Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1444 - Hagrid's Motorbike Review!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:42 pm

Xmeister wrote:Truth be told, after watching the POVs I don't think that the new ride would've been worth the effort. I keep hearing on social media about this ride's amazing theming but for the most part it looks as though you go by the theming far too quick to really appreciate it!

Yeah, I don't get all the praise either. Again, I'm not really being negative here because I do think it's a VERY GOOD RIDE, but I don't understand the people who are going on and on about the theming. To me, it has very good "landscaping" if that's what you want to call it. The area where you meander through the trees and the castle ruins (?) is nicely done, but then again, so is this....
cheetah hunt 1.jpg

Which I would probably put most of the "theming" or "landscaping" on Hagrid's somewhere in between (or on par with) Cheetah Hunt and most certainly below Taron. It's good... some of it looks great... but it didn't blow me away to the tune of flying across the country and standing in a ten hour line.

Xmeister wrote:Also they've been referring to this as "the world's first story coaster." How is this more of a "story coaster" than Gringotts? (Of course calling Gringotts a coaster could be a stretch to some.)

Yeah, this one really baffled me. And probably why I was so underwhelmed with the "theming." They kept using all these new terms like "Story Coaster" so I honestly assumed we were going to get some legit "show scenes" like something out of Mummy which is way... WAAAAAAY more of a "story coaster" than Hagrid's. Like, did Universal FORGET that they have another coaster not far away with actual REAL dark ride show scenes even in the middle of the coaster that all help move somewhat of a story along?

Xmeister wrote:The one thing I'll say I'm impressed by is the lack of reliance on screens which is a nice change for Universal.

Yep. 100% agreed. I mean, this is by FAR the best thing the park has installed since probably Mummy, and I actually still prefer Mummy. It has a real STORY with really cool dark ride scenes, a great launch, some AWESOME airtime, and a room that, to this day, still CATCHES ON FIRE!

I honestly do applaud Universal for their effort on this new coaster. It's a fun ride. And absolutely a "do not miss" attraction at the park. But I do NOT think it deserves the insane hype it's been getting.

It will be interesting to see, after this initial hype dies down, and the real truths come out a few years later, if people REALLY prefer this new coaster to Mummy... or are they just being distracted by the new shiny object that FINALLY isn't screen-based!
Last edited by robbalvey on Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:44 pm.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Xmeister » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:16 pm

robbalvey wrote:" They kept using all these new terms like "Story Coaster" so I honestly assumed we were going to get some legit "show scenes" like something out of Mummy which is way... WAAAAAAY more of a "story coaster" than Hagrid's. Like, did Universal FORGET that they have another coaster not far away with actual REAL dark ride show scenes even in the middle of the coaster that all help move somewhat of a story along?

It's probably a good thing the Tom Cruise reboot of The Mummy flopped so hard. If it had been a success it's not hard imagine them deciding to redo Revenge of The Mummy to be themed to the 2017 Mummy film in the way they are changing Jurassic Park into Jurassic World at USH. While we're not sure if Jurassic World will be primarily screen based, I'm not holding my breath. Florida's Revenge of the Mummy is my probably favorite indoor coaster and I'd hate to see those beautiful sets swapped out for more 3D crap and your obligatory water sprays. :|

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:04 am

I'm not really being negative here because I do think it's a VERY GOOD RIDE, but I don't understand the people who are going on and on about the theming.

It seems like some kind of reaction about "screens" since this doesn't have them. Oddly enough, from the same people who say "screens are OK".

Like, did Universal FORGET that they have another coaster not far away with actual REAL dark ride show scenes even in the middle of the coaster that all help move somewhat of a story along?

It isn't Harry Potter, so it doesn't count I guess. Isn't Gringott's on RCDB too? Sure was last I checked.

It will be interesting to see, after this initial hype dies down, and the real truths come out a few years later, if people REALLY prefer this new coaster to Mummy... or are they just being distracted by the new shiny object that FINALLY isn't screen-based!

I've been asking people who actually have been to more than 5 parks what they thought if they went and there's a lot of "This isn't a top 50 coaster", "I'd rather ride Mako", "It's Verbolten with Universal level theming and that's it". This doesn't sound *bad* but it also sounds like it's kinda forceless and meandering with a bunch of pauses to look at animatronics briefly.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:35 am

robbalvey wrote:Yeah, this one really baffled me. And probably why I was so underwhelmed with the "theming." They kept using all these new terms like "Story Coaster" so I honestly assumed we were going to get some legit "show scenes" like something out of Mummy which is way... WAAAAAAY more of a "story coaster" than Hagrid's. Like, did Universal FORGET that they have another coaster not far away with actual REAL dark ride show scenes even in the middle of the coaster that all help move somewhat of a story along?

