Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4740: Cedar Points Nights 2019 details released!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 12 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby Apollo von Sol » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:08 pm

DavidB wrote:
Too Fast For Comfort wrote: I like the late hours with lots of night riding. There aren't swarms of bugs around the coasters.

Uhh... Have you been to Cedar Point and been there during night time?...

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby DavidB » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:30 pm

^Yes, I've been all times of the year throughout my life. Bug eating szn sucks...I prefer October because its......not bug eating szn.

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:25 am

Apollo von Sol wrote:
DavidB wrote:
Too Fast For Comfort wrote: I like the late hours with lots of night riding. There aren't swarms of bugs around the coasters.

Uhh... Have you been to Cedar Point and been there during night time?...

Point of order: you kind of screwed up with the coding on that post, for the record, I don't say that, the guy who quoted me did.

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:27 am

DavidB wrote:
Too Fast For Comfort wrote:Once its gone, its gone. They've also been known to increase the prices as it gets closer to the date too. It sounds like you just need to bite the bullet and pay extra to get them now if its that important to you. Honestly unless the Halloween stuff is that important to you, you're probably just better off waiting to go in May or June when it won't be crowded at all and you won't need a Fast Lane.

Yeah, I know May or June is a better time to go as far as ride lines go, but I enjoy going in the fall for a number of reasons. I like the cooler weather. I'm not particularly interested in doing the actual haunts, but I like the Halloween decorations and atmosphere. I like the late hours with lots of night riding. There aren't swarms of bugs around the coasters. Heck, last year I ate all different kinds of delicious food from the food trucks at the park, which aren't always options other times of year.

Maybe I'll try earlier in the season next year...but this year I'm going this weekend. =)

And that's fine, just know that you're going to going to get on many rides. If you go, just go for the atmosphere and Halloween stuff and don't get your hopes up for getting on many actual rides.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby lord denning » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:02 am

Went this weekend - it was crazy experience but inconsistent.

Traffic in - even Saturday at 4pm was an hour on the causeway. An hour just to get to the parking booth! We did not have Fastline - so we focused on mazes. MF was only a 25 minute wait by 11pm and Magnum was a walk-on by 8:30pm - so we did that a few times - still an epic ride in the dark in the back. My kid had never experienced true ejector air before.

Scarezone waits were insane for cornstalkers.

Sunday - had platinum entry plus fastlane plus (free due to season pass renewal) - was able to get in SV, maverick x2 by 11:30am.

Then it was a gong show - Gatekeeper down for the day (rumor is reopened after 8:30pm but we were at the top of the park and it was near closing time so too much of a risk to run down instead of night SV), top thrill after an hour fast lane wait broke in the station, waited another half an hour for a reopen that never occurred. ride opened up again five hours later (we got in after another 45 fastline wait)

Valraven, and Maverick fast line was decent - not that long of a wait. But MF had fast line line equal to regular and SV was still close to an hour and top thrill more than an hour.

The long and the short of it is that we still had a great time. The haunt stuff was good. My kid's first time on the 52 inchers (though we didn't get gatekeeper). We didn't have a choice but to face the crowds (long weekend needed for drive back, had to take advantage of fastlane promotion, kid wasn't tall enough earlier in season, etc).

Only real complaint is the fastline - we were so excited to take advantage of it to really enjoy the rides, only to find out the lines are still crazy long. They really need to reduce the number of fast lanes they sell, at $120 plus it is not right to sell so many that are still hour lines. There was nothing VIP about it. Since we used our entitlement it wasn't the of the world, but if i paid out of pocket i would have been really disappointed.

PS. Windseeker is the dumbest name ever. Why call a ride windseeker when it can't ride when there is wind? Shouldn't they call it Windfearer?
Using Tapatalk

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:07 am

Windseeker and Sky Ride are closed for the season for staffing. While it would never have operated on a day where Gatekeeper and Raptor were closed for wind until 8:30 at night anyway, it wasn't going to open regardless of weather conditions.

As for the Fastlane thing, given the restrictions on when you could use the promotional free Fastlane for renewal you and everyone else picked the most obvious day to redeem it (the only Sunday with a 10:00 close and all of the haunt attractions open) so there was no way that was going to go well. The park should have probably seen that coming. :lol:
Last edited by coasterbill on Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:10 am.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby RaceBoarder » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:09 am

Just do the math on Fast Lane passes and you see why they do it.

$150+ each. Figure probably 2,000 of them sold on a busy Saturday. That's an additional $300,000 in revenue that cost the park probably $100 in printing the wrist bands.

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby Coastard69 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:39 am

Got to the Point sunday around 7:30 pm. Got on Maverick in back row after about 2 hours in line, ride was great as expected. Than got my Steel Vengeance credit. Didn't want to have to admit that the ride is amazing, but crap it's a great ride. Did not care for the metal detectors though, we were in line for over an hour and a half and what should have been no more than 40 minutes took over an hour and a half due to the metal detectors and fast lane. But the ride was so good it was hard to be upset about it.
Your Favorite Coaster Sucks
Available on Spotify, Stitcher, Soundcloud and Apple Podcasts
440 Coasters - a few of them are good

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby MrFurious » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:11 pm

Forever lurker, seldom poster... but here goes. I, like many, purchased platinum passes for my family for 2020 (and the remainder of 2019). My daughter is budding enthusiast at 9, and is now tall enough for EVERYTHING. The plan was a road trip from St. Louis to holiday world, kings island, and then, CEDAR POINT!! My wife and I have been, but not our little one. After all the discussions (of which I was a part), we decided to buy the platinum passes from Canada's Wonderland (thanks conversion rate!) With the intention of converting the printouts to actual passes at cedar point (or kings island). Many assured us that would work out.

I started getting paranoid though, and planned a quick trip to KC in order to visit WOF in order to get them in hand sooner (and get the creds there I'm missing and give my daughter her first taste of cedar fair). At the gate, I was greeted by a super pleasant newish employee who was super excited to process her first platinum pass. Except she couldn't get it to work. She was in an entry point, alone, at the back of the park... and after some confusion and phone calls on her point she asked me if Canada's wonderland was my 'home park'. At a loss to explain 'no, I'm just trying to save money here, using the conversion rate to my advantage'...I went with....'uh, yeah'. She gave me temp passes, let us in, and then said "I guess you'll have to process them there!".

I'm not planning to go there. At all. Has anyone else had issues processing their passes at parks other than the 'home park's, and more specifically Canada's wonderland? Can I plan my trip and hotels anyway, assuming that I can either process them at KI or CP in the spring (six flags makes you process them before 2019 is over).

Basically, I'm a little lost and paranoid that I screwed up here and don't know how to fix it (and hate asking here due to seeming like a complete rube).

But here I am, and I'd appreciate any and all advice/ feedback. Y'all are much more well versed than I.
Your mother was a donkey, and your father smelt of...elderberries!

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby Mike240SX » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:33 pm

Sounds like an employee that didn't know what they were doing, and supervisors that also didn't. I'm not sure if it's changed since 2017, or if the fact that it's a non-US pass that matters, but I can say for 100% certainty that I bought my pass through CPs website and processed it into a card at MiA back then. Since, I've renewed it twice at Kings Dominion, and still have my MiA card.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 145
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Fury 325, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

PreviousNext