Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4740: Cedar Points Nights 2019 details released!
Users viewing this topic: jynx242 and 31 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby prozach626 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:27 am

Put a paddle-wheel up on that bitch!

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby MrFurious » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:17 pm

DILinator wrote:Given that you apparently can buy anywhere, and activate anywhere, the question you have to ask yourself is whether getting the Free Fast Lane Plus later this year at Worlds of Fun is more important than saving money through the exchange rate at Canada's Wonderland. I am going to CW next month, so I bought there anyway, and used the EZ Pay plan to spread out payments. My initial up front cost for 4 passess, 1 Fun Pix, and 1 All Day Drink Plan, came out to $196 dollars. But of course, that is in Canadian. My actual cost, was only $147. So that's nearly a $50 savings. I can't imagine the exchange rate has changed much since yesterday, so that's the kind of discount you'd be looking at, purchasing at CW, and giving up the FL+ benefit. Just wanted to put that out there for you to tangibly see, since I just went through this.

I did end up purchasing 3 platinum passes, and 1 fun pix through CW. Decided that the savings essentially were better than just purchasing FL+ when we visit WOF. And, who knows, may not need it whenever we get to WOF anyway!

Decided against the dining and drink stuff. Hoping to be healthy and focus on water... and beer.

Now, I'm struggling to link my physical vouchers to the app. They want some kind of quick code, and that doesn't exist on sdny of my emails and paperwork. May have to wait until getting the physical cards.

Big thanks to y'all for helping me figure this out. I am usually a lurker on this great community. More of a consumer than a poster.

My daughter is stoked to ride some of the rides I've been showing her POV's of for years.
Your mother was a donkey, and your father smelt of...elderberries!

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby Domm » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:32 pm

tndank wrote:Also makes the season long all park FL $725 after taxes when purchased through CW. ;)

Is this true? I'm in california at Great America, current platinum passholder and considering doing all park season FL. Could I purchase a new platinum pass via CW with all park FL and activate it at Great America?

Also, does anyone know if the all park FL is FL+?

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby tndank » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:15 pm

Domm wrote:
tndank wrote:Also makes the season long all park FL $725 after taxes when purchased through CW. ;)

Is this true? I'm in california at Great America, current platinum passholder and considering doing all park season FL. Could I purchase a new platinum pass via CW with all park FL and activate it at Great America?

Also, does anyone know if the all park FL is FL+?

Click on the link at CW. Click Paypal. It will show you the conversion. Was ~$750USD through Paypal last week when I checked.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby pǝʇɹǝʌuı » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:08 pm

Visited the park today again with my brother, this time with a strong determination to ride all the rides. The park was pretty crowded and the two rides I was most looking to get on (Steel Vengeance and Valravn) had super long waits (2 hours and 1 hour, respectively) by park opening. I know this is pretty typical of those two rides, but I was hoping for a lighter crowd today with it being near the end of August, and I was sorely disappointed. So I did what any sensible enthusiast would and bought a FastLane+. It honestly was really worth it, especially with the platinum pass discount.

Some thoughts on the rides:
I've officially changed my mind about Steel Vengeance. That thing is awesome! It really keeps going forever; a perfect-length ride in my opinion. Better than Fury? The rides are so different that it's hard to say, but I'm keeping SV at #3 on my top 10 behind TTD and the aforementioned B&M giga. It's a jump from #7 after my first ride a couple weeks ago! My biggest comment is that the airtime is a little more consistent in the middle of the train--something that I did not really expect. The back feels like it has a weird delay where the airtime comes late. Not too dramatic because RMC trains are short, but I preferred row 5 over row 12 today. Didn't get to ride in the front because we got rained out at the end of the day :/

Maverick: Sorry, you're now the third best ride in the park. Great ride, though! That second launch HAULS and I can't help but think about how awesome these new Intamin blitz coasters like Taron and Taiga must be.

Millennium: Better than Fury? No. Something is just off about the drop; perhaps its my expectations. I think B&M does big first drops better, per my experience on Diamondback, Nitro, Fury, and Intimidator. I definitely can appreciate this ride, though. I've mentioned before that I was not impressed the first time I rode it; this time around I really enjoyed the fast turns and the high g's. I hope this doesn't sound like a forced appreciation, I genuinely enjoy the ride. It's just the first drop, I'm always underwhelmed.

Valravn: Only got on once. Was planning to ride later in the day but got rained out. I rode in the first row. I think this ride has good pacing and is fun! This was my first B&M dive coaster and 121st credit. I think both the hold and the drop were a bit underwhelming (I can blame the vest restraints if you want) but the big swooping elements are fun. RAWKIN pointed out that the ride looks like a script Ohio from a certain angle (Take that Michigan! They gave us our own COASTER!) so my brother and I (keep in mind we're from Columbus and by default Buckeye fans) had fun shouting the respective letters as we passed through them. Of course, they're wildly out of order when you ride, and the "h" consists of both the first and second drops, so we ended up shouting HOHOI, but hey, it's all in good fun!

