Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1444 - Hagrid's Motorbike Review!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:20 am

I've posted this elsewhere but I kind of feel like it's weird that they didn't just do a virtual queue from day one with this thing.

They've done a virtual queue with the stupid Fallon ride but not the one with a 10 hour wait on opening day? It's almost like they just want the visual and news story of having biblical wait times for their new ride.

Even if someone just buys ONE one day, one park ticket plus parking they're up over $150 to spend half of their day standing in line for one ride. It seems like they could dramatically improve the guest experience by offering return times and they could avoid having to run the ride all night to run out the huge lines too.

People would still bitch, but I feel like it's better than having a ride that opens at 12:45 every day with a 3 hour line plus an inevitable storm delay because it's Florida in June.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:42 am

^ I'm on board with the virtual queue in the sense that it prevents you from having to burn all that time in the queue, but on the other hand, I think people should have the opportunity to ride it if they are willing to wait however long it may be.

I wish they did the system I've heard about at Efteling for Python. You get a return time in the middle of the day, but they make it standby only at the end of the night so it gives everyone a chance to get on it if they missed out on a return time.

I realize we're talking about a brand new coaster themed to one of the most popular IPs at one of the most popular parks versus a retracked Vekoma, but I still think that queue model is a nice compromise to at least save some from a queue line from hell.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Canobie Lake Park & Six Flags New England- Goliath Only

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:15 am

coasterbill wrote:Even if someone just buys ONE one day, one park ticket plus parking they're up over $150 to spend half of their day standing in line for one ride. It seems like they could dramatically improve the guest experience by offering return times and they could avoid having to run the ride all night to run out the huge lines too.

Are they doing that and not just passholders?

People would still bitch,

People bitch about any and everything. Would a bunch of buy in events have been better? I guess it would be if it worked consistently, otherwise you would have spent $XXX for nothing. It's a new complex ride - from Intamin, no less - why expect Day 1 perfection? Isn't this TPR where we all call people morons for planning to go to opening day and then getting mad there's a big line and the ride doesn't work right (or gets pushed back a month because of technical issues)?

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:19 am

DirkFunk wrote: It's a new complex ride - from Intamin, no less - why expect Day 1 perfection?

Not to mention a ride that had it's date moved forward when Disney announced that Star Wars would be opening early. From what I've heard the ride was supposed to open much later, but Universal changed that date, and some people working on the project only found out from what they read on Twitter.

I personally would have rather they spent a bit more time testing the ride and opening it later when it was working better, but there's shareholders, right?

Didn't this same thing happen with Gringotts... Volcano Bay... there is a pattern here...

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:21 am

robbalvey wrote:
DirkFunk wrote: It's a new complex ride - from Intamin, no less - why expect Day 1 perfection?

Not to mention a ride that had it's date moved forward when Disney announced that Star Wars would be opening early. From what I've heard the ride was supposed to open much later, but Universal changed that date, and some people working on the project only found out from what they read on Twitter.

I personally would have rather they spent a bit more time testing the ride and opening it later when it was working better, but there's shareholders, right?

Didn't this same thing happen with Gringotts... Volcano Bay... there is a pattern here...

Avatar, IIRC, didn't run at full capacity for several months after opening. No one is gonna care in 3 months, much less a year unless the ride is dog s#it (which apparently it isn't by all accounts).

We could just as easily look at the supplier for Gringotts too, since (allegedly) they had to refabricate a bunch of track that didn't fit S&S Sansei style.
Last edited by DirkFunk on Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:22 am.

Postby coasterbill » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:22 am

DirkFunk wrote:Isn't this TPR where we all call people morons for planning to go to opening day and then getting mad there's a big line and the ride doesn't work right (or gets pushed back a month because of technical issues)?

I still feel like those people are morons but I also feel like Universal is handling this in a really weird way and not doing themselves any favors either. I mean, they do a virtual queue on Jimmy Fallon... come on. :lol:

At the end of the day though it's not my problem. I'm excited for the ride but I'm not going near the place until at least October.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby mikeykaise » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:24 am

robbalvey wrote:

Gotta love when a park takes shortcuts to try to get a leg up on the competition I guess.

Postby DirkFunk » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:25 am

coasterbill wrote:I still feel like those people are morons but I also feel like Universal is handling this in a really weird way and not doing themselves any favors either. I mean, they do a virtual queue on Jimmy Fallon... come on. :lol:

The whole thing is a virtual queue there. Kinda tough to replicate the same system if you have 5000 people waiting unless you have a spare Orange County Convention Center to have them fiddle around at....especially since the ride kept faulting out. Fallon's just a simulator, after all.

At the end of the day though it's not my problem. I'm excited for the ride but I'm not going near the place until at least October.

Maybe I'll go in February or something? I haven't gone in 2015 and have an exceptionally hard time caring about going to a park where I'm gonna go through TSA style security each time I want to ride Hulk.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:26 am

DirkFunk wrote:Avatar, IIRC, didn't run at full capacity for several months after opening.

Oh, it absoultely 100% did. I can tell you that one of my close friends worked on that opening and they ran all four theaters on Flight of Passage and full capacity on boats for River Journey.

They were also cycling vehicles SIX MONTHS before the ride opened and had lots of cast member and passholder previews.

But 100% those rides and that land was running full capacity the day it opened.

Star Wars land here in Orlando has been cycling ride vehicles on their attractions since January. When was the first time we saw Hagrid's test?

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby teacherkim » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:31 am

TurnOfTheCentury wrote:I also mourn the loss of Dueling Dragons, especially when it dueled. It was a great roller coaster, and surprisingly intense.
That said, I actually do understand why Universal / Rowling apparently thought it was out of place in Potter land, both thematically not quite fitting in with Potter land (although they could have done more to theme the ride area itself), and, maybe more importantly, perhaps being a bit too intense for the Potter demographic (which I am guessing is younger and more focused on theme than pure intense thrills -- just a guess here, not a Potter fan?).

I think if they are focused on wanting to create one expansive, cohesive, thematic Potter area, this was smart from a *business* perspective to have a small cluster of rides more closely connected and themed to the movie and having similar ride intensities. And then put in the Jurassic Park coaster to make sure those who want more intense thrills can get them there.

Not saying I like it, but I understand the thought process behind it.

And to expand on this idea a bit: It's a ride that parents and kids can do together, no matter the kids ages. We are coaster enthusiasts but also Potter fans. I rode Dragons several times and liked it (although I could never "marathon" it because that would make me sick) but when you look at any group of regular suburban moms and dads in their 50's, most of them are not "coaster enthusiasts" and aren't as willing to ride something THEY consider big and intimidating like Dragons. All the Potter rides are now rides that almost anyone can do, so parents and kids can go together instead of mom and dad sitting on a bench waiting for the kids. And several of those parents are fans as well so there is something they can share with their kids. That makes the whole area attractive to the majority of families. After all you have way more vacationing families at UO than your local regional theme park or even a lot of Six Flags parks where kids are just getting dropped off for the day or Mom goes and hangs out at the water park while kids ride because it's just a day trip. They are making a sound business decision based on their demographics.

Agreed that the Jurassic coaster will potentially be much more intense.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!