Perhaps all of the marketing material was drawn up in the way early stages, and sometime between concept and construction, there were budget cuts, just like pretty much every attraction to come out of Disney and Universal in however many years. I'd be willing to bet that the initial design(s) were a lot more ambitious than what currently sits there. But again, that's just kind of what happens in this business, they do the best they can!

Honestly, what's curious to me is how much of the ride's story appears to be telegraphed by narration - Hagrid giving you a play-by-play as you go along. It probably helps with the "blink and you'll miss 'em" show elements, but I'm curious about possible language barriers for international guests.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby dreynolds1982 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:28 am

robbalvey wrote: I actually still prefer Mummy. It has a real STORY with really cool dark ride scenes, a great launch, some AWESOME airtime, and a room that, to this day, still CATCHES ON FIRE!

Yeah I'm with you Rob. I was originally thinking this was going to be more on the par of Mummy. That is, an actual blend of a dark ride and coaster. Mummy is probably one of my all time favorite themed attractions, Universal or otherwise. Aside from the somewhat confusing "this is a movie set, but also actually in Egypt" queue/pre-show story, the ride itself is fantastic. Well themed, well paced, great mix of sets, SFX, coaster elements, etc. This is more of what I envision the GotG coaster at Epcot being like. Hagrid's looks like a blast for sure. A really great ride. But yeah the whole "story coaster" stuff and everything. Not so sure about all that.
Favorite Parks: Carowinds (Home Park), BGW, Any Disney Park, IOA, Family Kingdom (Myrtle Beach Classic!)
Favorite Steel (no order): Apollo's Chariot, Fury 325, Hulk, Mind Bender (SFOG), Space Mt (DL), Afterburn (Carowinds), Volcano
Favorite Wood (no order): Georgia Cyclone, Thunder Road (Carowinds...RIP), Swamp Fox (Family Kingdom), Woodstock Express (Carowinds...no seriously it's awesome), Thunderhead

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:50 am

After I was wowed by the Potter parts of the park in October I sought out the books to pick up where I left off when I was younger and I've had a great time taking a dive into the HP world. Only 1.5 books left to read! I can't wait to visit Universal again I'm really excited with all of the details they are putting into the attractions and Hogsmeade/Diagon Alley for those who have seen the movies and read the books.
{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:32 am

dreynolds1982 wrote:Mummy is probably one of my all time favorite themed attractions, Universal or otherwise. Aside from the somewhat confusing "this is a movie set, but also actually in Egypt" queue/pre-show story, the ride itself is fantastic. Well themed, well paced, great mix of sets, SFX, coaster elements, etc.

I sort of wished they would have done a small update to the Orlando version with what they did in Singapore. Which basically took the Orlando version and stripped out all that silly "movie set" stuff. It is by far the best version of the ride!
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:36 am.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby dreynolds1982 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:10 am

robbalvey wrote:I sort of wished they would have done a small update to the Orlando version with what they did in Singapore. Which basically took the Orlando version and stripped out all that silly "movie set" stuff. It is by far the best version of the ride!

Just watched a POV of that version and yeah, seems like that's how it should have been done from the get go. Though I will say, I secretly love the cheesy fake ending bit in the UO version. It's about as random as can be, but having a ride op get sandblasted into a skeleton is a nice touch ha.
Favorite Parks: Carowinds (Home Park), BGW, Any Disney Park, IOA, Family Kingdom (Myrtle Beach Classic!)
Favorite Steel (no order): Apollo's Chariot, Fury 325, Hulk, Mind Bender (SFOG), Space Mt (DL), Afterburn (Carowinds), Volcano
Favorite Wood (no order): Georgia Cyclone, Thunder Road (Carowinds...RIP), Swamp Fox (Family Kingdom), Woodstock Express (Carowinds...no seriously it's awesome), Thunderhead

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby Shut It Down » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:08 pm

Honestly after reading a lot of these reviews from this site, if Robb gave it an amazing review every person on here would be loving it. Since he didn’t almost everyone is hating on it. He is one opinion!!!! We love his reviews but doesn’t mean you have to agree with him!!! For god sakes have an opinion! You don’t have to agree with him 100% of the time, its ok I promise you will be ok if you don’t agree every time

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Mike240SX » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:37 pm

It's also okay to agree with him.

I have no stake in this fight, since I've never been to Universal (and likely never will), but yeah everything said about this ride sounds objectively "not that great." I don't think anyone is saying it's a "bad" ride, just that it's kinda mediocre, and in light of what it replaced, a disappointment.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 133
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!