Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1467: "Halloween Marathon of Mayhem" HHN show announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby bert425 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:31 pm

those cotton candy cones look amazing!

I certainly would want to take pictures with it once it's done. tho not so sure about the "flavors" or "mix-ins". . . my brain is trained to thing the different colors of cotton candy taste the same, so it would be a shock to get an actual flavor difference.

(stares forlornly at my Six Flags tub o cotton candy)
IMG_6186.JPG
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:40 pm

I honestly just love the fact parks have taken Disney's cue after all these years and turned seasonal food events into major marketing items.

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:46 pm

SharkTums wrote:Pretty sure Disney is also doing crazy new cotton candy flavors at Springs right now too.

Did some park people get inspired at IAAPA!?!? ;)

Universal has been doing this for a while. I just tickle myself when I say the name of the venue, Honk Honkers . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:57 pm

Well, it would be nice if any of these new cotton candy set ups, could do this, too.....

;)
CottonCandy-Flowers.jpg
Found on the web.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Garet » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:59 am

^Those look like the ones all over Korea. I'd recommend a google of cotton candy Korea. See a couple in shopping malls, markets, and theme parks making kakao app characters or other shapes and they are always popular.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby Chiselphane » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:02 pm

jarmor wrote:
SharkTums wrote:Pretty sure Disney is also doing crazy new cotton candy flavors at Springs right now too.

Did some park people get inspired at IAAPA!?!? ;)

Universal has been doing this for a while. I just tickle myself when I say the name of the venue, Honk Honkers . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah the Toothsome Emporium has sold alt-flavored cotton candy since, if not opening, then close to. Absinthe cotton candy was interesting!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:09 pm

For those who just can't wait for word from Universal about an expansion, this certainly bodes well. But it a timely and complicated process to get to that expansion.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange/os-me-kirkman-road-extension-big-projects-20181218-story.html

Green light for Kirkman Road extension that promises to create jobs, new developments
Orange County commissioners approved a funding agreement with the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity to extend Kirkman Road which will boost planned expansions by Universal Studios, Lockheed Martin Corp. and others.

Stephen HudakStephen HudakContact ReporterOrlando Sentinel

Orange County commissioners nudged forward a critical road project in the tourism corridor Tuesday that will boost planned expansions by Universal Studios, Lockheed Martin Corp. and the Orange County Convention Center, voting to accept a partial-funding agreement with the state to extend Kirkman Road.

The project, when finished, will add a 1.7-mile north-south artery between Carrier Drive on the north to Universal Boulevard on the south and may lead to 2,500 new high-wage jobs.

The projected cost of building the extension ranges from $250 million to $300 million, said Renzo Nastasi, Orange County’s transportation planning manager.

“There’s an awful lot of activity there and consequently a lot of traffic,” Nastasi said as he outlined the agreement for county commissioners. “Bringing the project forward will certainly benefit the area in terms of additional mobility.”

UniversalExpansion.JPG

This map, created by Orange County government to show the planned Kirkman Road extension (highlighted in red), also shows some of the key attractions in the tourism corridor. The area in green shows property where Universal could build a new theme park. (Orlando Sentinel file)

The county is adding a 200,000-square-foot multipurpose venue, an 80,000-square-foot ballroom and another 60,000-square-foot meeting room at its massive convention center, which lures 1.4 million exhibitors and other visitors annually.

Lockheed Martin is adding 255,000 square feet of office space at its site, located on the west side of the extension.

The University of Central Florida College of Hospitality Management, located southeast of the proposed extension, has plans for a 50,000-square-foot building.

Universal City Development Partners, which owns and operates Universal Studios Florida and Universal’s Islands of Adventure, owns 758 developable acres on the east side of the proposed extension, enough for a theme park or two.

The company has not announced plans for the property but industry experts have speculated that Universal Orlando plans to build Nintendo-inspired attractions in a new theme park.

Nastasi described Universal’s property vaguely, calling it a “future attraction area.”

The extension, first added to the county’s long-range transportation plan a decade ago, will be funded jointly by the state, the county and Universal.

The state Department of Transportation will develop a segment beginning at Carrier Drive south to the edge of Lockheed Martin’s property. It will include a reconfigured interchange with Sand Lake Road.

As outlined by Nastasi, the state section will boast nine lanes of travel, including two separated bus lanes, bike lanes and sidewalks

Orange County’s portion runs from Lockheed Martin south to Universal Boulevard.

The county’s stretch will have a similar design to the state’s portion, including dedicated bus lanes, bike lanes and sidewalks.

“All these are subject to minor tweaks but generally speaking this is what the road is going to look like,” Nastasi said.

Could this be a future Universal park? »

Road design is expected to be finished next fall and construction should begin in the summer of 2020.

Nastasi said the county also has to forge a construction-funding agreement with Universal, which he termed “a complicated process.”

To illustrate the design of the proposed extension, Nastasi showed a video animation of traffic that featured some realistic bad driving.

The swerving, veering animated vehicles prompted Mayor Jerry Demings, formerly the county sheriff, to remark, “That’s terrible driving.”

Commissioner Betsy VanderLey quipped that she’d take the bus if the video was an accurate portrayal of driver behavior.

Earlier this year, affiliates of Universal Orlando filed infrastructure plans with the county for hundreds of acres north of Universal Boulevard and Destination Parkway.

The plans showed roadways and stormwater management for 10 parcels possibly to serve a theme park.

The $16 million in state funding is part of the Florida Job Growth Grant Fund program and could grow by an extra $13 million, said Eric Ushkowitz, economic-development administrator in the county office of Economic, Trade & Tourism Development.

He said the county has estimated the project’s partners — Universal, Lockheed Martin, the Rosen hospitality-management college and the convention center — will create 2,534 high-wage jobs that will pay an annual average of more than $51,000.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby Lucas The Drummer » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:39 pm

I see that the park is listed to he open til 1am on New Year's Eve. Does this mean all the rides will stay open til that time?
Signature?!?!?! What the hell am I buying?

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby Lucas The Drummer » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:38 pm

Lucas The Drummer wrote:I see that the park is listed to he open til 1am on New Year's Eve. Does this mean all the rides will stay open til that time?

Also, is it likely to be crowded? I've never been to a theme park on New year's eve
Signature?!?!?! What the hell am I buying?

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby Chiselphane » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:35 am

Lucas The Drummer wrote:
Lucas The Drummer wrote:I see that the park is listed to he open til 1am on New Year's Eve. Does this mean all the rides will stay open til that time?

Also, is it likely to be crowded? I've never been to a theme park on New year's eve

It's going to be VERY crowded so keep that in mind going in. Like near-to-max crowds for the year.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!