Sorry if this was already posted on the forums, I was completely out of everything coaster related in 2016, but I was very impressed with this and will subject you all to another picture of this piece of art.

As far as the dive gimmick goes, Hangtime does it better. I know it's a weird comparison, but really the holding brakes on these two rides are meant to do the same thing. I like how Hangtime gets the whole train facing the ground, holds you there for a solid 5-6 seconds, and you're only secured in with a lapbar. But I really love the sheer size of Valravn and honestly its novelty. I've been itching to get on one of these dive machines for so long that it's honestly pretty satisfying to ride one AND enjoy it.

I'll stop myself before this post gets even longer but for a total ride count, thanks to FL+ we got on all the non-kiddie coasters except Cedar Creek Mine Ride and Dragster, and we got rerides on SV, Millennium, Maverick, and GateKeeper. We also got to spend some downtime in Frontiertown and went for a little stroll around the Forbidden Frontier after all the rides shut down. That us, until the music changed to a weather advisory! But huge thanks to Cedar Point for an amazing day! Nothing beats this amazing coaster collection!

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby JJLehto » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:21 pm

Gotta love a park where Maverick may be the 3rd best :)
For real, there is a reason I go to the Point every year. It's simply unparalleled.

Like the "OHIO" it may be the best thing on the ride lol I agree, those restraints should not be allowed on dives. I still prefer Sheikra to it simply cause ya get more feeling. Both kill all the speed with the too soon MCBR so its basically meh after that anyway.
Glad ya loved SV, I was afraid I over hyped it last year in my mind but yup, its unrelenting pace and length is just something else. Its perhaps the only ride where, when on it, I legit don't know what's going on!
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Fury 325, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), I305, Lightning Run
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast

Postby DILinator » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:13 pm

So glad you had a great day at CP, Inverted! It's great you got to make it back out before going back to school!

pǝʇɹǝʌuı wrote:So I did what any sensible enthusiast would and bought a FastLane+.

You would not like my take on FastLane! But then nobody on here does, so what else is new! :lol:

pǝʇɹǝʌuı wrote:I've officially changed my mind about Steel Vengeance. That thing is awesome! It really keeps going forever; a perfect-length ride in my opinion. Better than Fury? The rides are so different that it's hard to say, but I'm keeping SV at #3 on my top 10 behind TTD and the aforementioned B&M giga.

You would REALLY not like my take on TTD! :lol: It's not even a Top 5 coaster at CP, let alone overall, in my opinion! But I will admit that when it runs, (a very rare occurrence whenever I've been there recently), it is a blast! (Though I still prefer Kinga Ka in the front more. Fight me! :p )

I'm glad you enjoyed SV a lot more! I really do feel it's the perfect roller coaster, and does everything anybody could want on a coaster (besides launching), and does it well! However, it IS so different than Fury, it's really hard to compare them. Kind of like Maverick and MF. I rank SV one above Fury, but they could really be 1a and 1b they're so different.

pǝʇɹǝʌuı wrote:Millennium: Better than Fury? No.

I agree with this!

pǝʇɹǝʌuı wrote:Something is just off about the drop; perhaps its my expectations. I think B&M does big first drops better.

:wtf: :shockr: :omg: It's surprising you feel that way, because my son (who you met the other day) and I were talking not too long ago about how even after all of these years, and all the other great drops on coasters we've been on, MF still has THE BEST first drop of any coaster out there in our opinion! It's pretty much the best part of the ride in our perspective. So that's interesting you feel the complete opposite.

pǝʇɹǝʌuı wrote:I definitely can appreciate this ride, though. I've mentioned before that I was not impressed the first time I rode it; this time around I really enjoyed the fast turns and the high g's. I hope this doesn't sound like a forced appreciation, I genuinely enjoy the ride.

As with SV, I'm glad you enjoyed it a lot more this time around! I still LOVE MF, and get a thrill out of it every time I ride it! I've never really understood what it is about enthusiasts that makes so many dog this coaster, but as somebody who has ridden it 95% of the times with GP and not enthusiasts, I can attest to the fact they always feel born again after riding it!, and most consider it their fave at CP, even after SV is there!

pǝʇɹǝʌuı wrote:It's just the first drop, I'm always underwhelmed.

