Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1423: Holidays at Universal Orlando media preview report!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Open Up Happiness

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:45 am

Our nearest Cinemark is a really great theater in a really terrible location (the remains of the former Artegon/Festival Bay mall). I've always felt like CityWalk's AMC was one of the weaker theaters in town despite the location, so I'm hopeful this change brings the theater up to speed.
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:45 am.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:37 am

Here's a "first look" at the new Stranger Things Maze coming to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios Hollywood, Orlando, and Singapore...

Universal City, CA, September 5, 2018 – Universal Studios reveals first look images from the “Stranger Things” haunted mazes coming to “Halloween Horror Nights” 2018.

For the first time ever, Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal Orlando Resort and Universal Studios Singapore are partnering with Netflix to bring “Stranger Things” to life at their “Halloween Horror Nights" events. Each park will feature its very own maze that will give guests the chance to brave the Upside Down and encounter iconic scenes, characters and environments from season one of the critically-acclaimed series.

The images showcase some of the eerily-authentic environments guests will encounter at “Halloween Horror Nights” 2018 – including the Byers’ living room adorned with an erratic display of flashing Christmas lights, Hawkins National Laboratory in the Upside Down, Will’s makeshift fort called Castle Byers and more.

“Halloween Horror Nights” begins Friday, September 14 in Hollywood and Orlando, and on Thursday, September 27 in Singapore. Tickets and vacation packages are on sale now. For more information about “Halloween Horror Nights” at Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal Orlando Resort or Universal Studios Singapore, visit http://www.HalloweenHorrorNights.com.

1_First Look Inside Stranger Things maze at HHN 2018.jpg
2_First Look Inside Stranger Things maze at HHN 2018.jpg
3_First Look Inside Stranger Things maze at HHN 2018.jpg
4_First Look Inside Stranger Things maze at HHN 2018.jpg
5_First Look Inside Stranger Things maze at HHN 2018.jpg
6_First Look Inside Stranger Things maze at HHN 2018.jpg
Last edited by robbalvey on Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:54 am.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:42 am

I know nothing about this franchise (yeah, I'm the guy) but that looks amazing.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby michaellynn4 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:51 am

Wow, that looks awesome! Huge fan of the show, eager to see what the reviews will say about this!
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby Satans Hockey » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:00 am

coasterbill wrote:I know nothing about this franchise (yeah, I'm the guy) but that looks amazing.

I bailed after episode 3 because it just didn't capture my attention but agreed the maze still looks really awesome.

Postby Hilltopper39 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:19 am

I liked Season 2 way more than season 1 and think it's a pretty fun show, maybe not as great a some think but still worth watching.....

.....but these pictures look absolutely stunning. I really wasn't planning on going this year but might have to try to squeeze in one night to check out this maze.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Dombot » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:16 am

So hyped for this. Looks amazing.
1. Intimidator 305 2. Kumba 3. Twisted Timbers 4. Mako 5. Alpengeist

"Sometimes I mistake this for a universe that cares." ~Randall Munroe

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:50 pm

Here's our first video out of Halloween Horror Nights in Orlando from tonight!

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:42 am

I'm not going to belabor myself posting a lengthy opening night TR since I'm sure TPR will do an even better job, but I can speak from my own experience.

It was our first Orlando HHN and we had a great time! Did not splurge for a Fast Pass so we accepted that we'd be waiting a while for everything and not get much done. Met a cool couple during early entry and ended up having a blast together just goofing off during our waits. Yes, we were those people last night. :lol:

Ended up getting two rides in and 4 (1/2, more on that later) mazes, plus plenty of beer runs! :lol: Was definitely glad that Orlando is not a dry event, like Hollywood is. Maze lines topped out around an 60-80 minutes for everything but Stranger Things. Stranger Things was 2+ hours the whole night.

So the one bittersweet thing that happened (which maybe you've heard about if you look at their socials):
We saved Stranger Things for last partially because we like saving the best for last and partially because it was a 2+ hour wait all night. Got in line for it 30 minutes to close, and they still were letting people get in line up until close. At around 1:30 (after we waited an hour, but others had waited much longer) we start to see them sending everyone home. There were droves of people all confused and frustrated being told that Stranger Things was closed. Basically, we heard the employees were under a certain contract but that per their contract they didn't have to stay past a certain time (which seems kinda weird and confusing, but whatever). So, since employees were leaving they could not keep Stranger Things open. The line to Guest Services was ridiculous. For the most part people were disgruntled and confused, but not belligerent. They ended up giving us signed business cards stating we could have a comp HHN ticket for any night as well as a Stranger Things fast pass.

I came all the way from Ohio to visit friends and go to this, so I'm definitely very thankful they gave us this comp. I'm lucky that we have time in the schedule to go again, so it will work out pretty well because we can hit the mazes we missed, including Stranger Things.

I'm still very confused why this happened. My experience with theme parks is either A. as long as you get in line before close, they let you do the ride/experience (shout-out to Disney's Flight of Passage crew!) or B. they anticipate the length of wait time and close it off correspondingly before closing, which is frustrating if you thought that A. was going to happen, but at least you can go do something else until park closing. I definitely don't think the park expected this to happen.

So now, we'll go again either tonight or Sunday and make sure to do Stranger Things early in the night. Those of you planning to go in the near future (esp if you don't get a fast pass): I'd recommend doing Stranger Things early or at least ask staff if they are going to close off the line early. I'm sure the park is going to make sure this is NOT going to happen again.

TL;DR : Unexpected things happen in this hobby, but drink plenty of beer and take a chill pill if they don't work in your favor.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby anonymouscactus » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:01 am

^ wow, that's crazy about closing the house with people in line, let alone that many people for the most popular house. Definitely poor planning on that one... I'm sure their social media is blowing up, time to make some popcorn!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!