Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1467: "Halloween Marathon of Mayhem" HHN show announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby cfc » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:23 am

Chiselphane wrote:
robbalvey wrote:
TurnOfTheCentury wrote:The rumor is that the lands will be Nintendo, Classic Monsters, Fantastic Beasts and How to Train Your Dragon (who knows why), with at least two more expansion pads. I think the idea of having a huge hub which each land being its own contained area that dead ends (you don't connect between the lands) is somewhat interesting and *maybe* makes things more immersive. I also read somewhere that the coaster will not be "dueling."

Is Fantastic Beasts really that popular? I feel like most people I know who are Potter fans are quite “meh” on those films. I don’t see that franchise being “theme park land worthy” in any way.

I am a pretty big fan of the IP and the first film was OK at best, and I didn't even bother with the 2nd. Meh is the perfect word for it. But they're pulling in a lot of money so somebody's watching them, the 2nd film came in 400 million over budget. I totally agree that there isn't land worthiness to them, there's nothing iconic at all to reference. The concept art looks like old time New York for the outdoor areas, which I guess has some potential but it's not all that original, right? Like Diagon Alley - instant recognition and they translated it pretty much perfectly. Nothing in FB has that punch.

I "waited for video" after the first "Fantastic Beasts" flick came out. I didn't care for it, so I skipped the second one. I imagine they could turn it into a pretty good theme-park attraction, but I am a little tired of Universal's "Pottermania."

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DILinator » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:09 pm

cfc wrote:I imagine they could turn it into a pretty good theme-park attraction, but I am a little tired of Universal's "Pottermania."

Nice to know I'm not the only one who feels this way!

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5.The Voyage 6.Twisted Timbers 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10.Phantom's Revenge Honorable Mentions: Ravine Flyer II Shivering Timbers, Kraken Mako Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby CoasterAuditor » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:19 pm

I don't disagree at all. Three separate "Wizarding Worlds" feels like overkill. That's like if Disney built a Star Wars land at every single park they have.
I'm an accountant that's obsessed with roller coasters
Knoebels > Everywhere

1. El Toro 2. Intimidator 305 3. Phoenix 4. Millennium Force 5. New Texas Giant

118 Coasters
16 Parks

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Mustangman55 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:19 pm

robbalvey wrote:
TurnOfTheCentury wrote:The rumor is that the lands will be Nintendo, Classic Monsters, Fantastic Beasts and How to Train Your Dragon (who knows why), with at least two more expansion pads. I think the idea of having a huge hub which each land being its own contained area that dead ends (you don't connect between the lands) is somewhat interesting and *maybe* makes things more immersive. I also read somewhere that the coaster will not be "dueling."

Is Fantastic Beasts really that popular? I feel like most people I know who are Potter fans are quite “meh” on those films. I don’t see that franchise being “theme park land worthy” in any way.

Definitely not theme park worthy. Especially at the moment.

The thing about Fantastic beasts is that we still have three films to go. The first was received okay and the 2nd pretty badly to meh by fans(from my personal experience). So we have no idea if the next three films will leave any kind of legacy that would warrant huge attractions imo.

Although I could see a ride or small area based solely on the beasts that would be lovely for the kids.

Edit: it’s worth noting I am a grumpy old Harry Potter fan that is old school and set in my ways :lmao: . So my opinion may be out of touch with the actual consensus.

I'd like to buy a vowel!

Postby KBrylczyk » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:32 pm

Potter may be way overplayed at this point, but if there's one thing Universal is known for then it's beating a dead horse until it stops printing money.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/539c3534a7c7084b61a754366e69a2bf.jpg[/img][/url]

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:49 pm

The Harry Potter franchise will continue to remain popular so long as 90s' born people continue to watch the Freeform television network.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:27 pm

As long as they make a quality attraction, I'm sure I'd love it regardless of the theme. For example, I hate the Mummy and Transformers films, but I like the rides based on them at Universal.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Arnolds Park & Nickelodeon Universe/Mall of America

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:09 pm

The Universal Orlando Resort has announced two more Halloween Horror Nights houses for this year's event!

The reality unearthed in Universal Pictures’ global horror film blockbuster, Us, from visionary Academy Award®-winning filmmaker Jordan Peele, becomes perilously tethered to Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort in all-new terrifying “Halloween Horror Nights” mazes, debuting this September.

Featuring the unnerving labyrinth of underground tunnels that stretch from coast to coast below America, to the disorienting and the ominous uprising of “The Tethered”— doppelgängers of every living man, woman and child in the country—the “Us” maze will place guests at the heart of this living nightmare where they quickly realize they are their own worst enemy.

The journey begins circa 1986 as guests follow in the footsteps of the young girl they first meet as Adelaide Wilson as she innocently ventures through a mirror funhouse at the Santa Cruz boardwalk and has a fateful and traumatic encounter with her tethered doppelgänger, an event that will forever alter both of their lives. The harrowing experience will then transition to present day, thrusting guests into the chaos of “The Tethered” uprising as they emerge from their tunnels to murder their privileged doubles in a nationwide coordinated act of rebellion.

