!!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby Garet » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:30 am

Did I miss something? People on Twitter seem to be celebrating F&F being closed as a permanent thing. I get that the majority who have ridden it think it's garbage but it seems a big leap to think it's going away.

Unless they're celebrating the temporary closure which also seems weird to me, I'd have thought you'd want the rides you think are garbage to be open to draw crowds away from the lines of the rides you do want to ride.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:45 am

Garet wrote:Unless they're celebrating the temporary closure which also seems weird to me, I'd have thought you'd want the rides you think are garbage to be open to draw crowds away from the lines of the rides you do want to ride.

I pretty much feel the same way but I'm also incredibly entertained that they closed it for budget despite the fact that it's a brand new ride with a huge IP behind it because it's just hilarious. I'm glad they realize it's terrible.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby thepoint4life23 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:09 am

They could just retheme it to the last 5 minutes of the first movie and it would make it much better. But it's all about Famly
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/5749463e4331775e371e68621c381f92.jpg[/img][/url]

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:03 pm

It’s illogical to think they might scrap it and start over after 2 years of operation.

...but I sure hope they do.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:42 am

coasterbill wrote:I pretty much feel the same way but I'm also incredibly entertained that they closed it for budget despite the fact that it's a brand new ride with a huge IP behind it because it's just hilarious. I'm glad they realize it's terrible.

They likely closed it partially due to its reliance on live performances to actually make sense. With the Hollywood version, they can tack it onto the end of the Studio Tour, whatever. But to make that "whatever" work as a standalone experience, they have to either A) create an extended ride film or B) have a great big old exposition dump before you board. They took option B and designed the ride's pre-show experience based on a gaggle of people surrounding a live performance actor. The pre-show is LONG and necessary to "get" the ride, so it probably isn't the safest place for people to be right now, even with COVID safety procedures. The Orlando parks in general have been cutting live performances / shows all over the place.

At least with the Hollywood version, the tour driver can be at least somewhat isolated from other guests, but here, they can't be unless they decide to put the pre-show actor in a snow globe.

There are people I know who are insanely proud of the work they did on that ride, on both coasts.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Follow me on Instagram for perfectly adequate theme park photos!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby Chiselphane » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:55 am

DBru wrote:It’s illogical to think they might scrap it and start over after 2 years of operation.

...but I sure hope they do.

Agreed. I can't believe how awful it is. Embarrassing almost. I will admit the gift shop is neat, I know how that sounds but it has a lot of stuff you dont see much of in a theme park, and my youngest son really likes toy cars and such.

Postby coasterbill » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:24 am

I just feel like the ride started with a stupid premise that would make it suck no matter what they did (everyone getting on a Fast and the Furious ride probably expects to be going on a thrilling ride in a fast car, not riding in a party bus watching other people drive fast cars) but even aside from that, nothing was executed well. The only compliments that I ever hear about the ride are that the queue and gift shop are nice or that it does a great job keeping people out of the lines for rides that are actually good.

If they cloned a cheap Cedar Fair Backlot Stunt Coaster and didn't even bother to plus the effects at all it would arguably be a better Fast and the Furious ride than the piece of shit that they have now.
Last edited by coasterbill on Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:27 am.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby mikeykaise » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:20 am

^ I agree, when I hear Fast and Furious ride it makes you expect something fast and fun like a roller coaster not a ride through drive in.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:11 am

I took a bunch of 5th graders on it opening week and they were ALL disappointed. It was always a disaster (even worse than the Disaster ride it replaced). If you like the franchise, you're mad that they didn't give it a better ride and if you don't like the franchise you hate it because it's a crap ride. I'm really happy about Velocicoaster because after Fallon and Fast and Furious I can't take more crap!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:16 am

I intentionally skipped Fast and the Furious on my recent visits since I was underwhelmed by the Hollywood version and I heard the Florida one was somehow worse.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Outlaw Run
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Hersheypark & Six Flags Great Adventure

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!