Again, :wtf: :shockr: :omg: ;)

pǝʇɹǝʌuı wrote:Valravn: RAWKIN pointed out that the ride looks like a script Ohio from a certain angle (Take that Michigan! They gave us our own COASTER!) so my brother and I (keep in mind we're from Columbus and by default Buckeye fans) had fun shouting the respective letters as we passed through them. Of course, they're wildly out of order when you ride, and the "h" consists of both the first and second drops, so we ended up shouting HOHOI, but hey, it's all in good fun!

F&%@ OSU!!! :lmao: :p ;)

pǝʇɹǝʌuı wrote:As far as the dive gimmick goes, Hangtime does it better. I know it's a weird comparison, but really the holding brakes on these two rides are meant to do the same thing. I like how Hangtime gets the whole train facing the ground, holds you there for a solid 5-6 seconds, and you're only secured in with a lapbar. But I really love the sheer size of Valravn and honestly its novelty. I've been itching to get on one of these dive machines for so long that it's honestly pretty satisfying to ride one AND enjoy it.

I don't feel like a dive element is any more of a "gimmick" than any other element on a coaster is, but that's a different rant for a different time. I haven't ridden Hangtime, so I'm curious how that rides. My kids and I love Dive Coasters, but pretty much always want front, for the very reason you alluded to. It's a little disappointing that you don't really feel much like you're hanging over the drop in the second and third rows. Still, I think Valravn is great, ShieKra is great, and I can't wait to ride Yukon Striker in two and a half weeks, as that looks like the best out there! I'm glad you enjoyed your ride on Valravn! (Also, props for the OG "Dive Machine" reference!)

pǝʇɹǝʌuı wrote:Nothing beats this amazing coaster collection!

Amen, and amen! I'm right there with you! Again, glad you had such a great visit! I hope to be able to enjoy a park with you again sometime when you're back in the area, maybe even CP! (Or you can come North, and marathon Shivering Timbers with me while I hum the U of M and MSU fight songs! ;) )

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

Postby pǝʇɹǝʌuı » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:50 am

DILinator wrote:
pǝʇɹǝʌuı wrote:So I did what any sensible enthusiast would and bought a FastLane+.

You would not like my take on FastLane! But then nobody on here does, so what else is new! :lol:

I've heard your take on FastLane and I sometimes agree--see my previous CP TR and my rant about the merge point for SV. I will say, however, that I very much enjoyed having it yesterday.

DILinator wrote:
pǝʇɹǝʌuı wrote:Something is just off about the drop; perhaps its my expectations. I think B&M does big first drops better.

:wtf: :shockr: :omg: It's surprising you feel that way, because my son (who you met the other day) and I were talking not too long ago about how even after all of these years, and all the other great drops on coasters we've been on, MF still has THE BEST first drop of any coaster out there in our opinion! It's pretty much the best part of the ride in our perspective. So that's interesting you feel the complete opposite.

Yeah and I'll reiterate that I really can't put my finger on it. I've ridden Millennium countless times in the front, back, and middle. Both rides yesterday were in the back, which, in my experience, has been the best seat for the first drop and it does give you airtime. Something about the shape of the drop, though, is just not quite as thrilling as many other coasters I've ridden. As far as CP goes, SV takes the cake for the best drop, then maybe Maverick, and after that Millennium. At least for me. My all time favorite is Fury, but the other B&M hypers I've ridden have really slapped on that first drop as well.

DILinator wrote:F&%@ OSU!!! :lmao: :p ;)

Basically the exact reaction I expected from you :p

DILinator wrote:I don't feel like a dive element is any more of a "gimmick" than any other element on a coaster is

I consider it like a drop track or backward launch where it's out of the ordinary from a traditional track maneuver. But I think you would agree that enthusiasts hate on "gimmicks" too much; I personally love the holding brakes on Valravn and Hangtime. If I'm not mistaken, Valravn's is short even for a B&M, so I'd love to get out to BGW or BGT and ride one of the OG American Dive Machines before I really make the call that Gerstlauer is better.

DILinator wrote:I hope to be able to enjoy a park with you again sometime when you're back in the area, maybe even CP! (Or you can come North, and marathon Shivering Timbers with me while I hum the U of M and MSU fight songs! ;) )

Yes, aboslutely! I would love to meet up again! But if I do visit MiA I may just have to skip Wolver*ne Wildcat out of spite! (haha--I make fun, but it's all in good spirits; I respect your schools up north). Let me know if you ever come out west, espeically if it's during a school break! I love a good excuse to drive down to Vegas or LA.

Postby coasterbill » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:52 am

They've transferred all of the trains on to Top Thrill Dragster.

Postby pǝʇɹǝʌuı » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:30 pm

coasterbill wrote:They've transferred all of the trains on to Top Thrill Dragster.

Yes, they were all on the track yesterday except maybe one. Didn’t see any cycling, though.

PreviousNext