Aulani - A Disney Resort & Spa' Discussion Thread

P. 3: Aulani: The Music of the Makaʻala now downloadable!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Aulani - A Disney Resort & Spa' Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:52 pm

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Aulani - A Disney Resort & Spa, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion.

Official Resort Website

Below are some links to past updates from the resort, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

October 16th, 2008 - Disney unveils plans for Hawaiian resort

January 19th, 2010 - Disney reveals new details for 800-room Aulani resort

January 20th, 2013 - New details on Aulani expansion released!
October 21st, 2013 - Ka Maka Landing now open at Aulani

March 18th, 2014 - Aulani: The Music of the Makaʻala now downloadable!

Disney is up to some weird stuff lately.....

Disney to Test Group Vacations in Hawaii, Wyoming
Fri Feb 18, 2005 03:00 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Walt Disney Co.'s (DIS.N: Quote, Profile, Research) theme parks group, which has already expanded into cruise lines, will test leading group tours to Hawaii and Wyoming this summer, a spokeswoman said on Thursday.

Disney plans to take about 400-450 veterans of its parks and ships on one-week tours in groups of 35 people or less, spokeswoman Lisa Haines told Reuters. She declined to comment on pricing but said the test trips would be at discount rates.

Mickey Mouse won't be hiking in the mountains or getting a tan on the beach, but Disney expects its reputation for service to draw crowds of customers nonetheless.

"We are experts in the family vacation, but you are not going to see (Disney) characters in places they shouldn't be," said parks spokeswoman Lisa Haines.

Disney will hire its own guides for the trips, which could form the beginning of a new business. The initial Hawaii trip will include visits to the big island of Hawaii, Oahu and Kauai, while the Wyoming trip will take in the Grand Tetons, Jackson Hole and Yellowstone.
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:39 am.

Grocery Store Enthusiast!

Postby Kroger8 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:22 pm

Have been to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and Jackson Hole in Wyoming, can't think of anything that a family with younger kids, that Disney is known to cater to, will do out there in summer. We went in summer and there wasn't much to do, we white-water rafted down the Snake River, and horse-back rode in the Grand Tetons which were both awesome but both weren't targeted to younger kids... so I guess Disney is planning to start catering more to adults than to the family. IMO I don't think this will go to well.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:28 pm

^Who knows! They could do one of their "Alice in Wonderland Tea Parties" for the kids at the National Parks! Or how about rafting to a picnic where you go on a Disney Scavenger Hunt. There are really no limits to what they could do with this idea!

Elissa "there are so many Disney Enthusiasts it could work!" Alvey

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Jose Eber » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:04 pm

As soon as I hear someone saying they are an 'expert' I roll my eyes and yawn because someone is missing the big picture.

I visited all those places as a kid (thanks to my parents). Disney trips won hands down.

You know a company is going in the shi**er when if fails to capitalize on its own unique market it created.

Was on the monorail today...being on those express trains from the parking lot to MK gives you a rare picture of BOTH parents and kids excited to go somewhere...it is magical.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Kumba9 » Fri May 26, 2006 6:48 pm

Not sure how I found this article (I think during a search for another topic), but the D-CL has been stationed here off the coast of Maui (Kahului Harbor) for a couple of days and conducting "unofficial" tours around the island chain.

The ship(s) arrives during odd dates/times and there seems to be no clear way to track how often Disney does come, but some of the employees (and themepark management) have been seen trying many Hawaiian-local foods and I just have to laugh at their facial expressions.

There may be a link on Disney's cruise line regarding the trips to Hawaii and around the islands (I've heard prices as low as $450 a week!).

Postby Wes » Fri May 26, 2006 7:28 pm

This is news? You guys could have asked me about this months ago.

http://abd.disney.go.com/abd/en_US/index

God, that audio is amazing.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Kumba9 » Fri May 26, 2006 8:14 pm

^love the Hula Music..lol

The reason why I didn't see that earlier because the Hawaii (DCL) was a test market and they weren't sure if the cruise line would still have "any" of the Hawaii routes because our TSA (security) was trying to ban incomming cruise lines to ALL islands for some dumb-ass reason. Well, thats the HI. gov't at work.

But there are some offers out there even CHEAPER that the Disney website.
You can search on the Hawaii tourism sites and find links that are about 30% cheaper (even during winter-peak season). That is best time to come anyway, because the humpback whales come to Maui.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby disneyfan1313 » Fri May 26, 2006 8:16 pm

Heh! This has been going on for a bit. There were tests last year that went well so it is going forward on a semi-perm basis. These are designed as high-end family vacations. Really no disney touches except the guide and the planning. The general market for this is someone who gets a VIP guide (or would consider getting a VIP guide) when they visit WDW.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby disneyfan1313 » Fri May 26, 2006 8:18 pm

Kumba9 wrote:Not sure how I found this article (I think during a search for another topic), but the D-CL has been stationed here off the coast of Maui (Kahului Harbor) for a couple of days and conducting "unofficial" tours around the island chain.

The ship(s) arrives during odd dates/times and there seems to be no clear way to track how often Disney does come, but some of the employees (and themepark management) have been seen trying many Hawaiian-local foods and I just have to laugh at their facial expressions.

There may be a link on Disney's cruise line regarding the trips to Hawaii and around the islands (I've heard prices as low as $450 a week!).

Huh? The Disney Cruise Line is no where near Hawaii - they are on their normal Caribbean Itins.. The only outside the normal 3,4 and 7 day cruise plans are next years trips to Europe. Nada for Hawaii.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Disney unveiled resort scheduled to open on Oahu in 2011

Postby miniviews » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:30 pm

Walt Disney Parks & Resorts unveils plans for Hawaii resort: Pacific Business News

The resort will feature two towers, gardens, pools, water slides, a fake volcano caldera, spa, banquet and meeting space, and wedding facilities.

Disney film characters played by humans, such as mermaids, are expected to play a regular role at the resort.

This is Disney’s first vacation club-hotel venture to be separate from its theme parks in California, Florida and Japan. Disney also operates vacation clubs in Vero Beach, Fla., and Hilton Head, S.C.

Due to the beaches in Hawaii are public (with some exception to the military) and requires public access, I hope there's a large parking garage for the public. On second thought, I hope the public takes care of the beach!
bilde.jpg
Photo courtesy of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts
"Hawaiian" Mike

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!