Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1444 - Hagrid's Motorbike Review!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 11 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby DirkFunk » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:37 am

robbalvey wrote:
DirkFunk wrote:Avatar, IIRC, didn't run at full capacity for several months after opening.

Oh, it absoultely 100% did. I can tell you that one of my close friends worked on that opening and they ran all four theaters on Flight of Passage and full capacity on boats for River Journey.

I've heard drastically different things about how it performed opening year (and that they've had issues with theaters being down well past that) but ultimately having separate theaters means the attraction can only fully go down if all 4 theaters are non-functional. Hagrid's only has one track.

Star Wars land here in Orlando has been cycling ride vehicles on their attractions since January. When was the first time we saw Hagrid's test?

Two months ago?

I just don't get the indignation about all this. No one is gonna care soon. No one cares about any of the attractions that have a tough time opening over the long run so long as they work consistently. It's when they don't like Dragster or Kingda Ka (or when they still existed, Hypersonic or Shoot The Rapids) where we all relitigate these decisions. Universal is maybe a little less good than Disney at opening stuff. Big whoop. If you don't run a blog as a business that supports you, don't go opening day. And if you do, shouldn't you be getting into the media event anyhow?

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:47 am

EDIT: Never mind. I forgot for a second that I don't actually care.
Last edited by robbalvey on Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:50 am.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:53 am

robbalvey wrote:EDIT: Never mind. I forgot for a second that I don't actually care.

Let's talk about stuff that matters. How do you think Universal Creative is going to get 3D glasses and water sprayers to work with a Blitz coaster? Their innovation in spraying me with water makes me think many of them were classically trained clowns.

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby adeuce02 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:56 am

No sure what you've heard about Flight of Passage but Robb is right all theaters were working on opening day and are actually reliable. The reason they go down the most and stay down because people vomit and it takes quite a bit to clean the vehicles.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby PeoplemoverMatt » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:10 pm

Are people really trying to make excuses for what Universal has done and is still doing right now??

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:33 pm

teacherkim wrote:And to expand on this idea a bit: It's a ride that parents and kids can do together, no matter the kids ages. We are coaster enthusiasts but also Potter fans. I rode Dragons several times and liked it (although I could never "marathon" it because that would make me sick) but when you look at any group of regular suburban moms and dads in their 50's, most of them are not "coaster enthusiasts" and aren't as willing to ride something THEY consider big and intimidating like Dragons. All the Potter rides are now rides that almost anyone can do, so parents and kids can go together instead of mom and dad sitting on a bench waiting for the kids. And several of those parents are fans as well so there is something they can share with their kids. That makes the whole area attractive to the majority of families.

No one is arguing against any of what you just said. In fact, the park NEEDED a ride like Hagrid. The question really is: "Did Dragons really NEED to go for that ride to be built?"

There is an entire huge section adjacent to Hogsmede with a whole bunch of either closed or dying attractions: Sinbad, Poseiden's Fury, and that whole left over Lost Continent marketplace area. Why couldn't the two rides have co-existed similar to what Magic Kingdom is doing with Space Mountain and Tron? Allowing something for both a family audience and thrill-seekers?

What I find interesting about this whole decision though is in the SAME YEAR that Universal removed Dueling Dragons they ran these ads basically saying "Come to Universal... we have 'bigger kids' rides..." focusing more on thrills and basically "making fun" of more kiddie rides like what they have a Disney.

So which is it? Are you focusing on families attractions like Disney or are you trying to be the "next level" like they show in these 2017 ads? I've just always felt that Universal keeps changing who they are targeting and have never been quite sure what they want to be. And that's been an issue with the park since day one.

How many of you remember when the completely rebranded themselves as "Universal Escape?"

teacherkim wrote:I rode Dragons several times and liked it (although I could never "marathon" it because that would make me sick)

EDIT: I would actually argue that Forbidden Journey makes just as many people sick as Dragons did. Maybe more.
Last edited by robbalvey on Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:36 pm.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby teacherkim » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:43 pm

Did Dragons have to go....no, there's no arguing they had room elsewhere, but for whatever reason they decided it was best for their bottom line. Maybe so, maybe no but it's done now.

As far as the ads, I always took that more to be we aren't catering to the stroller crowd so much as Disney. Maybe I interpreted that incorrectly. Disney sells nostalgia, Universal was smart to go a different route. Now exactly what that route is may still be in the formative stages. Having areas families can enjoy together is not necessarily the same as what Disney offers, where most teens are going to be bored most of the time. I for one was not unhappy when my son quickly outgrew most of the Disney rides, I can do without the super aggressive stroller brigade on my heels. However, Star Wars land may entice another visit from us in the future.

As an aficionado of motion sickness (which seriously pisses me off) I will have to respectfully disagree on the Forbidden Journey vs Dragons barfing issue. Although I certainly have no numbers to back that up, lol. Inverts are very hard on those who get motion sickness. I am guessing more people with a potential issue try FJ than Dragons though. Just my 2 cents.

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby toughmudder » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:54 pm

teacherkim wrote:As an aficionado of motion sickness (which seriously pisses me off) I will have to respectfully disagree on the Forbidden Journey vs Dragons barfing issue. Although I certainly have no numbers to back that up, lol. Inverts are very hard on those who get motion sickness. I am guessing more people with a potential issue try FJ than Dragons though. Just my 2 cents.

To each his/her own... but I've tried several times to ride Forbidden Journey w/out getting sick... and I get motion sick nearly every time. And I'm fine on other rides with motion and screen-based effects (Spiderman, Gringotts, Flight of Passage, Star Tours)

I have yet to ride a B&M invert that has made me sick... including Dragons (R.I.P)

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby teacherkim » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:19 pm

I guess it's one of those things that just affects each individual differently. I've never even felt queasy on FJ, but inverts often make me sick, flying coasters more so..... So for totally selfish reasons hoping the new Jurassic coaster is not flying like some have hypothesized!

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Xmeister » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:52 pm

I almost pushed back my May Orlando trip so I could experience this coaster. Truth be told, after watching the POVs I don't think that the new ride would've been worth the effort. I keep hearing on social media about this ride's amazing theming but for the most part it looks as though you go by the theming far too quick to really appreciate it!

Also they've been referring to this as "the world's first story coaster." How is this more of a "story coaster" than Gringotts? (Of course calling Gringotts a coaster could be a stretch to some.)

The one thing I'll say I'm impressed by is the lack of reliance on screens which is a nice change for Universal.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!