Fatal Roller Coaster Accident at Japan's Expoland

Police Raided the Park!?!? See Page 9
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby eskater132 » Sat May 05, 2007 3:00 pm

I feel really bad about this...

But, the good thing is that those TOGO stand ups are the only coasters that I can see tipping over like that, because the seats are topheavy because they are more vertical than the track, so, this probably won't happen on a ride with a wide train or a low train, pretty much like every other kind of coaster!

Also, a way to completely avoid this is to only ride inverted coasters, you'll just lose your legs...

Favorite element on SkyRush is the Stengel Dive!

Postby BDG » Sat May 05, 2007 3:01 pm

Feeling sorry for the victim of an accident is normal. You don't need 50 times the same "OMG. That's sick. I feel sorry for the woman and her family." to realise that.

I want to know what exactly went wrong, what caused it, if it can happen to other coasters and what Togo (and other manufactuers) can do about it.
And I also want to know why is their a guardrail alongside the entire track or nearly every Japanese coaster ? Without that fence / guardrail, the woman probably wouldn't have hit her head.

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby adc9787 » Sat May 05, 2007 3:17 pm

^ Yes. I have always wondered that myself. But just wondering, if the rail had not beed there, could the car flip completely over the edge, or would the other cars in the train stop that?

-Andrew

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby FLIPDUDE » Sat May 05, 2007 3:25 pm

I never said that the topic should be %100 about sensitivity, RollerC, I was simply saying that it bothered me that is is %0. There -is- a middle ground after all.

Robb, I never said everyone's opinions should be the same as mine I was simply expressing that I found it apalling to see no consideration for the people involved.

As for people not saying things like that because they gfigured they're obvious, I apologize, I didn't realize it. I guess it's just built up resentment from the topic about the little chinese kid that got eaten at an amusement park, where everyone not only didnt hsow compassion but even said he deserved it.

I apologize if I overreacted.

Baby I'm Ready To Gooooooooo

Postby thrillrideseeker » Sat May 05, 2007 3:29 pm

:shockr: WOW. And I thought riding roller coasters was safe... I guess my mind has been changed now. It is a rather interesting story though... How do seats "fall" off of a roller coaster?

~Matthew *Is so not going to stop riding roller coasters* Stout
~Matt & Matt~

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby mr_teisco_delrey » Sat May 05, 2007 3:35 pm

http://www.nhk.or.jp/news/2007/05/06/k2 ... 00022.html

I realize the page is in Japanese, but reading the article it said the wheel assembly failed. On the video, it shows a thrown wheel assembly. Also, park officials have a chalkboard drawing of the assembly. Just my $.02. Very sad indeed.

Favorite element on SkyRush is the Stengel Dive!

Postby BDG » Sat May 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Interesting. A wheel assembly broke off...

And apparently, the wheel assemblies are the only things holding the cars together. There's no central axle that would've prevented the car from tilting and causing the woman to hit her head against the railing.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby mr_teisco_delrey » Sat May 05, 2007 3:51 pm

BDG wrote:IThere's no central axle that would've prevented the car from tilting and causing the woman to hit her head against the railing.

The Kanji read axle. Sorry about that.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby PCW FREAK » Sat May 05, 2007 3:53 pm

This is absolutely horrible, but indeed interesting. I haven't heard of an accident where the actual wheel assembly broke of at the very instant where a fence was coming. A horrible coincidence i suppose.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat May 05, 2007 3:58 pm

Anyone know how to rip that video to the HD? I'd like to be able to grab it and edit out the front part of it.

--Robb

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!