Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4740: Cedar Points Nights 2019 details released!
Users viewing this topic: Infrared Sight, smartestcoasterkidever!, southpuddle and 20 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.
User avatar
 
Posts: 278
Joined: 10 Nov 2007
Location: Berlin, Germany. From Denmark
Gender: Male
Age: 24

Re: The Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby coaster1000 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:04 pm

^^

That means I fail at failing. Well. That's bad.

By the way, I'm pretty anxious to see what sort of theming it's going to have... If any.

Also, another question:
I've wondered this for a while, why doesn't CP have a flash pass sort-of system? With 2 hr waits for the big rides on crowded days, it would make (rich) guests happier. And it would make good profit for the park!
:)
I remember seeing some people getting "stamped", though. But that is a long time ago. Can anyone explain?

Five babies drowned in a fire
User avatar
 
Posts: 4226
Joined: 15 Jul 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Gender: Male
Age: 34

Re: The Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:16 pm

^They had a flash pass system about 10 years ago, but did away with it for what I believe were logistical reasons. I guess it wasn't working as well as they thought it would.
Image

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!
User avatar
 
Posts: 970
Joined: 16 Aug 2005
Location: Purdue University
Gender: Male
Age: 27

Re: The Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby cprocks22 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:18 pm

^^Cause I'm almost completely convinced that Cedar Point and Cedar Fair REALLY don't care that much about their customers, its more about making a profit then anything else. Besides, their hand-stamp system in the past really wasn't a good system...at all. If you WANTED to get that you ended up having to wait an hour or more before they started giving them out just to GET one, then you would have to wait another 2 hours for your time, then another 20 minutes in the "fast" line. It just didn't work. You ended up waiting just as long, if not longer, then you would've normally.

Site Admin
User avatar
 
Posts: 48167
Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Gender: Male

Re: The Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:22 pm

Skycoastin Steve wrote:^They had a flash pass system about 10 years ago, but did away with it for what I believe were logistical reasons. I guess it wasn't working as well as they thought it would.

I remember that... Ticket To Ride or something along that lines?

Yeah, it really didn't work out that well...

In 2002 they handed us a ticket for MF and in 2003 was even more "ghetto" where they stamped one of your hands with a Raptor stamp and the other with MF with the time frame to return back to the ride at. It looked like this:
Image
That ink never washed off either...I'm sure I still have remnants of it on my hand somewhere! :lol:

I would *love* to see Cedar Fair parks get something like Lo-Q for their parks.

--Robb
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:23 pm.

Five babies drowned in a fire
User avatar
 
Posts: 4226
Joined: 15 Jul 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Gender: Male
Age: 34

Re: The Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:38 pm

^When I went in 2000 they had a similar system to what Disney had at the time. You would scan your single day ticket at a kiosk in front of the ride, and it would print you a paper ticket to tell you when you could ride. They would obviously only let people in with the correct time on their tickets (I do believe the tickets were either 20 or 30 minute increments), and you could only have one ticket at a time to prevent hoarding. The first time I ever rode MF was with a 20 minute wait thanks to the system they had in place that year. Also keep in mind, I could totally be confusing CP's system with Disney's, as my memory is a bit fuzzy from 10 years ago. :lol:

Please, someone who remembers, help me out!
Image

Site Admin
User avatar
 
Posts: 48167
Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Gender: Male

Re: The Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:00 pm

Skycoastin Steve wrote:^When I went in 2000 they had a similar system to what Disney had at the time. You would scan your single day ticket at a kiosk in front of the ride, and it would print you a paper ticket to tell you when you could ride. They would obviously only let people in with the correct time on their tickets (I do believe the tickets were either 20 or 30 minute increments), and you could only have one ticket at a time to prevent hoarding. The first time I ever rode MF was with a 20 minute wait thanks to the system they had in place that year. Also keep in mind, I could totally be confusing CP's system with Disney's, as my memory is a bit fuzzy from 10 years ago. :lol:

Please, someone who remembers, help me out!

You are right. In 2000 we also got these printed tickets, but there wasn't a machine. There was just someone at the front of the queue handing them out. Could very well just me that the machine was broken on our visit.

--Robb

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.
User avatar
 
Posts: 85
Joined: 06 Jun 2008
Location: Fairmont, WV
Gender: Male
Age: 27

Re: The Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby thrillseaker92 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:18 pm

If you look at the Cedar Point STR web cam it looks as if the part of the ride on the island has been filled with water.

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/fun/webcams/webcam2.cfm?chip=3
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/414f71682e10057fb949eda53a0661ff.jpg[/img][/url]

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 10381
Joined: 19 Feb 2005
Location: Waterloo, Canada
Gender: Male
Age: 39

Re: The Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby Carnage » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:32 pm

robbalvey wrote:You are right. In 2000 we also got these printed tickets, but there wasn't a machine. There was just someone at the front of the queue handing them out. Could very well just me that the machine was broken on our visit.


Was that the system they brought in just for Millennium Force?

Opening year for MF the line was getting insanely long. So they closed off the line, and started handing out tickets with a time that you could start lining up.

Wasn't really a "fastpass" system as much as it was a system to prevent the line wrapping halfway around the park. ;)
Image

I don't know the difference between waist and waste.
User avatar
 
Posts: 524
Joined: 13 May 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Gender: Male
Age: 27

Re: The Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby CPmaverick » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:39 pm

thrillseaker92 wrote:If you look at the Cedar Point STR web cam it looks as if the part of the ride on the island has been filled with water.

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/fun/webcams/webcam2.cfm?chip=3

I think that's just rain water. On the last blog update on Friday, they mentioned that they were going to begin filling up the ride in a week and a half.

As for Cedar Point getting some type of skip the line system in the future, it's not going to happen. I have heard from so many Cedar Point managers (not just the crazy Cedar Fair management team) that they hate the idea after the horrendous freeway system. Although I would love for it to happen.
Image
3DS Friend Code: 0774-4246-7779
Simpsons Tapped Out: serialmaverick

Five babies drowned in a fire
User avatar
 
Posts: 4226
Joined: 15 Jul 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Gender: Male
Age: 34

Re: The Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:46 pm

robbalvey wrote:You are right. In 2000 we also got these printed tickets, but there wasn't a machine. There was just someone at the front of the queue handing them out. Could very well just me that the machine was broken on our visit.

--Robb


Yeah, as I said, I probably got it mixed up with Disney's system. I really don't remember fully if they were handing tickets out or if they were being printed on a machine. I do know the queue railing from the fast pass lines are all still at the rides they used them for (MF, TTD, Magnum, Raptor come immediately to mind), they just obviously aren't being used for anything anymore. However, if they chose to reinstate some kind of system (Q-Bots would be amazing), they would already have a bit of a head start on the process.
Image

PreviousNext