"It's very exciting to know that fans of Us will get to experience firsthand the terror of being stalked and tormented by ‘The Tethered.’ It’s been a lifelong ambition of mine to create a monster that would scare people on Halloween, so having ‘The Tethered’ join such esteemed company is a dream come true,” said Jordan Peele.

“Jordan Peele has put his indelible stamp on a new genre of psychological horror films with the Academy Award®-winning movie, Get Out and the critically-acclaimed film, Us,” said John Murdy, Executive Producer, “Halloween Horror Nights,” Universal Studios Hollywood. “And, it’s an honor to have the opportunity to work with him and his talented team to bring his unique vision for Us to life as a ‘living horror movie’ as part of ‘Halloween Horror Nights.’”

“The idea that ‘we are our own worst enemy’ and the visuals around that notion are what made the story of Us so compelling, personal and exciting for our design team to translate,” said Michael Aiello, Sr. Director of Entertainment Creative for Universal Orlando Resort. “Surrounding our guests in that horrific world of duality Jordan Peele created is a perfect fit for Universal’s ‘Halloween Horror Nights.’”

Universal Studios’ “Halloween Horror Nights” is the ultimate Halloween event. For more than 25 years, guests from around the world have visited “Halloween Horror Nights” to become victims within their own horror film. Multiple movie-quality mazes based on iconic horror television shows, films and original stories come to life season after season. And, the streets of each park’s event are transformed into highly-themed scare zones where menacing scare-actors lunge from every darkened corner.

“Halloween Horror Nights” begins Friday, September 6 in Orlando and on Friday, September 13 in Hollywood. Additional details about the events will be revealed soon. All tickets for Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort are on sale now. For more information about “Halloween Horror Nights” at Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort, visit http://www.HalloweenHorrorNights.com.

Us Maze is coming to Universal Studios' Halloween Horror Nights 2019.jpg

https://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/graveyard-games-at-hhn-2019/

Graveyard-Games-Coming-to-Halloween-Horror-Nights-1440x900.jpg

Do cemeteries give you the willies? Then this one will give you nightmares. Graveyard Games is the next haunted house to join the line-up at this year’s Halloween Horror Nights.

In the Ascension Parish Cemetery, it’s normal to find teens playing amongst the tombstones. You’ll find yourself witnessing the repercussions of the disrespectful antics of two teens who have awakened the spirits of the dead. As you roam through the cemetery, you’ll wind through dark mausoleums and decaying piles of coffins.

Ghosts of every shape and form will rise from the tombstones to exact their revenge as you try to escape the maze of crumbling tombstones and mausoleums. Skeletal beings, ghastly apparitions and vengeful spirits will try to drag you to the grave. And in the end, you’ll find out what happened to those who set out to deface the cemetery.

Before you enter the haunted house, take the opportunity to chat with a few of the local teens and storytellers of the town. All you need is your phone and open Facebook Messenger to the Halloween Horror Nights page. Here you’ll learn the history and spooky legends the cemetery keeps. Better to be prepared for what awaits than finding yourself coming to a “dead” end.

It’s getting spooky up in here! The gates of Halloween Horror Nights open Sept. 6 – Nov. 2 with haunted houses, scare zones, shows and more.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:26 pm

Interesting read about Universal's desire to have a stop on the high speed rail line that is being built in Florida.

https://archpaper.com/2019/08/universal-orlando-theme-park-transit-oriented/

The new Universal Orlando theme park will be a transit-oriented good time
By Audrey Wachs (@gridwachs) • August 8, 2019

Central Florida entertainment complex Universal Orlando is building a transit-oriented theme park. The company announced that its land of fun—the U.S.’s first big amusement park since 2001—is hoping to link up with local passenger rail service Virgin Trains to ferry customers to and from Miami.

Virgin Trains (formerly known as the Brightline) is a privately owned transit company that began providing high-speed rail service between Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and West Palm Beach in 2018. It would link to the park via a stop at Orange County Convention Center, which is steps away from the proposed main entrance to Epic Universe. Universal Orlando has been lobbying the company to provide a connection to the new park.

Universal Parks and Resorts CEO Tom Williams told Next Miami that his company will push “with every bit of strength that we’ve got” for the rail connection.

Outside of its possible amusement park involvement, the south Florida train company is on a major growth spurt. There are plans for a Tampa, Florida expansion, and by 2022, Orlando Airport–bound passengers will be able to travel directly from Miami. There should also be service to Orlando’s Walt Disney World soon: construction on a Disney train station began in May.

Conde Nast Traveler reported that the 750-acre Epic Universe will boast restaurants, retail, entertainment, and a hotel across four realms, each with their own separate entrance. There’s no word yet on an opening date or the types of attractions that will be contained within its walls, but it’s likely that Nintendo and Harry Potter content will feature prominently.

But that’s okay for all you NUMTOTS—the only thing you need to know is that you won’t need a car to get there.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:58 pm

^ I am (REALLY) hoping they get this (transit connections) all going,
when we make a visit there in.... November, 2024.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!