Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4740: Cedar Points Nights 2019 details released!
Users viewing this topic: SkyToro and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby DILinator » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:17 pm

I mean, almost EVERY amusement park makes a pretty big deal out of major Anniversaries. Just because they "make a big deal" out of it, doesn't mean that a new coaster is coming though. My perspective on this issue, is that the people saying parks care about Anniversaries are right, because objectively, provably, they are. But the people saying parks aren't in the habit of celebrating said Anniversaries with big new coasters or additions are also right, because, again, objectively, provably, they are. The truth is in the nuance, as it often is.

As far as CP in concerned though, I believed, and still believe, a new coaster is coming in 2021 (or pushed back to 2022), because other than that brief period after Maverick, their investment strategy my entire life (over 40 years of evidential proof) has been regular, large, capital investments. What constitutes large varies, but from my coaster "Spidey Sense" (and that sense was pretty damn right about SGGAdv this year!), as well as various things I've seen and heard, I do see another coaster at CP before too long, and I do think initially the plan was to sync it up with the second year of their 150th celebration, though that may have been more circumstantial than anything.

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:19 pm

DILinator wrote:I mean, almost EVERY amusement park makes a pretty big deal out of major Anniversaries. Just because they "make a big deal" out of it, doesn't mean that a new coaster is coming though....

Oh come on!!!!! You know they owe us this 150mph coaster. They have been promising it, and teasing it for years, or so people wanted to believe. Their 150 anniversary is totally the year they will make it happen!! It just makes sense!!

:roll:
Bigger is not always better.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby WolfBobs » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:50 am

I guess I should be clear, I didn't mean parks do not care or celebrate anniversaries. They obviously do. I meant there is no substantial evidence to show that major anniversaries equate to major investments such as a giant new roller coaster to celebrate it.

CP has regularly been in the habit of hanging banners on rides for their 45th or 35th anniversary, etc. But has rarely invested in a large ride for the sole purpose to celebrate their anniversary. To me the point of an anniversary is to celebrate the history of the item, park or event. Not to take away from that by constantly adding something new and large and unique.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby KarlaKoaster » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:21 am

It's normally a false economy to build a big new ride to celebrate an anniversary as the marketing efforts for one will come at the expense of other. It makes sense to just do generic decorations/celebrations on an anniversary year because it makes something out of nothing - Disney are experts out of this having also celebrated 35th and 45th anniversaries, neither of which are particularly notable.

Disney are obviously opening a ton of new things for their 50th, but in this case I think these rides were always part of their masterplan as they step up their response to Universal, and in their case it makes sense to package it up as part of the 50th anniversary celebrations.

Postby prozach626 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:19 am

WolfBobs wrote:CP has regularly been in the habit of hanging banners on rides for their 45th or 35th anniversary, etc. But has rarely invested in a large ride for the sole purpose to celebrate their anniversary. To me the point of an anniversary is to celebrate the history of the item, park or event. Not to take away from that by constantly adding something new and large and unique.

:nina:

Postby VF15 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:45 pm

Looks like Cedar Point is opening Hotel Breakers and Lighthouse Point from June 12 through June 28 for beach getaways.
https://www.cedarpoint.com/vacation/packages/sun-and-fun-hide123?fbclid=IwAR2AguAzgxNtz-P42HgpHBu9TivrS5vVjV5KUciIh8FJx0_vSBn3bNVfmOw

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby WolfBobs » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:32 am

Governor DeWine said an announcement regarding amusement parks, zoos, FEC's, etc. will be made on Thursday and will be "good news" for most.

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2020/06/gov-mike-dewine-says-hell-reveal-thursday-when-zoos-museums-and-amusement-parks-can-reopen.html

Good news for zoo lovers in Ohio: Gov. Mike DeWine promised he’ll have an answer on Thursday for when the state’s zoos, museums and other tourist attractions can reopen.

“And I think for most of these facilities, it will be good news,” he said.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby teacherkim » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:39 pm

If the announcement is coming tomorrow, and the hotel is open 12th - 28th for "beach getaways" then I am guessing the open date will be the 29th, at least in time for the fourth of July. Guess we will know soon.

Postby VF15 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:28 am

Post deleted.
Last edited by VF15 on Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:27 pm.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby coasternut » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:01 pm

I just saw on their webcam Valravn and Raptor are testing. They're not wasting any time! :lmao:
Coasternut,

LIVING FOR THAT AIRTIME!! :airtime:

PreviousNext