Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4740: Cedar Points Nights 2019 details released!
Users viewing this topic: ALT2870 and 13 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Re: The Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby BrownStreak » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:34 pm

coasterking2981 wrote:Does it really matter if StR and PP are chutes or flumes? They are both water rides that make a big splash and get people wet. End of discussion.

Yes it does matter, because if CP fanboys don't have anything to complain or boast about, they will spontaneously explode into a gooey puddle. Their rides need to be better and different than all others...or else!
Of the road, but still in a truck...By the way, that's my dog Millie (named after Millennium Force) over there to the left!

No Discernible Talent Whatsoever!

Postby King of Ka » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:24 am

I was joking. I don't think it matters what STR is, nor what it means to CP or the future of the log flume.

TPR's Favorite Beaner

Postby RCFreak » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:30 am

^It made me L-O-L.

Five babies drowned in a fire

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:13 am

StLCPfan wrote: The ability to tone down the splash to make it an acceptable amount of wetness instead of the tidal wave of chute-the-chutes rides is the difference.

Just to jump in on this real quick, you're a little off on the reason the splash isn't as big. They made it so there was a long run-out before the splash and then a gradual plunge into the water because if you hit deep water at over 50 mph, the deceleration would be pretty extreme and most certainly unsafe. Also, those boats could never create a "wall of water" because they don't have a broad enough front like normal chute boats and wouldn't displace enough water to create the same splash that a 50-foot chute could create. Holiday World just had a genius brush stroke of marketing for that ride. Either way, I rode it last year and you still get soaked regardless of wave size.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby diverguy59 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:15 am

Can we just go back to being excited for a new ride?
Personally I can't wait to ride it. I LOVE water rides, so I was pretty excited when they announced this STR! =)

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby PortugePunk » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:16 am

I gotta say.. I wasn't super stoked about this new ride at first, but it's shaping up to look pretty neat.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby aimster » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:10 am

Man I miss Cedar Point. Used to go there almost every summer when I was a kid growing up in Michigan. Last trip there was in 1990. I keep saying I'm going to go back and it never happens. I'd love to get the BF to go with me, but he can't do hardly any rides without getting motion sick, so I'd be stuck having to ride everything by myself since I'd mainly be going for the coasters (and the Cedar Downs horse race carousel... best carousel EVER!!! My friends & I used to bet quarters on which of our horses would "win").

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:25 pm

Quick question about opening weekend crowds. I know Saturday, opening day, is going to be somewhat crowded, but what about Sunday? Is the day after opening day usually crowded?
Last edited by FeelTheFORCE on Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:31 pm.

Five babies drowned in a fire

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:28 pm

^In my experience, opening day crowds were actually never that bad.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:40 pm

So Sunday should be good? Weather permitting, of course. The reason I ask is because I am going with a group of buddies, which includes people who have never been there before, and I don't want their first CP experience to be waiting 4 hours in line, and riding 3 things all day. I'm going to work 40+ hours a week in the summer, so weekdays are most likely out of the question. The 23rd is no good, the 30th is memorial day weekend, and the next weekend after that is Coastermania, so the 16th may be my only option.

Also, another question, what about things like ride glitches, training, etc.? I've gone during opening week quite a few times and have never had any problems, but being only the 2nd day they are open, the possibility sits in the back of my mind that rides could be closed or run slowly because of newly trained ride ops who are still getting the hang of things, or perhaps bugs from the winter that still need to be worked out.

PreviousNext